Warzone 2100: Contingency (Beta now released)

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Re: Warzone 2100: Contingency (Beta now released)

Post by Goth Zagog-Thou »

Is there a graphical representation of Contingency's research tree? I'm having some real trouble getting things enabled.

For example, we start off M11's research like we would in a CAMP_CLEAN base. Enable the 5 or 6 things that rules.js says it enables, plus the Cyborg stuff (to get THEM working). It peters out without following the research threads that it *should* follow, leaving us with pretty much nothing. I've tried a couple of different permeations, up to and including enabling each weapon and their upgrades, along with the defense constructions (tower, pit, etc) and it's a MESS when I do that .. but it still peters out without much to show for it.

So yeah, I need a graphical representation of Contingency's tree to find out what I need to enable ... and this includes whether I need to create routines in my own rules.js to monitor what is researched and enable the appropriate things as needed.

Is one available somewhere? Wikizone 2100 is a bit helpful but incomplete, sadly.
AlphaThor01
Trained
Trained

Post by AlphaThor01 »

I have not seen one yet, but if there is one made, it is going to be HUGE.
"Hastalabesta, baby. You're terminated."-Arnold Schwarzenegger/Terminator
Shadow Wolf TJC
Regular
Regular

Post by Shadow Wolf TJC »

@Goth: Sorry that I haven't yet gotten around to creating a graphical representation of Contingency's tech tree, but AlphaThor01 is right. The size of research.txt is about thrice the size of vanilla Warzone 2100's research.txt. Given how I'm currently busy, both with new releases of Contingency (especially when it comes to porting it over to master builds; creating the weapons.ini file is going to be a pain) and in developing a new version of NullBot for Contingency, I've just been too busy to even consider undertaking such a task.

I appreciate your work in creating a FlaME dataset containing Campaign 4, Contingency, and Ultimate Scavenger Mod content, and at this point in the mod's development, I'd likewise appreciate any help in creating a detailed representation of Contingency's research tree, as well as porting it over to master versions of Warzone 2100.

If anyone's interested in creating such a research tree, then here's what I'd personally do:
- Open up and have a look at prresearch.txt. It should contain a list of research items, as well as each of their individual prerequisites. (If need be, open names.txt to find out what each of the research items' names are in-game, as the objects listed in research.txt, as well as in other files, are unique internal names that the game uses to identify what each of them are, regardless of which language version of Warzone 2100 you're playing.) For example, we can see that Mini-Rocket Pods (R-Wpn-Rocket05-MiniPod) require both HE Cannon Shells (R-Wpn-Cannon-Damage01) and Fuel Injection Engine (R-Vehicle-Engine01) as prerequisites. I've already sorted the list roughly by name and research type (weapons, systems, structures, vehicles, etc.) to make it easier to navigate.
- Listing every individual defense's research prerequisites shouldn't be necessary, as they generally require researching the defense's turret and body as prerequisites. (For example, a Heavy Machinegun Hardpoint would require researching the Heavy Machinegun as well as Hardcrete Hardpoint Construction.) While this should cut the amount of items to list down by at least 20%, you may want to still list individual fortresses' and firebases' research prerequisites, as well as (Gauss) Sniper Bunkers, since they contain turrets that aren't available for vehicles to mount.
- If you'd like, you could list by how much researching upgrades improve weapon damage, rof, and accuracy; vehicle armor and engine power; power, factory, research, repair, and construction rates; etc. See researchfunctions.txt for a list of upgrades that are unlocked through research, and functions.txt for a list of what each of those researchable upgrades actually do.
Creator of Warzone 2100: Contingency!
Founder of Wikizone 2100: http://wikizone2100.wikia.com/wiki/Wikizone_2100
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

I'd be happy to help you out in any capacity needed. I figure it's the least I can do for using Contingency / USM for Cam 4. :)

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction concerning the difficulties with research. You guys are def. the experts with the research stuff.

I need to update the version of Contingency that Cam 4 is using to the current one.
AlphaThor01
Trained
Trained

Post by AlphaThor01 »

Good luck with the programming & updating, Shadow. Really appreciate the work you have done for the Warzone 2100 players! BTW: When is the next version coming out? I'm not trying to rush you here, but I would like to know when you plan to release the next version/generation (no pun intended if there was some).
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

So after spending most of the day running different permutations of research (and enabling/disabling things), here's what I've come down to:

- Research paths (like you would find in MP games) are NOT automatically pursued to the end in Campaign mode. At least not directly. What happens is the technologies are unlocked and it goes for a bit (according to preresearch.txt and result_xxx.txt) and then stop. I can see why the Pumpkins did it this way, but it really messes with my plans.

It's not a showstopper but I will need to be creative with how tech is unlocked. And with all the technology in Contingency, I'm gonna have to pick and choose which tech is actually going to be used. It's fine for control purposes, but no so much when what one was looking for was the full-on automation (like in MP games).

That's fine -- it'll give me a chance to break out a new feature that I've been itching to find a use for. ;)
AlphaThor01
Trained
Trained

Post by AlphaThor01 »

Hey, I ran into some trouble. The campaign is crashing on me. It was saying that the program failed to parse wrf/piestats.wrf with this mod [resLoad:130].
Shadow Wolf TJC
Regular
Regular

Sorry, but the mod currently only works for multiplayer. Unfortunately, I won't be fixing that issue anytime soon, since it would require modifying singleplayer stuff, which I currently have no experience with. Besides, I'd rather work on getting Contingency version 1.0 finished (which would require for me to finish working out the multiplayer balance, finish the .pie models, and finish porting it to 3.2) before I can even consider starting work on a new singleplayer experience.

In the meantime, you may wish to check out Goth Zagog-Thou's Campaign 4 mod, which will supposedly use Contingency material.
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

It already does. :D

Release 17 will be out shortly. Lots of little fixes and additions. Along with that will be the 0.3 FlaME dataset which uses Contingency, USM, SMM and new goodies from Berg.
Shadow Wolf TJC
Regular
Regular

Well, it's about time I release another version of Contingency, in this case, version 0.7.6. While I'm still working on porting it over to version 3.2 of Warzone 2100, I've also been working on fine-tuning NullBotSW (which "might" be replacing NullBot 2.0 when it's finished), as well as working on a few new .pie models for the various Cyborgs, and for ultra-heavy VTOLs:
Some new models for the MRA, Rocket Assault Array, and Seraph Super Cyborgs.
Some new models for the MRA, Rocket Assault Array, and Seraph Super Cyborgs.
Some NEXUS-controlled Sunburst and Cherub Cyborgs take aim at a few ultra-heavy VTOLs. Notice the new .pie model for the VTOLs' propulsion system?
Some NEXUS-controlled Sunburst and Cherub Cyborgs take aim at a few ultra-heavy VTOLs. Notice the new .pie model for the VTOLs' propulsion system?
As far as gameplay changes go, power generation from Wind Turbines now scales based on power settings.

Sorry if you're waiting for a version 0.8 to come out, but I'm personally waiting until something major happens to the mod to warrant such a label, such as:
- if the mod is fully ported to 3.2
- if the Birds of Prey and Swords lines of bodies get new .pie models
- if a new gameplay mechanic is introduced
- if the gameplay balance goes through a major change
AlphaThor01
Trained
Trained

Post by AlphaThor01 »

Rejoice!
themac
Trained
Trained

Post by themac »

I really love the Contingency mod, especially the new sound effects! =D
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Especially looking forward to taking a close look at your new borgs. :) A compelling beast, this mod. :3

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
AlphaThor01
Trained
Trained

Post by AlphaThor01 »

I second both of those motions!
mobius1qwe
Greenhorn

Post by mobius1qwe »

The Nullbot&Co. ~Turtle~ has a major bug on it.
The Turtle is the only AI that doesn't creates new trucks, if it loses the starting ones, it never build new ones or engineering cyborgs.