Everything you wanted to know about Warzone's FMVs.

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Re: Everything you wanted to know about Warzone's FMVs.

Post by Per »

To add to what Chojun said, this project (wz2100 resurrection) aims to produce a portable version released simultaneously on Windows, Linux and MacOSX that is true to the gameplay of the PC release. The wz2200 projects is producing a version on Windows-only that is more inspired by the PSX version of the game.

I hope that I did not mischaracterize either project ;)
jaywalker_eidos
Trained
Trained

Post by jaywalker_eidos »

Hopefully will have the update ready for today :)
ouch
Trained
Trained

Post by ouch »

sweet, now if you only knew someone from within Atari... ;) (trying to get another old game called "Hardwar" released open source... all emails generate a generic "thank you for contacting us..." responce and nothing else.)
jaywalker_eidos
Trained
Trained

ouch wrote:sweet, now if you only knew someone from within Atari... ;) (trying to get another old game called "Hardwar" released open source... all emails generate a generic "thank you for contacting us..." responce and nothing else.)
Hmm wonder if i do know someone at Atari..
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

jaywalker_eidos wrote:
ouch wrote:sweet, now if you only knew someone from within Atari... ;) (trying to get another old game called "Hardwar" released open source... all emails generate a generic "thank you for contacting us..." responce and nothing else.)
Hmm wonder if i do know someone at Atari..
Hmmm...Jason wants to be a hero in multiple communities. :D

BTW mods, I can't edit my original post, to post the good news.
So unsticky it, and let it fall by the wayside... but I still rather you edit it with the correct info of...

FMV's coming soon*

*thanks to jaywalker_eidos for all the hard work he has done to make this happen.
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

Buginator wrote:BTW mods, I can't edit my original post, to post the good news.
So unsticky it, and let it fall by the wayside... but I still rather you edit it with the correct info of...

FMV's coming soon*

*thanks to jaywalker_eidos for all the hard work he has done to make this happen.
oh sweet deal
Grizzly_37
Greenhorn

Post by Grizzly_37 »

I remember that game! never did finish it though...
Pnakotus
New user

Post by Pnakotus »

So what exactly is the problem with allowing the game to call FMVs that use a free codec, and people independently transferring their retail FMVs to that format? Nobody associated with the project is distributing the original FMVs, the software can't even USE the original FMVs, but owners of the retail version can jigger it to work if they want. In this way, all the project is doing is using free software to play filenames, and not violating the GPL at all. This works fine for the FS2 SCP, after all, and since you're not doing or encouraging anything even remotely illegal, there doesn't seem to be a downside.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Pnakotus wrote:So what exactly is the problem with allowing the game to call FMVs that use a free codec, and people independently transferring their retail FMVs to that format? Nobody associated with the project is distributing the original FMVs, the software can't even USE the original FMVs, but owners of the retail version can jigger it to work if they want. In this way, all the project is doing is using free software to play filenames, and not violating the GPL at all. This works fine for the FS2 SCP, after all, and since you're not doing or encouraging anything even remotely illegal, there doesn't seem to be a downside.
Dude, next time read the entire thread before posting, ok? There is no FMV problem anymore. O_o
jaywalker_eidos
Trained
Trained

I updated the wikipedia page for Warzone stating the FMV/Music had been released and some killjoy removed it saying `unnecessary`.. grr
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

jaywalker_eidos wrote:I updated the wikipedia page for Warzone stating the FMV/Music had been released and some killjoy removed it saying `unnecessary`.. grr

:scream: the killjoy should have left it the hell alone. it is necessary - as it provides a date that settles once and for all the 4+ years of freaking arguing. geez. :stressed:
Chojun
Regular
Regular

Post by Chojun »

That info certainly is pertinent to Warzone so I think it should go back in there. I'll give it a shot at sticking the info back in there.
EvilGuru
Regular
Regular

Post by EvilGuru »

I agree.

The information is important -- as now Warzone is complete -- nothing missing.

Regards, Freddie.
cruise
Trained
Trained

Post by cruise »

Wow, that's awesome news - it'd be nice to have a complete game, no matter the quality of the FMV's compared to the current day :P

Music will be nice to have, if nothing else...or is that a completely seperate issue (I just noticed we've only been talking about FMV's in this thread...)?

Oh, and thirded for Hardwar being released - that was an awesome game.
EvilGuru
Regular
Regular

Post by EvilGuru »

Don't worry, we've got music as well XD.

Regards, Freddie.