Warzone 2100 unofficial stats

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Warzone 2100 unofficial stats

Post by vexed »

Looking over the amount of downloads, and the amount of games being hosted, the conclusion so far is something along these lines:

90+% of the players are NOT interested in anything but campaign or skirmish games.
Windows is, by far, the #1 platform we have, followed by linux, and way, way, way behind are mac users.

#1 crash issue for users of windows & intel based video platforms is the craptastic video drivers that intel has. Update them!
#1 issue for crashes is the result of a race condition (that we can't seem to find/fix, so, we might just have to de-thread the only thread we have).

We get ~300 unique hits a day on forums, and about ~500 on front page. Whoops, this was very wrong, this was only for a few hours, not a full day.
We average 1 new member a day (that isn't a spammer).
We have way too many MP games that violate the rules/policy of this site, and in turn, get banned. :annoyed:
We have way too many MP hosts that kick "noobs" for whatever reason. :annoyed:
We have way too many MP users who try to spoil games. (You know who you are.) :annoyed:
/facepalm ...Grinch stole WarzoneπŸ™ˆπŸ™‰πŸ™Š contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Re: Warzone 2100 unofficial stats

Post by Rman Virgil »

Thanks for posting this. :3 There are valuable insights to be drawn, I think. Some of these trendings remain unchanged from retail 1999... and all the years after, prior to source release the tail end of 2004.
Hesterax
Trained
Trained

Post by Hesterax »

vexed wrote:Looking over the amount of downloads, and the amount of games being hosted, the conclusion so far is something along these lines:

90+% of the players are NOT interested in anything but campaign or skirmish games.
Got a problem with that? :?
Windows is, by far, the #1 platform we have, followed by linux, and way, way, way behind are mac users.

#1 crash issue for users of windows & intel based video platforms is the craptastic video drivers that intel has. Update them!
#1 issue for crashes is the result of a race condition (that we can't seem to find/fix, so, we might just have to de-thread the only thread we have).

We get ~300 unique hits a day on forums, and about ~500 on front page.
We have way too many MP games that violate the rules/policy of this site, and in turn, get banned. :annoyed:
Should explain the sudden drop of members that I experienced a few weeks ago, a while after the members list hit 5000 members.
We have way too many MP hosts that kick "noobs" for whatever reason. :annoyed:
We have way too many MP users who try to spoil games. (You know who you are.) :annoyed:
Overall thanks for posting this anyway. :)
Holocaust and Genocide, both linked to Mass Slaughter.
Rommel
Trained
Trained

Post by Rommel »

vexed wrote: We have way too many MP hosts that kick "noobs" for whatever reason. :annoyed:
Way too many MP players just up and quit when they realize one of their team is a "noob". :annoyed:

I can only host because for some reason I cannot join games, something I have never been able to resolve. Most of the time when hosting I need to wait on average around 5-10 minutes to get enough players to start an MP even with 2v2. With this 5-10 minute wait there is only so much patience one can have with noobs. My policy is to ask politely if the player is new and if so I direct them to play skirmish for some time and focus on fast production and orthodox research paths.
Moving back instead of forward
Seems to me absurd
~
Metallica - Eye of the beholder
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

Hesterax wrote:
vexed wrote:Looking over the amount of downloads, and the amount of games being hosted, the conclusion so far is something along these lines:

Now, why would you think that ? I was simply stating facts.

Should explain the sudden drop of members that I experienced a few weeks ago, a while after the members list hit 5000 members.
Huh ? What explains it ?

Rommel wrote:
Way too many MP players just up and quit when they realize one of their team is a "noob". :annoyed:
Yeah, I have noticed that as well... we know who those people are. Those are the ones I list them under 'try to spoil games'.
I can only host because for some reason I cannot join games, something I have never been able to resolve. Most of the time when hosting I need to wait on average around 5-10 minutes to get enough players to start an MP even with 2v2. With this 5-10 minute wait there is only so much patience one can have with noobs.
That would be very, very odd.
I would need to see the output of --debug=net when you try to join a game
/facepalm ...Grinch stole WarzoneπŸ™ˆπŸ™‰πŸ™Š contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Hesterax
Trained
Trained

Post by Hesterax »

vexed wrote:
Hesterax wrote:
Now, why would you think that ? I was simply stating facts.
Oh, sorry, it just seemed like it form the way that you typed it.

[/quote]
Huh ? What explains it ?
I don't know. I thought this could explain what happened a few days after the number of members in this forum dropped.
Rommel wrote:
Yeah, I have noticed that as well... we know who those people are. Those are the ones I list them under 'try to spoil games'.
I can only host because for some reason I cannot join games, something I have never been able to resolve. Most of the time when hosting I need to wait on average around 5-10 minutes to get enough players to start an MP even with 2v2. With this 5-10 minute wait there is only so much patience one can have with noobs.
That would be very, very odd.
I would need to see the output of --debug=net when you try to join a game
Holocaust and Genocide, both linked to Mass Slaughter.
Rommel
Trained
Trained

Post by Rommel »

vexed wrote: I would need to see the output of --debug=net when you try to join a game
I am in the small majority that use Mac... is there something different I need to do to get this debug output? Even if I used windows I would be unsure of what you mean by this, but thanks anyway!
Moving back instead of forward
Seems to me absurd
~
Metallica - Eye of the beholder
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

Rommel wrote:
vexed wrote: I would need to see the output of --debug=net when you try to join a game
I am in the small majority that use Mac... is there something different I need to do to get this debug output? Even if I used windows I would be unsure of what you mean by this, but thanks anyway!
I guess you open a terminal/shell on the mac, then run the game with the added parameter of --debug=net.
Then you would open your log files and see what it says.
On windows, you and append --debug=net on the shortcut and then check your logs.

BTW, the stats I posted were wrong, that wasn't for a day, that was only for a ~6 hours.
themac
Trained
Trained

Post by themac »

After a long pause I started an online match shortly. My member first said: "please do not to abbort the game". I promised not to leave until the end. But then, I realized what he meant. Warzone seems to loose the connection to players after some time. I am sure my internet connection is pretty good. Maybe his ones was not. Or the Warzone server has a bug. Or the game itself. I did not leave the match. I am so sorry. :?
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

themac wrote:After a long pause I started an online match shortly. My member first said: "please do not to abbort the game". I promised not to leave until the end. But then, I realized what he meant. Warzone seems to loose the connection to players after some time. I am sure my internet connection is pretty good. Maybe his ones was not. Or the Warzone server has a bug. Or the game itself. I did not leave the match. I am so sorry. :?
Hmm, what do your logs show ?
They usually tell you why you got disconnected.
themac
Trained
Trained

Post by themac »

He got disconnected, not me. I was the host of the game. I have no idea where to look for the log file on the Macintosh. :?