Mp cheaters are ruining the game.

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
12valve
Greenhorn

Mp cheaters are ruining the game.

Post by 12valve »

It seems 1 out of 3 games I play involve cheaters. Is this just a unstoppable downfall of being open source? It's ruining the fun of mp when you research honest, and they come in and cheat there way to a easy win.
KukY
Regular
Regular

Re: Mp cheaters are ruining the game.

Post by KukY »

Well,only working solution is that you also start cheating...
zoid
Trained
Trained

Post by zoid »

Really? I've yet to run into a blatant cheater. Of course, some may just give themselves small power injections. :ninja:
12valve
Greenhorn

Post by 12valve »

well, when you see a vehicle with 3 guns mounted on it.....lol

I leave at that point.
-Kosh-
Trained
Trained

Post by -Kosh- »

There is pretty much nothing that can be done to prevent cheaters in a open source game and the network model this game uses. :(
This is a waste of space. Something important should be here.
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

take a screen shot and let us see what your on about... seeing is believing!! xD
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

I can see how honest players will end up not playing if the cheats spoil the fun.
One thing I do is have a password protected game and only allow known players in.
This creates the problem that people without friends to play with end up not being able to join an honest game.
It is a shame but playing with cheats and then suggesting that to get a game you must cheat also is a road to which the cheating will not end.
I have no solutions other than to password lock your games and only invite your friends.
smallfly
Trained
Trained

Post by smallfly »

i looked through the source code and it seems to be impossible to stop cheating completely, but i have a few ideas:

1.) delete all the built-in-cheats like "research all", "up the power" etc. because they are some kind of an invitation to cheat as you only have to call those functions i.e. via any "key bind". that way it is harder to implement cheat functionality, at least for people who don't have much experience with coding

2.) there should be an option "only allow players to join that have played 5 matches before". if you combine this new option with a user management (so that you have to login to use warzone multiplayer functionality in future) you can mark a player as cheater via warzone multiplayer frontend (i.e. in the menu opening trough the numpad enter button). a player marked 3 times (within 30 days) as cheater is automatically deleted from the warzone multiplayer list and has to start a new account. now he first has to win 5 matches again to join games with the option "only allow players to join that have played 5 matches before".

do you understand what i mean?!
Thyranim
Trained
Trained

Post by Thyranim »

so he makes 2 accounts that it is possible for him, to win 5 matches in about 5 minutes
what then???
12valve
Greenhorn

Post by 12valve »

yea, i'm thinking its way to much work to solve the problem. You would need something built into the mp servers that monitors production/research/oil to make sure the number of units and types there producing are ok at that time in the game. You won't see 50 scorpion lancers in the first 15 minutes for example. I don't see that being a viable option, I guess private games are the only way. Guess I need to join the irc chat to set one up when I want to play.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Well, most of the cheats currently being used aren't too hard to prevent (power cheats and hacked data files - we don't even need to move to a full client/server model to prevent those), but none of us appear to be bothering to. :/
smallfly
Trained
Trained

Post by smallfly »

12valve wrote:yea, i'm thinking its way to much work to solve the problem. You would need something built into the mp servers that monitors production/research/oil to make sure the number of units and types there producing are ok at that time in the game. You won't see 50 scorpion lancers in the first 15 minutes for example. I don't see that being a viable option, I guess private games are the only way. Guess I need to join the irc chat to set one up when I want to play.
In those obvious cases there should be a command line parser function that recognizes the command

"PLAYER1 IS CHEATER"

and if all players of a match send this command via console, player 1 should be kicked and saved on a black list.
new paradigm leader
Trained
Trained

Post by new paradigm leader »

iz had that when i was attacked three mins in by tiget VTOLs
i had very little power and managed to survive the artillery etc by having a borg transport and construction units which i used to hide scattered outposts long enough to survive 20 mins
Return to your designated zone or be destroyed. You are in contravention of the new paradigm.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

Zarel wrote:Well, most of the cheats currently being used aren't too hard to prevent (power cheats and hacked data files - we don't even need to move to a full client/server model to prevent those), but none of us appear to be bothering to. :/
:stare:
More like, people don't have *time* to. I will throw something up shortly.
and it ends here.
DFStormbringer
Trained
Trained

Post by DFStormbringer »

how the hell did EITHER of you get vtol in 3 min? o.O
you had to have started out at tech 2 or 3

because tech 1 theres a good 10-12 researches before you can get vtols going.