WZ pauses every 5 seconds for a second

Do you need help? Ask here!

Bug reporting belongs here: http://developer.wz2100.net/newticket
themac
Trained
Trained

WZ pauses every 5 seconds for a second

Post by themac »

On some maps WZ pauses every 5 seconds for 1 second. That means everything stops for a moment. The animation, the timer, the fps counter, everything. A second later everything goes on as normal, but five seconds later the same strange pause happens. I don´t know how to make a bug report for such a strange "bug". O.o
Berg
Regular
Regular

Re: WZ pauses every 5 seconds for a second

Post by Berg »

Is this in skirmish, multi player or campaign.
What version of warzone are your playing.
Note if it is 3.1# and multi player it maybe the net connection keeping all players in sync.
themac
Trained
Trained

Post by themac »

This is in a skirmish match vs the AI. Maybe I can make a screen recording of that issue. I use the 3.1 beta 10 on MacOS (latest version). I now see that it pauses twice: a short pause of 1/2 second, and shortly after that a second pause of 1 second, then it works on as normal for will say 5 seconds and then the same issue again. The CPU usage is at 10 %, not worth to worry about.
Last edited by themac on 29 May 2012, 00:17, edited 1 time in total.
Giani
Regular
Regular

Post by Giani »

Probably it is your computer that is slow.
My maps: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9501
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

themac wrote:he 3.1 beta 10 on MacOS
I cant help with mac issues as I have no clue how them puters work...
Whats a MacOS?? <--- joke
themac
Trained
Trained

Post by themac »

The CPU usage is very low. At 10 %. Not worth to worry about. RAM may also be no issue. 16 GB inside. Hmm, maybe WZ is saving a log file every five seconds and then the game stops while saving?
Last edited by themac on 31 May 2012, 12:42, edited 2 times in total.
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

That looks suspiciously like swapping out memory... :hmm:
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

Post by Lord Apocalypse »

Ok so lets try a new approach. Full specs for your system. What AIs were you fighting against? Total number of players? What graphics settings are you using? Are you using a mod, if so which mod? Do you have the latest video and sound drivers?

In my last skirmish game I played I had 8 player map with 6 nullbots and one semperfi using the art mod. It caused my game to sputter a bit but never any actual stalls like in your video. Does Mac OSX have any performance tools you can leave running to see how much ram is being consumed or if the cpu spikes anywhere?
themac
Trained
Trained

Post by themac »

The total number of players was six. I was playing in team with a nullbot AI. I am using nullbot 1.29. Have to test the new 1.30 also.

A test told me that the problem is the same even if I set all graphics settings to the lowest values possible. switching vsync on and off did not solve the problem. When vsync is off, I get always more than 60 fps, up to 200 (windowed mode, 1600 x 900). The pauses happen even if fps are high.

I was not using any mods.

The latest video and sound drivers by Apple are in use.

I was playing other big maps with a lot of units and players (up to 10) too but never got problems like this. This issue happens the first time, seen on the map "GateKeepers3x".

The memory usage is about 200 MB, the CPU usage is about 10 %. It can handle up to eight threads, but most of them do nothing. It looks like if the active threads do an easy job.

Tnx for your help friends. :-)
Last edited by themac on 03 Aug 2013, 23:40, edited 3 times in total.
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

When I get a chance I will load that map and see if I get the same issue. That is not an addon map correct? Hardware specs look fine..

Does the terrain still use gateways?
themac
Trained
Trained

Post by themac »

I am not sure what an "addon map" is. I don´t know if the terrain uses gateways. I see that there is a LOT of scavanger activity on this map, but even if I had killed a decent amount of them the issue has not been solved.
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

The gateway question for more for developers. I do not know if the current terrain engine still uses the old gateway system for splitting maps or not.

As for addon maps. That would be any map not included with the warzone installer. Such as those found in the maps section of the forums.
themac
Trained
Trained

Post by themac »

Ah, yes, that was one of the maps that was not included.
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

Does this only happen on maps that you added or both added maps and maps that come with the game?

Or perhaps on only maps by the same map maker??
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

NullBot may be the reason, especially in crowded environments (most of its routines are linear of the number of objects on the field), but i haven't yet heard it to make that much impact. In fact, it can provide that sort of impact (some routine is called every 5 seconds, and no routine can be stretched across different game frames, so every such call results in a pause, while the rest of the game runs well, so the average CPU usage doesn't rise too high). Please try Nexus on the same map. Please try the same map without scavengers. Most curiously, please try to figure out if it's really exactly 5 seconds, or exactly 7 seconds, or something like that (see the game timer, not your clock).