Odd behaviors.

Warzone 2.1.x series. (Unsupported--read only!)
michealPW
Greenhorn

Odd behaviors.

Post by michealPW »

Hi, everybody!
Thanks a lot for your time, and for a great game!

You'll have to excuse me, I'm new to GNU/Linux. I compiled Warzone 2.1 Beta 2 (From wz2100.net, more info in my signature) and discovered a couple of odd behaviors.

First, at 1024x768, the cursor is unaligned. It seems to be displayed below where it should be.

Secondly, and also at 1024x768, when in Fullscreen GNOME keeps taking control. As if I had alt+tabbed out of the game, GNOME suddenly catches all my input from mouse and keyboard. I have to use Alt+tab, which seems to send control to GNOME (again?) and then alt+tab once more to get my input to go to Warzone. Quite annoying:(

Third and finally, The gnome-screensaver program activates the screen saver while I'm playing. I can use an applet to suspend the screensaver, or I can literally disable the screensaver to work around the issue.

After more investigating, I discovered that the odd behaviors do not effect the lower resolutions. I tried to see how the combination of resolutions, trapped cursors and coloured cursors worked (Or didn't) together.

Here are my notes...

Code: Select all

-First, trapping (trapCursor=0) has no effect.
 in a Window, my cursor still leaves the window...
-Second, no option I could think of would disable
 the use of coloured ("clr") cursors.

Options I've tried
 ------------------
	ColouredCursor=0
	ColouredCursors=0
	ColoredCursor=0
	ColoredCursors=0
	colourCursor=0
	colourCursors=0
	colouredCursor=0
	colouredCursors=0
	cursorColours=0
	cursorColour=0
	cursorColors=0
	cursorColor=0
	cursorColoured=0
	cursorColored=0

1024x768
--------
	-clrCursor in full is unaligned;
	-clrCursor in a window is unaligned;

800x600
-------
	-clrCursor in full is aligned;
	-clrCursor in a window is aligned;

640x480
-------
	-clrCursor in full is aligned;
	-clrCursor in a window is aligned;
Here is my config file...

Code: Select all

width=1024
bpp=32
playaudiocds=1
type=12
masterserver_name=lobby.wz2100.net
gamma=20
radarTerrainMode=0
radarObjectMode=0
voicevol=100
masterserver_port=9997
sound=1
showFPS=0
sequences=0
textureSize=128
shake=0
debugmode=0
power=400
playerName=michealPW
visfog=1
fxvol=100
scroll=1000
forceName=Canada
fullscreen=1
phrase0=
difficulty=1
phrase1=
colour=0
mouseflip=1
trapCursor=0
phrase2=
gameserver_port=9999
phrase3=
phrase4=
framerate=60
cdvol=50
height=768
alliance=0
reopenBuild=1
shadows=1
base=1
gameName=My Game
ColouredCursor=0
maxPlay=4
fog=1
allowSubtitles=0
subtitles=1
mapName=Rush
Softwares
Linux 2.6.24-19-generic(SMP)
Ubuntu 8.04
fglrx 8.6
SDL 1.2.11
Warzone 2.1b2

Hardwares
[email protected]
ATI Radeon x1600
VIA VT8237(Audio)
VIA VT6102(Network)
Maxtor 6K040L0
michealPW
Greenhorn

Re: Coloured cursors.

Post by michealPW »

I wish I could edit the above post. It has a number of rather important errors I missed, heehee.... Oh well...

Correction 1
I can not seem to get coloured cursors to turn on with Warzone 2.1_beta2, compiled with GCC 4.2.3 in the environment described in my signature. Please, excuse the above (Rather important...) mistake. I thought the option was on by default and was trying to shut it off. I incorrectly assumed that the custom shaped cursor was what the option meant. After "Giel" ("Gial"?:P) on IRC explained that the feature would change the actual colours, I clued into the fact that I was trying to disable that which was already disabled... The only coloured cursor I have ever seen was (I think,) a sensor which was a nice teal / blue cross-hair. Other than that, it's always white (For move, attack, repair, build etc. All are white.) I'd like to be able to test this feature out, or is it unusable at this point? I put ColouredCursor=1 in my config but I still only see white cursors.

Correction 2
Cursor trap works fine with Warzone 2.1_beta2, compiled with GCC 4.2.3 on the environment described in my signature.

Addition 1
I have been doing some experimenting with different versions of Warzone and different setups and discovered a workaround to my cursor alignment and repeatedly alt+tabbing behaviors. I have observed that both of the symptoms seem to be a couple. That is to say, when one's affecting Warzone, so is the other.

I think it has some kind of link between my GNOME 2.22.2 desktop environment's resolution. Warzone resolutions equal to or greater than GNOME will cause the symptoms, but Warzone resolutions less than GNOME will not have any issues.

For example, if I have GNOME at 1024x768, I cannot run Warzone at 1024x768 or above without the issues, however 800x600 and 640x480 work correctly. If I set GNOME to 1280x1024, I can run Warzone at 1024x768 without any issues, but I cannot run Warzone at 1280x1024. So, with that logic I deduce I can run Warzone at any resolution, as long as I set GNOME to a resolution slightly higher than the one desired.

If anyone could elaborate more for me, it would be much appreciated.

Sorry again for any inconvenience.
Thanks a lot for your time.
Softwares
Ubuntu 8.04
fglrx 8.6
SDL 1.2.11
Warzone 2.1b2

Hardwares
[email protected]
ATI Radeon x1600
VIA VT8237(Audio)
VIA VT6102(Network)
Maxtor 6K040L0
Baum
Trained
Trained

Re: Odd behaviors.

Post by Baum »

For the colo(u)red cursors, try the option HWCursor=0. Apparently this stands for hardware cursor which I'm assuming means the black and white cursors drawn by SDL and not the color bitmap ones (although I could have it backwards). I've never actually tried the option but I've forced color cursors in the code while trying to hunt down a bug and they seemed to work just fine.

Also, there are some Ubuntu bug reports (e.g. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... +bug/32457 and https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/163865) for some gnome-screensaver problems that sound like what you have experienced.
Kamaze
Regular
Regular

Post by Kamaze »

In the Nightly Beta3, there is no colored cursor option in the options menu.
But when enabling "ColouredCursor=1" in the config file, it works fine here. (Windows XP)
We all have the same heaven, but not the same horizon.
michealPW
Greenhorn

Post by michealPW »

Thanks for the input.

Baum, I'll be sure to try that option as soon as possible. Also, I had suspected gnome-screensaver as this buggy program seems to be causing a lot of problems for me. GNOME seems to cause me general pain all around. I'll be sure to investigate some more, thanks.

Kamaze, I had encountered a segFault when trying to use Nightly Beta3. I reverted back to Beta2 and then lost my saved games (Where would they have gone to, heehee? Perhaps make install keeled them!)

I'll be sure to check out Nightly Beta3 once more to see if the segFault persists, then submit a bug report. If not, I'll compare it's cursor behavior:)

Thanks a lot for the information, everyone:)
Softwares
Ubuntu 8.04
fglrx 8.6
SDL 1.2.11
Warzone 2.1b2

Hardwares
[email protected]
ATI Radeon x1600
VIA VT8237(Audio)
VIA VT6102(Network)
Maxtor 6K040L0