Coding Feedback

For code related discussions and questions
Commander_Alt_F4
Greenhorn

Coding Feedback

Post by Commander_Alt_F4 »

Hello Everyone

I decided to create this thread because of one reason... i was seeing the codebut i dont know where to start so i decided to give a feedback about the code: :)

Comments:
the code is pretty well commented, and i dont think i need to give comments about it :3

Code:

the name of the functions are self explanatory on goodpoint on that, however, mixing c with c++, then mix with qt c++ is sort of mixing salt, sugar and pepper together on food :stare: , i would like to see it modified slowly and calmly, that way we could go longer

Organization:

ill be direct and honest.................................it sucks :annoyed: , heck its like you throw organiztion out of the window :hmm:

i mean, this is the first time i see an cpp file with more than 4000 lines O_o (display3d.cpp), and not only that, if you change anything with it even a line, the entire file will be compiled, wasting time.

i would like it to be organized in foldes
for example

:lecture: folder "AI" where there lies the AI player scripts and code
:lecture: folder "ui" where lies the 2D part of the game which is basically the ui
:lecture: folder "scene" where lies the 3D part of the game which is of course the game scene (terrain, etc)
:lecture: folder "math3d" where lies the 3D math for the scene (raycasting, cameras, etc)
:lecture: folder "main" where lies the initial actions of the program
:lecture: folder "gui" where lies the code that initializes the GUI, it may be the QGLWidget code or what it is
:lecture: folder "structures" where lies the code of the buildings and stuff
:lecture: folder "units" where lies the code of the units
:lecture: folder "scripts" where lies other kind of scripts
:lecture: and finally the folder "etc" where lies the less important part of the game coding (version,etc)

because the way it is now it just scares me away, well i dont even know where is the part that renders the scene, im sorry, im better off making my own projects that i do on my free time than trying to understand the entire code :?

my two cents :wink:
Commander_Alt_F4
Greenhorn

Re: Coding Feedback

mmm...rly? sure but i didnt even know how to program 4 years ago

now that i got great knowledge by making small number of big programs and numerous small programs and im even making great progress at university, of course i had learn the coding standard and stuff...

but heck saying "pick something and fix it" im not a slave or anything youre just making people just give up to help the community, who wants to help someone so immature?
Commander_Alt_F4
Greenhorn

(nevermind the post i was refering to has been deleted making this look like a double post)
Last edited by Commander_Alt_F4 on 26 Jun 2011, 00:19, edited 1 time in total.
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

hurr
Also known as Subsentient.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

Erm, sorry, should have locked the topic while I handled some ... things...

Anyway, let's start fresh. :)

We all know things need to be done.
We just don't have enough people doing things.
Hence the suggestion of if you want something done, to try to do it yourself, it usually is much faster than getting other people to do what you want/need.
and it ends here.
Commander_Alt_F4
Greenhorn

Buginator wrote:Erm, sorry, should have locked the topic while I handled some ... things...

Hence the suggestion of if you want something done, to try to do it yourself, it usually is much faster than getting other people to do what you want/need.
ok but could you at least tell me what are the files that are part of ui or AI player? that hould help me
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

Commander_Alt_F4 wrote:
Buginator wrote:Erm, sorry, should have locked the topic while I handled some ... things...

ok but could you at least tell me what are the files that are part of ui or AI player? that hould help me
Which UI, widgets are in lib/widgets.
The frontend ? That is spread in many files (in src/).
The in-game GUI ? That is also spread around, like hci.cpp and others.
There is no one file for the UI.

In case you didn't know, *we* didn't design this, we got it this way.
and it ends here.
Commander_Alt_F4
Greenhorn

ok no problem, im getting it done somehow, the comments are surprisingly well explained

Edit: looks like just putting the files in each directory and then modifying the includes isnt enough, i will need to m y the configuration files and the makefile that i dont have enough knowledge :hmm:

and knowing about the code-bombs there are, its hard to modify the content, yeah the best bet is to create a new engine, but theres not enough manpower to do it