Where is the code for the sensor turret's functions?

For code related discussions and questions
Arreon
Trained
Trained

Where is the code for the sensor turret's functions?

Post by Arreon »

I'd very much like to know, and I'm sure others are would be as well. I'm currently using the master builds right now, but I want to keep a vanilla version of Warzone as well. The only major issue with that is that the master builds have a much better sensor targeting system. Instead of all artillery focusing on one target, the sensor paints *every* unit in its FOV. Then the artillery itself calculates how many missiles it takes to kill the units and buildings and tries to conserve ammo as well. If it's just a lone wheeled truck, it will only take one or two Archangel missiles to blow it up, so only one or two will be fired at the truck. If there's a Hover next to it, the other artillery will fire conservatively at the Hover.

There's also another reason why I want to see the code for the sensor; I want to point out a couple of flaws that can be dangerous to players, or heavily exploited. For example, if someone sends a hover towards my base, like a Flamer, the artillery uses Target Prediction to try and blow the hover up. There's a problem. If the hover comes too close to the base, the artillery will most likely hit the base instead of the hover, especially if the hover changes direction.

The direct weapons do the same thing; they fire conservatively and fire at any and all enemies within range. This wouldn't be so much of a problem if it weren't for the fact that when you mix some artillery in with the defenses, since both the direct and indirect weapons fire conservatively, the sensor will see the hover first and launch a Howitzer shell at it. Now the hover has a few extra seconds to approach the base, unopposed until the Howitzer actually hits. The direct weapons do literally nothing as that lone Howitzer shell flies through the air. Not only is it dangerous because the hover could land a few free hits in, but also, due to the Target Prediction, the Howitzer shell can actually blow up the player's own defenses.

I want to see the code so I can at least attempt to get it to work in 2.3.8, maybe even solve a couple of problems in the meantime, like that annoying direct-indirect fire bug. If untreated, some players could start to use a very annoying Bunker Buster + Hover exploit.
Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1045T (6 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Re: Where is the code for the sensor turret's functions?

Post by Per »

First, please keep try talk about one thing at a time, ok?

The supposed weakness of the targeting system sounds to me like just idle theorising. Have anyone actually exploited this in any meaningful way? If so, please post a youtube video of it, or something. Even howitzer projectiles are very fast.