wip - forestfires -no trees yet...needs input.

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Re: wip - forestfires -no trees yet...needs input.

Post by whippersnapper »

whippersnapper wrote:Yes those Rocky Mountain Trees will look like that if you use 'em with the Arizona Tertiles.

As for Arizona vegetation... Pumpkin made textures for them but never made .pies to use them.

If you wanna see the textures I used to make the Arizona vegetation .pie models (6 all together)....

Open base.wz and go to texture pages folder and open - scroll to page 6 Arizona Features and open the .png - look at the upper left hand side ... those are the Pumpkin textures I used to make the .pies they never made.

I'm just concerned the textures are not high-rez enough for my .pies to look good in the current game binary.

I will have to test first which means I have to put my .pcx .pies into 32EW so I can place on a map to compile a .wz with em. Then I have to make my .pies reference the .png texture page in current data set, make a mini-mod with changes to the stat features file and include my .pies so that I can then run the test map.wz in-game to see how they look. Last time I looked at them in-game was running in v.1.10 and they looked pretty good - but now.... I dunno till I do the foregoing to test in v.2.2.2

I'll get a chance over the weekend to check this all out.... then I'll post screens so you can see for yourself what you think. If you decide you want to go with em I'll then give you the 32EW files and Game binary mp.wz files with instructions...

The long and the short is that if you do go ahead your gonna have to distro your map with the mini mp.wz mod because though the textures exist in the current data set the .pies / modified stat files do NOT... so whatever you place in 32EW won't show in-game without the mod.wz files running.

Hope that all makes sense.

Regards, whip :ninja:
Mysteryem wrote: I've just put together a 2.2 mod for the universal and extra features, which includes the Arizona trees and bushes. I'm uploading it here as I have run out of time and have to go now. Bye. By the way, it appears to crash in campaign so mp only!
Sweet... what timing. xD I compared our veg geometries... interesting - yours are more elegant than mine. In any case - well done Mysteryem !

Only thing that comes to mind is there may be a need to do "clump" .pies - multiple veg in one pie like the trees in the Rocky mountain set. It's a way to break-up that symmetrical look of agricultural crop rows due to the 1 to 1 relationship between a pie and a tile and thus give it a more random "wild" look. But that's just a first impression. I would have to play around more with it in 32EW proper to say for sure, I think.

@ Lav: I cheated and quickly placed these while running Mysteryem's new Feature Mod in Debug Mode.

What I mean by "cheating" is that we still have to modify-add to 32EW files so you can place these new features in the map-making phase however you have in mind. I'll look to that after work today. Unless someone else beats me to the punch - which is fine by me. :D

EDIT: What was I thinking. Mysteryem is a map maker so he probably already changed all the 32EW files necessary to place his new features in the map making phase but just didn't have time to package them up and put 'em up here as an attachment for download.... So I'm gonna wait before I possibly duplicate his efforts mainly because I'm currently working strictly with Rocky Mountain and have no plans to do any Arizona maps. All the files you need are in his binary package anyway to modify the 32EW files: .pies (make and open copies in Word Pad and change the .png referent to .pcx and add to Features Folder), add to "ObejectsList" .txt file in Data Folder, add to "Features" .txt in Stats Folder, add to "Names.txt in Stats Folder.... the extant page 6.pcx in the TEXPAGES Folder should work fine and not have to be replaced. I think that covers all the 32EW changes.

Attachments
Lav with Mysteryems new Features.jpg
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

On those "Clump" .pies I mentioned...

I did make a couple of the shrubs as "clump" .pies but I think Mysteryem's GFX are better to make them from than my .pies which look like this:

Plus I think the Cactus & Bristle Cone trees would be better to make "Clump" .pies from instead of the shrubs (maybe) and instead of the 4 per tile I did with the shrubs above... do 3 per "clump" with the trees. Just my 2 cents.

Mysteryem
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Mysteryem »

whippersnapper wrote:
Sweet... what timing. xD I compared our veg geometries... interesting - yours are more elegant than mine. In any case - well done Mysteryem !

@ Lav: I cheated and quickly placed these while running Mysteryem's new Feature Mod in Debug Mode.

What I mean by "cheating" is that we still have to modify-add to 32EW files so you can place these new features in the map-making phase however you have in mind. I'll look to that after work today. Unless someone else beats me to the punch - which is fine by me. :D
The PIEs where the shape is done by the texture use a texture page which is 4 times the original size, this makes the "filtering" (bluring) of the textures less noticable.

The editworld files are attached to #872{direct link}

And concerning clumped plants I'll see about it later. I have more testing to do.

Edit: You do realise that you can make features not snap to the grid in editworld? (use the 2D view to see which tiles will have the bounding boxes on them. I think I used this in 4c-urban chaos to combine a couple of features into one, it might've been a different map, but I'm not sure.
"...If pure awesomeness were bricks, this would be the Great Wall of China...
The glory of this has collapsed on its self so far, that even the neutrons have collapsed."
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

Mysteryem wrote:
The PIEs where the shape is done by the texture use a texture page which is 4 times the original size, this makes the "filtering" (bluring) of the textures less noticable.

The editworld files are attached to #872{direct link}

And concerning clumped plants I'll see about it later. I have more testing to do.

Edit: You do realise that you can make features not snap to the grid in editworld? (use the 2D view to see which tiles will have the bounding boxes on them. I think I used this in 4c-urban chaos to combine a couple of features into one, it might've been a different map, but I'm not sure.
Thanks for the filtering tip. :)

Yea.... the bounding spheres and not having to snap to grid in 32EW..

I have not had terribly satisfying results when doing this with the Rocky Mountain trees.... however... last year when I was working with some brand new Arizona Features - giant amorphous rock, cargo containers and 3D cliff feature models - I got some stunning results I was very happy with.... especially the CCs and the giant amorphous rock feature models (these I was able to "Deform" by close proximity for some really neat visual effects). I guess it depends on the individual objects themselves the effectiveness of the results - ergo you find out by experimenting, like you mentioned doing yourself. It would be nice to get some of the results I got with the giant amorphous boulders with veg feature models but I have yet to do it. Maybe a "jungle" or "swamp" type veg would be the answer there.... I dunno.