How to fix the problem with oil-denying half-built derricks?

The place to discuss balance changes for future versions of the game.
(Master releases & 3.X)

Which solution do you like the most?

Poll ended at 09 Mar 2012, 14:31

Allow trucks to take over enemy partially-built structures (including derricks) by continuing building from where the enemy trucks left off, and finishing them up. (May only work if no enemy trucks are currently working on building the structure.)
14%
Allow trucks to demolish enemy partially-built structures (including derricks) while no enemy trucks are working on them. (The rate at when they're demolished may be reduced for enemy structures.)
9%
Reducing the time that oil wells burn in proportion to how complete the derrick was upon destruction (meaning that, if the derrick was only slightly built, then the well would be on fire for like only 1 second).
18%
Only set the well on fire if the derrick was already completed when it was destroyed.
17%
Give trucks the ability to capture enemy structures, including derricks, regardless of how complete they are (similar to NEXUS Link Turrets, though probably much less powerful).
5%
Have incomplete structures decay (auto-demolish), and eventually disappear, over time if they're not being worked on. (For Oil Derricks, they would not cause the well to catch on fire upon disappearing.)
14%
Add a price to Oil Derricks.
12%
Other. (Please explain.)
6%
This shouldn't be fixed at all!
5%

Total votes: 65

NoQ
Special
Special

Re: How to fix the problem with oil-denying half-built derri

Post by NoQ »

cybersphinx wrote:How about this: 1. determine "base oil", i.e. usually uncontested oil wells, by derricks from advanced bases, or otherwise marking them in the map file 2. have a "no oil rush" option that, when activated, puts some kind of cap feature on every other oil well that has to be destroyed before being able to build a derrick.

So oil rush fans can have their manic click fest, and those who don't like that can have a more relaxed start.
Very good idea (:
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

No not really, it's a part of the dynamic for a player to grab a bit more than his own side. As long as he cant control 95% of the oil because he started a bit later, or the opponent chose to keep a truck in his base one more click (which is supposedly part of the opening decision).

I don't think the burning effect will stop that 1% built rush... it would still prevent the opponent to grab his oil with a truck.
Heretic 2.3 improver and proud of it.
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

Reg312 wrote:each anti-noob stuff makes Warzone less popular, and when i see few "old" players which refuse any changes i see WZ as game without future..
so goal of my own suggestions was to make warzone more clear, and involve people in warzone more often
- remove 1%-build derricks as game tactics
- show research level on enemy units (to notice player if he was over researched)
- show locations of oil derricks on mini-map (find oil makes players angry, even Cyp was anger when he could not find his oil :P )
player who knows oil locations gets great advantage
- adjust propulsions (improve wheels, tracks) and some bodies to make more components usable
- show more droid stats in design
Calling such things "anit-noob" is propaganda and flame bait. I wish you'd stick to the facts.

Some of these things would be nice for new players as optoins. Perhaps they could be added to the limits menu? Making these things standard would dumb-down the game a bit, i think.
This is why some features aren't implemented: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7490&view=unread#p87241
Reg312
Regular
Regular

Post by Reg312 »

@effigy "anti-noob" is your term from above post ("There's nothing about opposition to this that's anti-noob")
you can listen or not listen, but we have fact at least: low oil "classic" games not so popular
and most players still dont understand game mechanics, and i think it's not fault of players but fault of game.
you can like or dislike my suggestions, i say this, and i will say this
sorry, but i can suggest only in style of propaganda :)

ah, i rememebr developers wanted to reduce number of options and make games more "standard"
was conversation about merging "base" and "adv.base" or something like that
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

Yes, I bought into your propaganda machine, briefly, lol. I know it's common place to call "new players" "noobs" these days, but "noob" was originally meant to be offensive.

Some of the developers believe options confuse new players. I think hiding such things away in the limits menu (or an evolution of it) would satisfy new/advanced players.
This is why some features aren't implemented: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7490&view=unread#p87241
zany
Trained
Trained

Post by zany »

Reg312 wrote:ah, i rememebr developers wanted to reduce number of options and make games more "standard"
:roll: where is this post? that would be a idiotic move! :annoyed:
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

zany wrote:
Reg312 wrote:ah, i rememebr developers wanted to reduce number of options and make games more "standard"
:roll: where is this post? that would be a idiotic move! :annoyed:
Why is that idiotic?
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

Because it removes options rather than create them, but I wouldn't call it idiotic. Just dumb.
Also known as Subsentient.
zany
Trained
Trained

Post by zany »

we play advanced bases all the time which make it good for about a 30 min game max
Shadow Wolf TJC
Regular
Regular

Post by Shadow Wolf TJC »

As of March 11, reducing the time that oil wells burn in proportion to how complete the derrick was upon destruction, is still in the lead. However, I personally have some doubts as to whether or not it would adequately fix the problem.

I believe that this solution (and the 2nd place solution) wouldn't exactly stop trucks from racing all around the map to cap as many oil derricks as possible. Although, it would ensure that, once they're destroyed, they wouldn't deny the oil resources to players for unbearably long periods of time like they do now.

My preferred solution would involve allowing trucks to demolish enemy half-built structures, so long as no enemy trucks were working on building up the derrick. It would ensure that players could build their own Oil Derricks as quickly as possible, even if they were being blocked off by an incomplete Derrick. Unlike with the solution to allow trucks to take over enemy partially-built structures, by continuing building from where the enemy trucks left off, and finishing them up, it would ensure that players couldn't, as a side effect of the solution, potentially steal highly-valuable structures, like fortresses, by killing off the enemy builders when the structure is almost complete, then sending in your own trucks to complete it. Sadly, it doesn't seem to be winning this poll as of now. :(

My 2nd preferred solution, on the other hand, currently lies in 3rd place. By setting a price to Oil Derricks, it would make performing such a tactic as being costly for the one performing it (especially if we're using a direct debit system). To compensate for the increase in price, players could start off with more power than they do now (currently, players start with 1300 power), and/or the price for power generators could be reduced even further (though they already cost only $50).
Last edited by Shadow Wolf TJC on 11 Mar 2012, 15:13, edited 1 time in total.
Creator of Warzone 2100: Contingency!
Founder of Wikizone 2100: http://wikizone2100.wikia.com/wiki/Wikizone_2100
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

The tactic is to deny enemy oil wells even if you don't need them.
make it so every half built oil well disabled a built one that way the practice of half building derricks will not be profitable and hence it will stop this strategy from working.
That way the player doing the half builds also denies themselves oil.
Shadow Wolf TJC
Regular
Regular

@ Berg: I'm assuming that you're picking the "Other" solution, right?
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

If you tick other then you add a solution so you are correct ,,,I thought this was a secret vote.
Don't tell anyone I voted Other
Shadow Wolf TJC
Regular
Regular

I wouldn't have to anyways, since your post is already visible for everyone to see. :P

Anyways, I've just added mention of your, and Emdek's, alternative solutions onto the title post, though if anyone's "Other" option hasn't yet been added, then please speak up so that I could add it in.
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

Shadow Wolf TJC wrote:I wouldn't have to anyways, since your post is already visible for everyone to see. :P
Omg! I wasn't wearing pants in my last post. I wish someone would have mentioned this earlier :-(

1/2 builds deactivating full builds seems like the sort of hidden game mechanics we usually try to avoid.

Adding cost to derricks is one of my votes, but I'm still in favor of reduced burn time. Is that not the most annoying part of this (the wait)? By the time you notice your enemy has done this you should have a few units or mg tower.