wip - forestfires -no trees yet...needs input.

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

wip - forestfires -no trees yet...needs input.

Post by lav_coyote25 »

so yeah... somebody said something about a map... well... here is my version. will put trees in later after some input as to how it plays. no input - no trees.
forestfires.zip
(30.55 KiB) Downloaded 432 times
xD
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Re: wip - forestfires -no trees yet...needs input.

Post by whippersnapper »

I like what you've done so far and am really curious what you have in mind with Trees, how you plan to use 'em. :) I myself have had little promise in using 'em effectively - maybe I can learn from your ideas. :D

Testing with my WS Mod which includes a modified Become Prey using XANAX's new Mech's among other goodies. With your interesting map it's like playing WZ brand new.

In any I case - as i continue play-testing I should have more useful feedback to offer. Depending on how you make use of trees, the map's game play could change quite a bit, I'm guessing, 'cause as you've hinted in your map title they are a destructible map feature...

Any hoot, here's a screen cap:
Attachments
WS Assets on Lav's New Map A.jpg
NEXUS
Trained
Trained

Post by NEXUS »

Very fun map, just finished playing a 2v2 match on this with BecomePrey AI, very fun indeed! ;)

Can't wait for the trees. xD
winsrp
Trained
Trained

Post by winsrp »

well i played it, and got my ass kicked, mainly cus it was 3 against me, and by the time i found out that there was a whole lot of oil in the middle they had lasers thrown at me, and i only had med cannons...

Any way, was a fun map, I'm still using old textures, so it still looks kinds of weird, but I'm getting used to that on your maps.

I would make the center thing have 4 entrances instead of 2. or make 2 towers, one more to the south and one more to the north, so you can have one on the left side of the river... as it is now, and one on the right side, and split the oil between the 2 of them, since i got out on the upper right corner, then it was really hard for me to even try to get that oil since the entrance was on the other side of what i could have blocked and you can imagine the amount of vehicles being thrown at me at the moment. Its a little uneven for the guys on the right side.

looking forward to some trees!!
winsrp
Trained
Trained

Post by winsrp »

played today a second time and i won this time.. jejeje.... so.... you either remove the top center oil wells or give each side something like it... for balance sake

as for the rest only the middle mountain thing then looks good... looking forward for some trees.
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

give me a pic showing what you mean about the center oil wells.... as for trees - still have a problem with them not showing the proper textures... not sure why this is but untill i get it fixed ... trees will be last on my list to place... :) and thanks for the feedback. xD
-Kosh-
Trained
Trained

Post by -Kosh- »

How long did it take you to make this map?
From what I have played so far, it seems pretty good, but the devs really need to fix it so units can not fire through cliffs. :rolleyes:
This is a waste of space. Something important should be here.
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

after finding the pic and converting it to a height map - less than a week to what you see there... some maps i have - its taken years to get to where they are now...
winsrp
Trained
Trained

Post by winsrp »

this is what i mean
mapfeedback.PNG
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

ok i see. now as to the reason behind the EXTRA 4 wells to the guy in the upper right hand corner - player 0 = human. i always give HIM more oil. when testing out maps i give myself a little extra oomph if you will... nothing that would really matter...just enuff to keep up with my building of defensive positions. (turtle i am till later in the game and then i am out and about wiping the map clean of all them nasty little AI sheets.... as i said this is a wip and not the finished prduct... perhaps i will add 4 to all or maybe not - depends on what feedback i get from others... :twisted: xD xD xD
winsrp
Trained
Trained

Post by winsrp »

well normally I play once on each side of the map, so i can get a clear perspective of how the gameplay is on each side.

And i play with some friends over Internet...

that little, what did you call it, oomph, well, does not helps for balance, and the hill looking 2 sides of the map, does not either.

Anyway... lets wait fore some more feedback.
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

At this stage the map is geared strictly to a campaign-like experience in Skirmish vs. just the A.I....with YOU playing position "0". It's NOT yet geared to MP gaming. Lav often makes maps like this - especially early on in their development and probably just assumed folks familiar with his body of work over the years are aware of all that. But there are always newbs floating in and so it bears repeating upfront on how to play these type maps.

I have stopped testing myself because once trees are placed game play could radically change especially vs. the skirmish a.i... At this point the PF is good throughout and the A.I.s are building formidable bases deploying a good mix of ground and air mixed arms combat groups.

BTW Lav - what trees are you working with ? Mysteryem's newly redone ones to replace stock ? Far as I know they only work using the Rocky Mountain tertile set. Or are using some other ones made for the Arizona tertile set ? I have some in one of my archives - made for Arizona... they are Saguaro Cactus and White Bristle Cone Pine... thinking of looking for em cause they fit the landscape well..

Regards, whip :ninja:
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

hmmm interesting thing you just said - about trees working with rockymountain set.... i wonder if that is why the damn things dont give the right textures... cause when i play all i get is some stupid things that resemble x's with some blue and some other things that i am certain belong to vehicles ( features set.) yes please send me the cactus and bristlepine and whatever else may be apporpriate... along with instructions on how to include em... unless of course you have them already in a foder or whatever and all i need do is place em where you say to ...( :3 within reason ok... :3 xD )

and thanks. xD
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

lav_coyote25 wrote:hmmm interesting thing you just said - about trees working with rockymountain set.... i wonder if that is why the damn things dont give the right textures... cause when i play all i get is some stupid things that resemble x's with some blue and some other things that i am certain belong to vehicles ( features set.) yes please send me the cactus and bristlepine and whatever else may be apporpriate... along with instructions on how to include em... unless of course you have them already in a foder or whatever and all i need do is place em where you say to ...( :3 within reason ok... :3 xD )

and thanks. xD
Yes those Rocky Mountain Trees will look like that if you use 'em with the Arizona Tertiles.

As for Arizona vegetation... Pumpkin made textures for them but never made .pies to use them.

If you wanna see the textures I used to make the Arizona vegetation .pie models (6 all together)....

Open base.wz and go to texture pages folder and open - scroll to page 6 Arizona Features and open the .png - look at the upper left hand side ... those are the Pumpkin textures I used to make the .pies they never made.

I'm just concerned the textures are not high-rez enough for my .pies to look good in the current game binary.

I will have to test first which means I have to put my .pcx .pies into 32EW so I can place on a map to compile a .wz with em. Then I have to make my .pies reference the .png texture page in current data set, make a mini-mod with changes to the stat features file and include my .pies so that I can then run the test map.wz in-game to see how they look. Last time I looked at them in-game was running in v.1.10 and they looked pretty good - but now.... I dunno till I do the foregoing to test in v.2.2.2

I'll get a chance over the weekend to check this all out.... then I'll post screens so you can see for yourself what you think. If you decide you want to go with em I'll then give you the 32EW files and Game binary mp.wz files with instructions...

The long and the short is that if you do go ahead your gonna have to distro your map with the mini mp.wz mod because though the textures exist in the current data set the .pies / modifed stat files do NOT... so whatever you place in 32EW won't show in-game without the mod.wz files running.

Hope that all makes sense.

Mysteryem
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Mysteryem »

whippersnapper wrote:Yes those Rocky Mountain Trees will look like that if you use 'em with the Arizona Tertiles.

As for Arizona vegetation... Pumpkin made textures for them but never made .pies to use them.

If you wanna see the textures I used to make the Arizona vegetation .pie models (6 all together)....

Open base.wz and go to texture pages folder and open - scroll to page 6 Arizona Features and open the .png - look at the upper left hand side ... those are the Pumpkin textures I used to make the .pies they never made.

I'm just concerned the textures are not high-rez enough for my .pies to look good in the current game binary.

I will have to test first which means I have to put my .pcx .pies into 32EW so I can place on a map to compile a .wz with em. Then I have to make my .pies reference the .png texture page in current data set, make a mini-mod with changes to the stat features file and include my .pies so that I can then run the test map.wz in-game to see how they look. Last time I looked at them in-game was running in v.1.10 and they looked pretty good - but now.... I dunno till I do the foregoing to test in v.2.2.2

I'll get a chance over the weekend to check this all out.... then I'll post screens so you can see for yourself what you think. If you decide you want to go with em I'll then give you the 32EW files and Game binary mp.wz files with instructions...

The long and the short is that if you do go ahead your gonna have to distro your map with the mini mp.wz mod because though the textures exist in the current data set the .pies / modifed stat files do NOT... so whatever you place in 32EW won't show in-game without the mod.wz files running.

Hope that all makes sense.

I've just put together a 2.2 mod for the universal and extra features, which includes the arizona trees and bushes. I'm uploading it here as I have run out of time and have to go now. Bye. By the way, it appears to crash in campaign so mp only!
Attachments
features.wz
mod_mp features.wz
(518.87 KiB) Downloaded 302 times
"...If pure awesomeness were bricks, this would be the Great Wall of China...
The glory of this has collapsed on its self so far, that even the neutrons have collapsed."