No textures at all.

Do you need help? Ask here!

Bug reporting belongs here: http://developer.wz2100.net/newticket
Vermithrax
Trained
Trained

Re: No textures at all.

Post by Vermithrax »

If you read previous postings, you'll see I'm using version Xcode v3.1.2 and that I could build Warzone2100 2.2_rc1.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

Vermithrax wrote:If you read previous postings, you'll see I'm using version Xcode v3.1.2 and that I could build Warzone2100 2.2_rc1.
Whoops! I missed that.

Hmm... will have to do some digging.
and it ends here.
Vermithrax
Trained
Trained

Post by Vermithrax »

I've been asked these questions before, so let me answer them before they are posed...

1) It was a fresh get into a new location.

2) It was a clean build.

I used to do release control.
jaakan
Trained
Trained

Post by jaakan »

/Developer/usr/bin/gcc-4.0 -x c -arch ppc
I saw that line in the log and I have 2 questions

1: What are the specs of your mac?

2: if thats mac has an intel chip in it won't that line I quoted above from that posted log be wrong?

I'm not a mac person and have never used xcode but those two questions popped in to my head.
Vermithrax
Trained
Trained

Post by Vermithrax »

iMac details:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac8,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 3.06 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: IM81.00C1.B00
SMC Version (system): 1.30f1
Serial Number (system): QP8420PB0KM

NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS
Type: Display
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 512 MB

I'm not hugely familiar with Xcode either (never used it until yesterday) but from what I can tell, it's quite happy compiling for PPC Macs as well as Intel.
Speedball
New user

Post by Speedball »

I'm experiencing exactly the same issue, where all ground textures are blank, regardless of texture size and screen resolution. This is using the latest 2.2_rc1-fmv distribution for Mac. Below are the system stats, and attached is a (compressed) result from running

./Warzone --debug all --debugfile ~/wz_dump.txt

to the point of having loaded the level, staring at the blank textures, then exiting the game.

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro3,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP31.0070.B07
SMC Version (system): 1.18f2
Serial Number (system): W87350T8XA9
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

GeForce 8600M GT:

Chipset Model: GeForce 8600M GT
Type: Display
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0407
Revision ID: 0x00a1
ROM Revision: 3175
Displays:
Color LCD:
Resolution: 1920 x 1200
Depth: 32-Bit Color
Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Supported
Built-In: Yes
Display Connector:
Attachments
wz_dump.txt.zip
Debug file
(20.65 KiB) Downloaded 179 times
Vermithrax
Trained
Trained

Post by Vermithrax »

Well, I have progress.

The attached screenshot is from a trunk build. I was able to get it to compile by replacing the GLee.c and GLee.h files. I don't know if either of these was strictly necessary, but the GLee.h certainly was.

These files are from the GL Easy Extension Library, and are readily found on the internet. The version numbers of the files I downloaded (5.4) are the same as those in the trunk.

I don't know where else to put these files so the developers here can get them, so they are attached below.

Now the interesting thing about this screenshot is the terrain textures. They are there, and the game looks a whole lot better as a result. It is obviously not a complete solution, but I think this is progress, and it shows that drivers are not the entire problem. Nor is memory, incidentally. A resolution of 640x480 and 64k textures has the same appearance. If I were to hazard a guess, I'd speculate that possibly some texture files are missing.

Switching Fog to Mist still doesn't work, incidentally.

Still hopefully this helps.
Attachments
GLee.h
(932.87 KiB) Downloaded 222 times
GLee.c
(1.05 MiB) Downloaded 180 times
Warzone snapshot.jpg
lowededwookie
Trained
Trained

Post by lowededwookie »

Problem appears to be something with Mac OS X 10.5.7.

I rebuilt my machine and tried WZ before doing any updates. It worked bar the dodgy black blocks but that's livable.

Upgrade to 10.5.7 and I get the white textures.

Maybe something to do with an update to OpenGL or something. If I recall there was an issue with Apple's OpenGL in the past but I can't remember if it was WZ or VegaStrike.
Vermithrax
Trained
Trained

Post by Vermithrax »

So your screens look somewhat like my screenshot?
EvilGuru
Regular
Regular

Post by EvilGuru »

File a bug report with Apple.

Regards, Freddie.
Vermithrax
Trained
Trained

Post by Vermithrax »

What would you have this bug report say, that would assist Apple in tracking down and fixing the problem?
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

Vermithrax wrote:What would you have this bug report say, that would assist Apple in tracking down and fixing the problem?
Something along the lines of the 10.5.6 nvidia drivers worked for this game, but the 10.5.7 nvidia drivers don't work correctly, and then provide a link to the game.
Vermithrax wrote:Well, I have progress.

The attached screenshot is from a trunk build. I was able to get it to compile by replacing the GLee.c and GLee.h files. I don't know if either of these was strictly necessary, but the GLee.h certainly was.

These files are from the GL Easy Extension Library, and are readily found on the internet. The version numbers of the files I downloaded (5.4) are the same as those in the trunk.
Trunk rendering engine is different from the way 2.2/2.1 was done. At least you can see come textures now.

However, about GLee, we are using 5.4, which is the latest version as you mentioned. That is another odd issue.
and it ends here.
Vermithrax
Trained
Trained

Post by Vermithrax »

I just did a get from the latest trunk, and in order to get it to build using Xcode, I had to replace the GLee.c file. It appears, in my exercise described above, that file is the important one.

I would be interested to learn if anyone's tried a build with Xcode in the last day or so apart from myself, and if it was successful or not.
Vermithrax
Trained
Trained

Post by Vermithrax »

Sorry to keep flagellating a rigid equine, but take a look at these two screenshots. As far as possible, they are the same capture, right after mission start, at the same resolution.

The top one is from version 2.0.10. Obviously the terrain textures are working properly. The artifacts are the result of the screenshot, not the code.

Now the second one is from the result of my own build from the trunk, after I replaced the GLee.c and GLee.h files so it would build without error.

Notice that the terrain textures are mostly present, except for some very specific ones. Take a look at the textures missing from this image, and how they correspond to textures in the previous image. It's the road, and the crater.

Is it possible that these textures are missing from the trunk build, or that there's a problem with loading them? I'm just thinking that before we rely on NVIDIA and Apple to fix the possible driver problem, perhaps it would be possible to check further.

Could the missing texture in the second screenshot be identified and a debug build run to determine what's happening with it?

The reason I say this is that I have seen in the past the same software, running with, as far as possible the same drivers and the same OS, exhibit problems on one PC but not another. The difference between the two was the mother board. The solution was not a driver fix, but a code fix.
Attachments
Version 2.0.10
Version 2.0.10
Build from trunk
Build from trunk
EvilGuru
Regular
Regular

Post by EvilGuru »

It works on other Macs without nvidia cards. It works on Macs with nvidia cards pre 10.5.7. It works on other operating systems with and without nvidia hardware.

2.0.10 renders its terrain differently to 2.2.x which again is different from trunk. However, trunk uses 2.2.x renderer as a fallback when the new-style tiles are not available. (Hence why some work and some don't, those that don't are old tiles.)

It is therefore very likely to be an nvidia/10.5.7 and a bug report should be filed with Apple accordingly.

Regards, Freddie.