Let's discuss strategy

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
Arreon
Trained
Trained

Let's discuss strategy

Post by Arreon »

If you have any gameplay tips or strategies for me that work for you, please let me know.

Vice versa, if you need any tips or strategies, I may be able to help.
Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1045T (6 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Re: Let's discuss strategy

Post by Zarel »

Zarel's Strategy Tips For 2.1.1:

1. Truck rush. If you're on a small map and you're playing T1 No Bases, immediately build a research facility, then send a truck out while you research Machinegun, then Machinegun Guard Tower. By the time your truck gets to the enemy base, around the time Machinegun Guard Tower has finished researching, start building towers. Your opponent will go down pretty quickly if caught unprepared. This strategy works very well against the AI.

2. Truck rush. If you're playing T2/T3 No Bases, well, first of all, you're insane, and second of all, you're going to lose unless you truck rush.

3. Research rush. Warzone is a game in which research means everything. 2 fully upgraded Light Cannon tanks, for instance, are more powerful than 28 un-upgraded Light Cannon tanks. Upgrade everything you use. Nearly every upgrade is worth getting, especially research upgrades (Synaptic Link Data Analysis) and power upgrades (Gas Turbine Generator).

4. Resource rush. Like every other RTS, resources are important. If someone has significantly more oil than you, that person has a huge advantage over you. Send your trucks out as early as possible, build oil derricks as early as possible. If it's the really-early game, don't even worry about defense - you can build defenses further ahead, and MG Guard Tower isn't going to stop your enemy at all by midgame, anyway.

5. Flamer rush. Flamer cyborgs are overpowered. Exploit this. (Bonus points if you airdrop your flamers using a Cyborg Transport.) Be aware of flamers' weaknesses, though - they do barely any damage to walls and CCs.

6. Mortar push. Mortar pits and Bombard pits are overpowered. Exploit this. (But don't get Pepperpot; it's useless)

7. Cannon push. Heavy Cannon Python Tracks are very powerful, especially massed.

8. VTOLs. Most people neglect AA since most people neglect VTOLs. Use this to your advantage by massing a large army of HPV or Pulse Laser VTOLs and sending them at your enemy. Although if your game lasts long enough for someone to get Pulse Laser, something wrong is happening.

Any good Warzone player uses these tactics - ask around.
Tiberian
Trained
Trained

Post by Tiberian »

Zarel wrote:Zarel's Strategy Tips For 2.1.1:

5. Flamer rush. Flamer cyborgs are overpowered. Exploit this. (Bonus points if you airdrop your flamers using a Cyborg Transport.) Be aware of flamers' weaknesses, though - they do barely any damage to walls and CCs.

6. Mortar push. Mortar pits and Bombard pits are overpowered. Exploit this. (But don't get Pepperpot; it's useless)
Careful not to rely on these too much though, since they're probably changing soon. (Zarel should know something about that)
PkK
Trained
Trained

Post by PkK »

7. Cannon push. Heavy Cannon Python Tracks are very powerful, especially massed.
I wouldn't say the mortars are overpowered: 7 perfectly counters 6: Heavy cannon python vehicles are very resistant to mortar fire. A heavy cannon python group will easily reach the mortar pits and destroy them without taking significant losses.

Philipp
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

PkK wrote:I wouldn't say the mortars are overpowered: 7 perfectly counters 6: Heavy cannon python vehicles are very resistant to mortar fire. A heavy cannon python group will easily reach the mortar pits and destroy them without taking significant losses.
You've clearly never tried a heavy cannon python group against someone who knows how to use mortars correctly. A heavy cannon python group can't really beat an equivalent bombard pit array, except maybe in late-game.
Mysteryem
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Mysteryem »

Zarel wrote: You've clearly never tried a heavy cannon python group against someone who knows how to use mortars correctly. A heavy cannon python group can't really beat an equivalent bombard pit array, except maybe in late-game.
Hehe, talk about it. I played a game where I was attacked by about 15 to 20 heavy cannon python tracks. My 4 bombard pits, 4 tank traps and 2 lancer bunkers destroyed them all. At the loss of one of the bunkers and 3 of the tank traps.
"...If pure awesomeness were bricks, this would be the Great Wall of China...
The glory of this has collapsed on its self so far, that even the neutrons have collapsed."
Arreon
Trained
Trained

Post by Arreon »

1. Truck rush. If you're on a small map and you're playing T1 No Bases, immediately build a research facility, then send a truck out while you research Machinegun, then Machinegun Guard Tower. By the time your truck gets to the enemy base, around the time Machinegun Guard Tower has finished researching, start building towers. Your opponent will go down pretty quickly if caught unprepared. This strategy works very well against the AI.

2. Truck rush. If you're playing T2/T3 No Bases, well, first of all, you're insane, and second of all, you're going to lose unless you truck rush.

3. Research rush. Warzone is a game in which research means everything. 2 fully upgraded Light Cannon tanks, for instance, are more powerful than 28 un-upgraded Light Cannon tanks. Upgrade everything you use. Nearly every upgrade is worth getting, especially research upgrades (Synaptic Link Data Analysis) and power upgrades (Gas Turbine Generator).

4. Resource rush. Like every other RTS, resources are important. If someone has significantly more oil than you, that person has a huge advantage over you. Send your trucks out as early as possible, build oil derricks as early as possible. If it's the really-early game, don't even worry about defense - you can build defenses further ahead, and MG Guard Tower isn't going to stop your enemy at all by midgame, anyway.

8. VTOLs. Most people neglect AA since most people neglect VTOLs. Use this to your advantage by massing a large army of HPV or Pulse Laser VTOLs and sending them at your enemy. Although if your game lasts long enough for someone to get Pulse Laser, something wrong is happening.

Any good Warzone player uses these tactics - ask around.
4: Resource rush works especially well on High Ground, where you can seal both entrances to the resources with bunkers.

6: I've found a use for Pepperpot. Place them near a resource you know you can't control, and when the enemy sends trucks and cyborgs to rebuild the resources, they will be destroyed. This is a good way to make the enemy waste resources he needs to keep.

7: The problem with the cannon rush is that it's expensive, and you need to protect yourself with defenses from sneak attacks.

8: I do not like TVOLs when the enemy uses them against me. He always finds a way past my AA and bombs my factories and derricks. Worse still, EVERY enemy on the map always goes after me. One enemy sends about 10 VTOLs per attack, so if there are seven enemy players, all with VTOLs... :gonk:

By the way, you would never believe what my ally did the other day, he created nearly 300 VTOLs. They were all the same type.
Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1045T (6 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
PkK
Trained
Trained

Post by PkK »

Zarel wrote: You've clearly never tried a heavy cannon python group against someone who knows how to use mortars correctly. A heavy cannon python group can't really beat an equivalent bombard pit array, except maybe in late-game.
Well, I'm new to the game and never tried a heavy cannon python group yet, but I've often been defeated by them.
Just yesterday: 2 vs 2, me in the upper left corner, enemy in the upper right one. My ally leaves soon after game start, his ally leaves some time later. I have about 8 bombard pits, with quite some upgrades for them, two sensor towers nearby, a few machine gun bunkers and a flamer bunker in front. The halftrack pythons with heavy cannons just drive into my base ignoring defenses, destroy most buildings there before retreating (my mortars had destroyed more than half of them at that point); luckily I was able tohide some trucks. Twice. I then build more bunkers, some there is no place left to drive into my base, but the effort to rebuild my base left me no energy to research air defenses, so when some time later VTOLs show up it's the end.

Philipp
PkK
Trained
Trained

Post by PkK »

Mysteryem wrote: Hehe, talk about it. I played a game where I was attacked by about 15 to 20 heavy cannon python tracks. My 4 bombard pits, 4 tank traps and 2 lancer bunkers destroyed them all. At the loss of one of the bunkers and 3 of the tank traps.
Tank traps? According to the Warzone guide these have 200 hp, thus are destroyed by a single hit from a moderatly upgraded heavy cannon. How can this setup stop such a large number of these seemingly indestructible vehicles? What keeps them from just driving to the mortar pits or even beyond into the base?

Philipp
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

True.

To counter flamer rush - build walls around your base, and rush for mortars.

To counter mortars - keep harassing him to keep him away from oil, kill his trucks before they can advance mortar positions, and rush for VTOLs.

To counter cannons... build flamers or mortars, or exploit the superior range of massed missile defenses. Or build your own cannon army.

To counter VTOLs, rush for Cyclone AA, doing Hurricane AA only as a stopgap measure. Do not forget to research AA upgrades.
Mysteryem
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Mysteryem »

PkK wrote: Tank traps? According to the Warzone guide these have 200 hp, thus are destroyed by a single hit from a moderatly upgraded heavy cannon. How can this setup stop such a large number of these seemingly indestructible vehicles? What keeps them from just driving to the mortar pits or even beyond into the base?

Philipp
The tank traps just sat there so they were destroyed first and the enemy units wasted their ammunition on them instead of the other structures.
"...If pure awesomeness were bricks, this would be the Great Wall of China...
The glory of this has collapsed on its self so far, that even the neutrons have collapsed."
PkK
Trained
Trained

Post by PkK »

Per wrote: To counter flamer rush - build walls around your base, and rush for mortars.
I don't think you can get the mortars as fast as the other guy gets the flamers. There are maps where there isn't just one entry to be blocked by walls. Even where there is one you're shutting yourself off from most energy sources this way and thus are going to loose in the long term.

Philipp
devastator
Trained
Trained

Post by devastator »

Pkk i've just killed you!I used flamers.I agree about walls and mortairs.U can't get mortairs as fast as flamers ,but i can get walls early.my nick was IMPEROR
And you can surround your oils with harcrete.I did it.
PkK
Trained
Trained

Post by PkK »

devastator wrote:Pkk i've just killed you!I used flamers.I agree about walls and mortairs.U can't get mortairs as fast as flamers ,but i can get walls early.my nick was IMPEROR
And you can surround your oils with harcrete.I did it.
Well, on that map there were 4 direct corridors between your and my base. OK, it would have possible to build those walls had I noticed what you were up to. Nevertheless, that means that on every map one has to build walls like mad to be safe from the flamer cyborgs.

Philipp
devastator
Trained
Trained

Post by devastator »

I advise you to use "right enter" to see enemies unit.