Low-graphics mode?

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
Endy
Greenhorn

Low-graphics mode?

Post by Endy »

Hey all,
I am currently running a 32MB Radeon Mobility 7500 on my laptop - my OpenGL support is good, since my drivers are up to date. But while the game does run on my hardware, I think it's more than a little unreasonable for a free game to demand a "64 MB graphics card with good OpenGL support (make sure you have the newest drivers installed)". Mind you, it doesn't cut playability to have a 32, but I think it would be nice if the things which are not displayed (i.e. some of the graphic menu icons) could be converted in such a way as to allow a "low-graphics" mode, for those of us running on hardware that is not the newest thing to come down the pike.
Christheturtle
Trained
Trained

Re: Low-graphics mode?

Post by Christheturtle »

I remember this matter being discussed earlier today on the IRC channels, I think a couple of people brought it up that they couldn't load the game properly on their not-so-low spec computers. I can't remember the outcome, but I think they're looking into what makes it unable to run. Something about cursor movement or something? *Shrugs*

We'll await further input.
Crymson
Trained
Trained

Post by Crymson »

Endy wrote:Hey all,
I am currently running a 32MB Radeon Mobility 7500 on my laptop - my OpenGL support is good, since my drivers are up to date. But while the game does run on my hardware, I think it's more than a little unreasonable for a free game to demand a "64 MB graphics card with good OpenGL support (make sure you have the newest drivers installed)". Mind you, it doesn't cut playability to have a 32, but I think it would be nice if the things which are not displayed (i.e. some of the graphic menu icons) could be converted in such a way as to allow a "low-graphics" mode, for those of us running on hardware that is not the newest thing to come down the pike.
Is it not also unreasonable for a user to complain about a free game being updated? :roll:
If you don't like it, then use the original game, which is also free, and I just happen to notice it on http://guide.wz2100.net/files/1.10/ but it has a crack? WTF is up with that? O_o
BlueMaxima
Trained
Trained

Post by BlueMaxima »

Crymson wrote:
Is it not also unreasonable for a user to complain about a free game being updated? :roll:
If you don't like it, then use the original game, which is also free, and I just happen to notice it on http://guide.wz2100.net/files/1.10/ but it has a crack? WTF is up with that? O_o
Unless you want to edit 1.10s source to remove the need for a crack, be my guest.
Bring back...ducks!
KenAlcock
Trained
Trained

Post by KenAlcock »

Christheturtle wrote:I remember this matter being discussed earlier today on the IRC channels, I think a couple of people brought it up that they couldn't load the game properly on their not-so-low spec computers. I can't remember the outcome, but I think they're looking into what makes it unable to run. Something about cursor movement or something? *Shrugs*

We'll await further input.
Yes! Cursor Movement! I've been plagued by v2.3 (and v2.3 RC1 before it) lagging badly and it always happens when I seem to be moving my mouse. I just started to notice that the mouse movement might be the trigger recently. Of course, the way I play WZ I am always moving the mouse. I did file ticket #1841 on the lag issue. It is worse on some maps than others, even happening reliably in skirmish games on some maps. It also is more likely to happen, the more people participate in a MP game that I am hosting.

I play on Windows Vista and I have a fairly stout PC and graphics card. (Overall Windows gaming experience number is 5.3), but I still get the lags. And when it happens The Warzone2100.exe process eats up CPU, which climbs to 50% utilization (the most one process can consume on a dual-core CPU).
My game handle is Cosmic Raven or Cosmic Raven 68
Zi-Chan
Trained
Trained

Post by Zi-Chan »

You say the Game runs at you, but i list it anyway.
There are several Ways to increase the frame rate, i got Low-End-Hardware myself (128mb but onBoard). All can be done in the Preferences inside the Game.
1. Disable the software cursor - use the ones of your operating system in the game.
2. Reduce the Texture Size to 64 - you can try 32 too, but then the Game looks like simple Lego Pricks. (greatly helps)
3. Run the Game in Fullscreen Mode.
4. Disable shadows (greatly helps)

I would not call this a Complaint but a Suggestion. A "Software"-like Mode, i mean a "Low-Graphics Mode", which would change everything i mentioned, would be desireable. But as always: Making Suggestions is easy ... :hmm:

I would suggest an option to configure how many audio channels are used. I noticed, that the more sounds at the same time are being played the more my game laggs.

For some reason i lagg more with the 2.3.0 and the more units are on screen the more unplayable it gets - the 2.2.4 just runs ... okay. :|
:ninja:
DRAAK
Trained
Trained

Post by DRAAK »

Zi-Chan wrote: I would suggest an option to configure how many audio channels are used. I noticed, that the more sounds at the same time are being played the more my game laggs.
sounds, by the way, you can disable. Just add "--nosound" key
example: "warzone2100.exe --nosound"