URGENT Modding Questions!

Get some help with creating maps or modding.
Need a map editor or other tools, look here!
Vecmoroc
Trained
Trained

URGENT Modding Questions!

Post by Vecmoroc »

First of all, I was just wondering how I could edit the text files (body.txt, weapons.txt, etc.) that is discussed in the "Txt Editing" part under Mods in Under Development. I'm searched everywhere, but can't find either these files or the base.wz, mp.wz etc. Is this just because I'm just not looking properly, or can you not do this type of editing on a Mac OS X? It doesn't specifically list instructions for Mac, but I wasn't sure whether it could still work.

Also, I'm not sure whether this is exactly a mod question, but is it possible to increase the maximum number of buildings/units allowed in a game? For example, in one of my games, I've built so many Plasmite Flamer Bunkers that it won't allow me to construct anymore lol. I know there's limits on how many of certain structures you can have, but I was curious as to whether this could be altered to a higher number or to have the limits removed altogether.

If someone could get back to me as soon as you can, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Last edited by Vecmoroc on 09 May 2010, 21:30, edited 1 time in total.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Re: Modding Questions

Post by Buginator »

Vecmoroc wrote:First of all, I was just wondering how I could edit the text files (body.txt, weapons.txt, etc.) that is discussed in the "Txt Editing" part under Mods in Under Development. I'm searched everywhere, but can't find either these files or the base.wz, mp.wz etc. Is this just because I'm just not looking properly, or can you not do this type of editing on a Mac OS X? It doesn't specifically list instructions for Mac, but I wasn't sure whether it could still work.
They are regular txt file in csv format.
As to where they are on the mac, they should be in the .dmg, however, it seems voodoo is involved there, and I will let someone with a mac respond to that.
Also, I'm not sure whether this is exactly a mod question, but is it possible to increase the maximum number of buildings/units allowed in a game? For example, in one of my games, I've built so many Plasmite Flamer Bunkers that it won't allow me to construct anymore lol. I know there's limits on how many of certain structures you can have, but I was curious as to whether this could be altered to a higher number or to have the limits removed altogether.

If someone could get back to me as soon as you can, I'd greatly appreciate it.
You can't change limits externally, you need to edit the source code.
and it ends here.
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

kk to find them on mac look "inside" the warzone application.

1. hold down ctrl and click on warzone
2. select "view package contents"
3. dbl click contents -> resources -> data -> stats
4. voila!!

-regards macuser
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
Vecmoroc
Trained
Trained

Post by Vecmoroc »

Well, I did figure out how to access the text files, thank to mac. However, I know one thing is that, even though I've put 1 in the "designable" category for some of the different bodies, they still don't show up in the design screen, something I was wondering about. The cyborg and cyborg transport parts work. . .which definitely looks weird in game, but the other bodies were the ones I was hoping to be able to use. Perhaps you could tell me what the problem is?
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

"Designable" means "shows up in design screen when enabled".

You still have to enable the body by either using the "give all" cheat, a script function, or adding it to a research item's resultcomponent.
Vecmoroc
Trained
Trained

Post by Vecmoroc »

Ah, I hadn't done that, thanks.

However, another question I have is, I have figured out how to make it so that a body can have 3 turrets, but it seems that it only can allow multiple of attack turrets, and not sensor turrets. Is there a way to change this, or have I simply not done it right?
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Vecmoroc wrote:However, another question I have is, I have figured out how to make it so that a body can have 3 turrets, but it seems that it only can allow multiple of attack turrets, and not sensor turrets. Is there a way to change this, or have I simply not done it right?
Nope. Multiturret only applies to attack turrets, sorry. We'd have to rewrite LOTS of code to give the ability to have several different turret types on one unit.
Vecmoroc
Trained
Trained

Post by Vecmoroc »

Another question I had was, is it possible to make additional research/structures/bodies etc. without messing up the game? And if so, it is possible, whether through templates or whatever, to ensure that the AI builds/researches these things? In regards to creating new things, I tried to do it a little bit, and that didn't go so well, so that's partly why I'm asking lol

Also, I'm not sure how to include different things in research, as you mentioned earlier, perhaps you could explain to me how do do that?
Vecmoroc
Trained
Trained

Post by Vecmoroc »

Was anyone going to respond to my other questions?
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Erm, what do you mean by "without messing the game up"?

Just edit the corresponding text files.
Vecmoroc
Trained
Trained

Post by Vecmoroc »

Zarel wrote:Erm, what do you mean by "without messing the game up"?

Just edit the corresponding text files.
Well, for example, I noticed that the 'superbody' part didn't show any propulsion to it, so I tried adding lines in the bodypropulsionimd.text file to attempt to make it have the same propulsion appearance as the regular dragon body, but then whenever I tried to load a game, it crashed (until I took out those lines, anyways). Being as I am not a modder, I don't know whether there's a specific way to add the files so that they don't cause crashes.

Also, at least in regards to research, I don't know whether just would need to edit the research.txt only, or several of the research files. Basically, except for a few of the entries, I'm completely lost on how to edit these files correctly.

P.S.
I don't suppose there's a version of flaTE that works on mac? I could only find a windows version, but if there were a flaTE for mac, I'm sure it would help me out a lot lol
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

You can add new things, but you must be careful with the structure of the files, as they are very rigid (a blank line could cause a crash, for instance). I'll PM you a useful how-to that Mysteryem wrote for me some time ago, it was definetely what made me achieve a working mod (where I've added a new multi-turret body and a new weapon with research entries, custom models and textures - as well as a test propulsion for the body and sounds for the weapon, of course - this last part with the help of Rman Virgil. I'm a windows user so I've used flaTE, which made it a hundred times easier. Regarding adding all-new stuff, I reccomend that you talk to either Delphinio or Black Project, if they are available to explain what you need to know that isn't contained in the guide I'm going to send you.

And by modding the AI files, you can make it so that the AI will research those new things and produce units (via templates) using those things. They make base structures around their starting positions and defensive structures around oil resources and on gateways, I don't know exactly how they decide which building to usem and how many. Regarding to AI changes, you should ask someone who's making AI changes. DylanDog seems to know a lot about editing those AI files, he should know what you need to do (I don't know, however, how receptive he might be to questions - probably he'll be willing to help you, he is a good person AFAIK 8) )

It's essential that you keep the original files clean or at least have a backup of them in case that you can't find what you did wrong (you'll most probably do something wrong in your early attempts to mod which will cause the game to crash, that's almost for sure - it's a learning experience all the way around, no fuss about it), and always compare the files you've edited with the original ones. This way you can have an idea of what you're expected to write to tell the game to do what you want it to do. And, as I said, a misplaced comma or a blank line can cause crashes, so it's really important that you mantain the correct structure :hmm:

I'm sorry if you already knew that or it won't help you, but I really hope that it is useful :P

~Olrox
Vecmoroc
Trained
Trained

Post by Vecmoroc »

Well, I wasn't trying to add any new models or such, since I don't think I'm anywhere near that good yet lol. What I was trying to do there was merely copying the lines for the dragon body, and then altering the name to superbody, and since it's already listed in the body.txt, I thought that would work, though as I said, it crashed the game when I tried.

Another thing, in terms of the research, the main thing I want to figure out is to, if possible, be able to add something like one of the 'superweapons' to be researchable. I know I can get them with the cheat "give all", but being as that then replaces many of the other advanced weapons with low-grade ones, I wanted to be able to get just the superweapons, and I figure that adding it as a component to some research item would work best, but I don't know how to do that correctly. If there were some easier method, I'd be fine with that, but research is the best idea I have.
Vecmoroc
Trained
Trained

Post by Vecmoroc »

I don't know how realistic this is, but perhaps it's possible to just extend how many weapons can be displayed when in the design screen? For the bodies, I noticed that, even when given everything possible with the "give all" cheat, that you could browse through everything, so I was curious as to whether this same thing could be applied to the turrets without too much difficulty? At least then I wouldn't need to worry about figuring out the research stuff lol.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

Olrox wrote:I'll PM you a useful how-to that Mysteryem wrote for me some time ago...
Why not throw it up on the wiki, so everyone can benefit from this?
and it ends here.