Mission 12

Warzone 2.1.x series. (Unsupported--read only!)
wztorb
New user

Mission 12

Post by wztorb »

I played version 2.1 Beta 2 in single player mode. It's very fast and stable until it comes to ...

Mission 12

With this map the performance is like 1 frame per second or lower. Units sometimes go to different directions other than I point them to, if they react at all. All other missions before have not this problem, which is 100% reproducible after reboot. Mission 12 has lakes/rivers in the map and the enemy uses hovercrafts.

Source compiled and played on:
opensuse 10.3, Kernel 2.6.22.17-0.1-bigsmp
Pentium 4 2.8 GHz
ATI RV350 AP [Radeon 9600]
2 GB RAM
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Re: Mission 12

Post by Buginator »

wztorb wrote: I played version 2.1 Beta 2 in single player mode. It's very fast and stable until it comes to ...

Mission 12

With this map the performance is like 1 frame per second or lower. Units sometimes go to different directions other than I point them to, if they react at all. All other missions before have not this problem, which is 100% reproducible after reboot. Mission 12 has lakes/rivers in the map and the enemy uses hovercrafts.

Source compiled and played on:
opensuse 10.3, Kernel 2.6.22.17-0.1-bigsmp
Pentium 4 2.8 GHz
ATI RV350 AP [Radeon 9600]
2 GB RAM
Can you upload your savegame file + dir.  (savegamename.es, savegamename.gam and savegamename folder + everything in it)

Thanks!
and it ends here.
wztorb
New user

Post by wztorb »

Here it is.
Attachments
mission12.tar.gz
(224.21 KiB) Downloaded 208 times
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

wztorb wrote: Here it is.
Thanks.  I'll check it out when I get some free time.
and it ends here.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Do you see the same problem if you start a skirmish map with water in it?
"Make a man a fire, you keep him warm for a day. Set a man on fire, you keep him warm for the rest of his life."
wztorb
New user

Post by wztorb »

Yes. Same problem here. Units speed is ok as long as they don't approach a shore. But when water surface appears on the screen I got the same low performance as in mission 12. And the surface is always scattered with a few horizontal black and grey lines, they constantly appear and disappear again. I didn't see that in version 2.0.10. When I move the screen away from the shore (units still there) to other units somewhere else, everything is fine and performance is good.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

wztorb wrote: Yes. Same problem here. Units speed is ok as long as they don't approach a shore. But when water surface appears on the screen I got the same low performance as in mission 12. And the surface is always scattered with a few horizontal black and grey lines, they constantly appear and disappear again. I didn't see that in version 2.0.10. When I move the screen away from the shore (units still there) to other units somewhere else, everything is fine and performance is good.
Which ATI drivers are you using?  Can you try the latest binary blob that ATI provides, and see if it is better?

Looks like a driver bug, and it is falling back to software rendering when water is near.
and it ends here.
wztorb
New user

Post by wztorb »

Oh bugger!
It was a driver problem. I had installed ati binary drivers long time ago and thought everything was fine, but today I found "Mesa-.." something was still activ. ("fglrxinfo" is my friend now). Installing ati drivers from ati repository is very easy with yast, but getting rid of all this "Mesa-" stuff is a real challenge. For people with a similar problem here is what I did (as root):

cd /usr/src/linux
make mrproper
make cloneconfig
make modules_prepare
make clean

rpm -e $(rpm -qa | grep fglrx)

Installed ati drivers with yast (x11-video-fglrxG01-8.45.5-1.1  and  ati-fglrxG01-kmp-bigsmp-8.45.5_2.6.22.17_0.1-1.1)

ldconfig
aticonfig --initial --input=/etc/X11/xorg.conf

reboot

Important: After that procedure don't use sax2 anymore, otherwise you will loose all ati specific settings in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
For further details look here: http://en.opensuse.org/Howto/ATI_Driver

Performance of warzone2100 2.1 Beta 2 is now like ... WOW! Mission 12 is perfect.
The few horizontal black and grey lines on water are still there, but this is not a major problem for me.

Many thanks for your hints and patience.

Cherrio!
Ursa
Trained
Trained

Post by Ursa »

ATI driver issues may resurface during updates, so be careful