Defenses Targeting

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
Sekmeton
Trained
Trained

Defenses Targeting

Post by Sekmeton »

Basically that... I don't know if it's possible, but It would be great if you could select a defensive structure (Direct fire) and choose your target... It's very annoying when your Hardened Cannons start shooting to irrelevant units instead the important ones... It would be like... you know... Age of empires.
I guess the towers and bunkers are not empty so... It's not illogical

Probably someone came up with this idea before... If that's the case, I'm sorry.
Maybe I should remove my location o_O
XboxJosh
Trained
Trained

Re: Defenses Targeting

Post by XboxJosh »

I agree with this 100%.

Alias: Cipher[SSC]

System Specs:
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 7 Professional
CPU TYPE: AMD Athlon II X2 250
CPU SPEED: 3000 MHz
SYSTEM MEMORY: 4 GB (2 x 2GB, DDR2)
GRAPHICS CARD MODEL: NVidia GTS 250
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Overpowered in the case of artillery.
Sekmeton
Trained
Trained

Post by Sekmeton »

Zarel wrote:Overpowered in the case of artillery.
The artillery itself is overpowered if you know how to use it properly...

I don't know if you can discriminate between Direct and Indirect fire... but my idea points to Direct fire structures...

Besides, look at the long range artillery (I mean the real life one)... you determinate some coordinates, aim using degrees and Fire...
Maybe I should remove my location o_O
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Yeah. This idea is otherwise already on the to-do list.
Kacen
Trained
Trained

Post by Kacen »

Zarel wrote:Overpowered in the case of artillery.
Might as well make it impossible to target anything.

I don't see how it would be overpowered...at all.
pmat
Rookie
Rookie

Post by pmat »

I found a trick with artillery, I don't know if it's a bug or a "feature".

Basically, I construct a sensor unit and I trap it within hardcretes so the unit can't get out. After that, I target an enemy unit or building on the map and all artillery in range of fire will shoot at the target. Using this trick and Archangel batteries you can destroy a complete enemy base without risking to loose your sensor unit.

It's not very funny but in skirmish mode against 7 AI I found too difficult to get out of my base.
Avestron
Trained
Trained

Post by Avestron »

How about incorporating base defense coordination into Command Relay Centers?

Through copy-pasting the Las Sat code section and replacing the Las Sat itself with base defense coordinating functions this could work well.

(Upgraded) Command Centers may be assigned defensive structures for as long as they are in range - which I figure would not nearly match a sensor. Range may be extended via a new tower - a Command Relay tower - which basically enables a center to be assigned structures normally out of its range. A chain of such towers can extend command clear across the map - but of course each tower is a potential target and if a non-redundant tower goes - control beyond that tower is lost until restored.

Defenses cut off revert to normal unguided operation.
Kacen
Trained
Trained

Post by Kacen »

pmat wrote:I found a trick with artillery, I don't know if it's a bug or a "feature".

Basically, I construct a sensor unit and I trap it within hardcretes so the unit can't get out. After that, I target an enemy unit or building on the map and all artillery in range of fire will shoot at the target. Using this trick and Archangel batteries you can destroy a complete enemy base without risking to loose your sensor unit.

It's not very funny but in skirmish mode against 7 AI I found too difficult to get out of my base.
Not a glitch. When I have stationary artillery and make a mobile sensor vehicle with mobile artillery assigned and attack enemies with it, my stationary artillery attacks too if it's in range.

Stationary artillery is automatically assigned to stationary and mobile sensors.

Mobile artillery needs to be manually assigned to stationary or mobile sensors.
pmat
Rookie
Rookie

Post by pmat »

Yep I'm OK with that.

The only bug is that the sensor orders artillery to shoot event if the target is NOT in sensor range of the unit. Eg you can order your artillery to shoot directly behind the enemy defense lines without having to move your sensor unit.
Kacen
Trained
Trained

Post by Kacen »

Mmm I did notice it seemed to be doing it, I just didn't do control tests to confirm such.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Fixed for future release (r8177).