Commander

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
Troman
Trained
Trained

Re: Commander

Post by Troman »

Giel wrote: * Yup.. it is. :'(

Actually it isn't entirely, some functionality is hardcoded other parts are scripted (don't ask me for the exact functionality separation though).
Some parts of unit AI can be overridden using the scripts, but most of the unit AI is hardcoded.
Cooldude wrote: 1-First wat we need to modify is the unit movement ,In my games evry tank just tries to cramp  through a small area of 2-3 tiles..Its extreemly annoying.
Very annoying indeed, as well as the famous 'ant tails'. If it is hard for a human to control units just think hard it is for AI, the effectiveness decreases rapidly. The solution is formations.
Cooldude wrote: 2-The commander must stay at the back of the army rather than in the front lines which happens to me all the time.
Yep, agreed again. I was thinking about this myself earlier today, since i'm now implementing commanders into Aivolution and commanders just die too easily.
Last edited by Troman on 20 Aug 2007, 22:05, edited 1 time in total.
?topic=1617.0
fryBASS
Greenhorn

Post by fryBASS »

Troman wrote: Very annoying indeed, as well as the famous 'ant tails'. If it is hard for a human to control units just think hard it is for AI, the effectiveness decreases rapidly. The solution is formations.
Yeah, some formations would be great!  Especially like a box formation, where you could keep your machine guns on your outside and your repair turrets etc in the middle.
Serman
Trained
Trained

Post by Serman »

Don't commanders have the greatest body points out of all the other turrets?

But yeah, I agree that in an army of tanks, commanders, sensors, repair units etc should be in the back, to avoid being killed right on the spot.

Also, what usually happens, the repair units attempt to get close to the enemy, and "attack" and end up being the first to die.
cruise
Trained
Trained

Post by cruise »

You can tell that the developers of WZ2100 tried hard to remove as much micromanagement as possible - the "auto-return to base on damage" options, the commanders acting as delivery points, the CB and VTOL strike towers, etc. etc.

All of these let you focus on strategy instead of tactics which is much preferable to me. One of the reasons why I like the game so much. My other favourite being TA, which also had a wonderful GUI that made it easy to automate lots of processes.

If a unit could learn some idea of where the enemy is wrt. itself and its home base then units would be a lot more intelligent generally - they wouldn't try and retreat /through/ enemy lines, and commanders and repair turrets could stay back, etc. But this is not an easy problem, especially once units start flanking or breaking through - any idea of "battle lines" becomes hopelessly lost.
[ cruise / casual-tempest.net / transference.org ]