Cant get rid of this mod!

Do you need help? Ask here!

Bug reporting belongs here: http://developer.wz2100.net/newticket
Verin
Trained
Trained

Cant get rid of this mod!

Post by Verin »

I cant get rid of this NTW mod light that i somehow picked up hile joining a server. How do i get rid of it? I use an iMac, slightly newer version.

ive tried re installing, and deleting stuff but it's still there!!! please help as i can no longer host 8 player servers. or any servers at all. or join ANY games and it is PISSING me off
My multiplayer name is Verin
Usually in ideas and suggestions.
I Am also an ASE certified technician.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Re: Cant get rid of this mod!

Post by Zarel »

Delete the NTW map. It causes crashes in multiplayer.
Last edited by Zarel on 15 Jul 2010, 01:16, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: rephrase
Timmie
Greenhorn

Post by Timmie »

got the same problem.
but how do we delete this mod, because I want to delete this mod, but I dont want to delete all these maps I downloaded during all my mplayer games. I cant find any of thse back in my warzone folder. O_o

nvm,
got it, it was this file 8c-Team-Base_with_NTW-Mod-Light.wz
in my
D:\Mijn documenten\Warzone 2100 2.3\maps folder.
Last edited by Timmie on 14 Jul 2010, 19:08, edited 1 time in total.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Find a map containing "NTW" and delete that. You don't have to delete your other maps.
Timmie
Greenhorn

Post by Timmie »

got it
Verin
Trained
Trained

Post by Verin »

how can i get to that file? ims till having trouble. im not worried about the virus, i just dont know how to get to it.

ive tried Finder --> WZ2100 --> show package contents and deleted the NTW mod.

Ill try some different things before i post again.
Verin
Trained
Trained

Post by Verin »

I have searched all files warzone related and have not found what i needed to delete. the mod still remains.

what file contains all of the maps, mods and multiplayer data. ill just delete it all and start over.
Crymson
Trained
Trained

Post by Crymson »

Zarel wrote:Delete the NTW map. It's a virus of sorts.
O_o
Dude, WTF? You have people bitching about real virii and then you come along and call this hybrid map/mod a virus ? :roll:
Verin wrote:I have searched all files warzone related and have not found what i needed to delete. the mod still remains.

what file contains all of the maps, mods and multiplayer data. ill just delete it all and start over.
It is in you config directory.
Check the wiki for file locations for your platform.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Verin wrote:I have searched all files warzone related and have not found what i needed to delete. the mod still remains.

~/Library/Application Support/Warzone 2100 2.3/maps/

("~" is your user folder)
Crymson wrote:O_o
Dude, WTF? You have people bitching about real virii and then you come along and call this hybrid map/mod a virus ? :roll:
Well, technically, it's a virus. It automatically propagates (if you host a game with it, it will infect everyone that joins) and causes undesirable behavior (crashes if you join/host games using any other map). The very definition of a virus. Plus, embedding a mod into a map is forbidden by the map spec.

It does sound a bit more alarmist than it should, though, so I've rephrased the original statement. Thanks for the catch.

(P.S. the plural of "virus" is "viruses".)
Verin
Trained
Trained

Post by Verin »

Your string cannot be followed. i cannot find the library and when i do get to warzone by other means there is no maps folder.

I am a smarter than average person when it comes to computers. I don't know why i cant find the maps folder I dont really have it installed i play it from an icon in the desktop. I right click it to open it's package contents, and nowhere in those contents can i find maps. only mods, and other useless items. i have deleted the NTW mod since that is what it's called and still got no result.

The whole motivation of playing and contributing tot his game has just flown out the window thanks to the in-ablility to host and join multiplayer sessions. I will try the irc to see if anyone can help me there.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Verin wrote:Your string cannot be followed. i cannot find the library and when i do get to warzone by other means there is no maps folder.

I am a smarter than average person when it comes to computers. I don't know why i cant find the maps folder I dont really have it installed i play it from an icon in the desktop. I right click it to open it's package contents, and nowhere in those contents can i find maps. only mods, and other useless items. i have deleted the NTW mod since that is what it's called and still got no result.
Okay, it should look like this:
Screen shot 2010-07-14 at 6.40.21 PM.png
Except replace "zarel" with your own username.
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

Crymson wrote:Dude, WTF? You have people bitching about real virii and then you come along and call this hybrid map/mod a virus ? :roll:
More like a trojan, since it doesn't spread by itself. But when was anyone actually bitching about a real virus (as opposed to believing their snake oil)?
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

cybersphinx wrote:More like a trojan, since it doesn't spread by itself. But when was anyone actually bitching about a real virus (as opposed to believing their snake oil)?
No, it's a virus, since it spreads by having people host games with it. Trojans don't spread at all. Worms spread with no user interaction. Viruses spread by interaction. So this thing is a virus. :P
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

Zarel wrote:No, it's a virus, since it spreads by having people host games with it. Trojans don't spread at all. Worms spread with no user interaction. Viruses spread by interaction. So this thing is a virus. :P
Viruses spread by themselves, trojans need someone to push the horse. This needs someone to host a game with it. "It is a harmful piece of software that looks legitimate. Users are typically tricked into loading and executing it on their systems" seems to fit quite well.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Well, no, since you have to manually download a trojan. The NTW map, on the other hand, is automatically transferred if you join a game hosting it.

Anyway, terminology isn't that important. The question is, can we fix this? I think one possible solution would be to have Warzone reject all maps with that name.