converting wdg to wz?

Get some help with creating maps or modding.
Need a map editor or other tools, look here!
aubergine
Professional
Professional

converting wdg to wz?

Post by aubergine »

I was writing up some mapping guides and came across the subject of converting .wdg maps to .wz maps then noticed that the conversion tool has been removed.

References:

* http://guide.wz2100.net/faq#installmap
* http://developer.wz2100.net/wiki/ConvertingOldMaps
* viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2706

Is there any background information on this? What are people with .wdg files supposed to do?
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Re: converting wdg to wz?

Post by Rman Virgil »

So much for my nappy. O_o

Vexed wrote the convertor years ago. He wants to limit its distro. Ask him about it.

Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Post by Goth Zagog-Thou »

Manually converting .wdg files to working .wz mods is a little tricky. Aside from that there are some little changes (mainly in stat files formatting) to be aware of.

Using WDGExplorer, decompile the .wdg into its' folders. WDGExplorer may be hard to find, as Lav_Coyote's Documents site is down. I have pretty much everything old-Warzone related, though. If needed, I'll gladly upload any and all of the old tools I have to my Dropbox.

I have a personal vested interest in this, as I'd like to be able to use Warzone Customizer Kit again for modding and to be able to get those mods working. I'm toying with the idea of building a new database for WZCK that would at least make it compatible with modern versions of Warzone. I'd sure love to get in touch with Stratadrake and see i he has the WZCK sources laying around. IF it's in Visual Basic, I think there's a good chance that if he makes that source available, we would see a fresh update to WZCK making it totally compatible with the current Warzone.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Goth Zagog-Thou wrote:Manually converting .wdg files to working .wz mods is a little tricky. Aside from that there are some little changes (mainly in stat files formatting) to be aware of.

Using WDGExplorer, decompile the .wdg into its' folders. WDGExplorer may be hard to find, as Lav_Coyote's Documents site is down. I have pretty much everything old-Warzone related, though. If needed, I'll gladly upload any and all of the old tools I have to my Dropbox.

I have a personal vested interest in this, as I'd like to be able to use Warzone Customizer Kit again for modding and to be able to get those mods working. I'm toying with the idea of building a new database for WZCK that would at least make it compatible with modern versions of Warzone. I'd sure love to get in touch with Stratadrake and see i he has the WZCK sources laying around. IF it's in Visual Basic, I think there's a good chance that if he makes that source available, we would see a fresh update to WZCK making it totally compatible with the current Warzone.
Visual Basic is correct. Try reaching Strata through the art site he mods as Draconus... he may likely still have the source and I'm sure would pass it on. He's also registered in these bbs as Stratadrake so you could try PMing him.

I'm still trying to touch base with Coyote about putting up his many gigs of WZ stuff on Aubergine's site.
Last edited by Rman Virgil on 04 Jun 2012, 21:40, edited 1 time in total.
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Rman, as always you sacrifice (in this case, sleep) for the greater good. :D If I were in charge of my own country I'd pin medals to ya.

Would love to have Draconus join the discussion or stop in to say hi. His stories were great, and his software was even better.
crass
Trained
Trained

Post by crass »

if you e-mail and ask he will tell you he will convert maps that you made and he cross checks it with some kind of list so you can't cheat :lol2:
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

What the ... ? O_o Seriously?

Honestly, if you don't have anything nice to say, refrain.

And you will discover that the hammers fall particularly hard around here.
crass
Trained
Trained

Post by crass »

what was wrong with that? you want me to show you the e-mail for proof?
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Goth Zagog-Thou wrote:Rman, as always you sacrifice (in this case, sleep) for the greater good. :D If I were in charge of my own country I'd pin medals to ya.

Would love to have Draconus join the discussion or stop in to say hi. His stories were great, and his software was even better.
Strata is focused on writeing fantasy novels and doing graphic art these days.

Here are his web pages which you can reach him through:

http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/stratadrake

http://stratadrake.deviantart.com/

NOW.... a looong sleep... finally. ;)

Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Awesome, just sent him a note on DeviantArt. Thanks a ton, Rman. Enjoy the well-deserved sleep!