Models by Jorzi (AR)

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Re: Models by Jorzi (AR)

Post by Jorzi »

Made a steel tower today, 72 triangles :)
Note that majority of the concrete base will be below the ground.
Attachments
steeltower1.jpg
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Another update: Cathuria has generously lent his hellstorm model to the art revoulution project (I think you all recognize it :) ). I'm planning to make a lowpoly and use it for baking. I might have to simplify it in some places, though, depending on how well it translates into lowpoly. Since it is such a complex model, I think I'll aim for 150 triangles instead of 100 like for most turrets...
Attachments
hellstorm1.jpg
ImageImage
CyclonatorZ
Trained
Trained

Post by CyclonatorZ »

Been looking foward to doing a comparison ever since I started following Art Revolution, and now that the first patch in ages has been released, behold!

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/bk504/Co ... arison.png

So, if anyone wasn't completely convinced of the awesomeness of this project, this should do the job. Though I've played on the old version for years, I'm honestly shocked at how much brighter and more colorful the new graphics are (not that I'm complaining though). Also, taking this snapshot made me realize something: in order to be more consistent with the old version, the new Bunker Buster model should be mirrored!

Also, great job as usual, Jorzi. I could barely even tell at first that the "x" struts were just flat decals. :wink:
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

nice comparison. now I see that textures need more work - too contrast, too saturated. I think a good result will be something between these 2 screenshots. we should exclude blackness of some parts on textures, also as whiteness.

Jorzi, I know you see these mistakes. we have normal maps, ao and engine shadows + too dark textures give us pure black color what is very bad and we have specular maps which give us shines but on pure white parts of texture it will be unnoticeable what is bad too.
Also, the unnatural look of teamcolor doesn't satisfy me. I think there(in the shader formula) should be parameter to control the saturation amount.
You know, the all in our works have to be awesome but nothing else. :wink: (or at least good for our taste XD )
Last edited by MaNGusT on 13 Jun 2011, 04:39, edited 1 time in total.
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

Oh wow oh wow oh wow!!!!!!!!! I come back and find so much progress on AR and YES NORMAL MAPS!!!!! thank you!
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Post by Goth Zagog-Thou »

I humbly submit any and all of my models from my misadventures thread for use in this endeavor. CC-0, so use them, hack 'em, chop 'em up. Make them work, Jorzi and MaNGusT. You have permission to take liberties as well. :D
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

MaNGusT wrote:nice comparison. now I see that textures need more work - too contrast, too saturated. I think a good result will be something between these 2 screenshots. we should exclude blackness of some parts on textures, also as whiteness.

Jorzi, I know you see these mistakes. we have normal maps, ao and engine shadows + too dark textures give us pure black color what is very bad and we have specular maps which give us shines but on pure white parts of texture it will be unnoticeable what is bad too.
Also, the unnatural look of teamcolor doesn't satisfy me. I think there(in the shader formula) should be parameter to control the saturation amount.
You know, the all in our works have to be awesome but nothing else. :wink: (or at least good for our taste XD )
is there anything you DONT complain about?? :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

lav_coyote25 wrote:is there anything you DONT complain about?? :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
nope :P there is always something that can be improved and if we can we should do that. :wink:
I just say my thoughts as I can. Jorzi understands it and it's enough for me. :)
PZI
Greenhorn

Post by PZI »

CyclonatorZ wrote:Been looking foward to doing a comparison ever since I started following Art Revolution, and now that the first patch in ages has been released, behold!

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/bk504/Co ... arison.png
:hmm: ...
I wish to add a pesonal observation: in the "old" screenshot minipods can be easily discerned from the rest of the tanks, while in the "new" one it took me some time to realize they were there too.
In addition, I believe the overall shape of said turret without the "striking colour code" may be mistaken by one of the mortar series, especially for newcomers.
What I suggest is to widen (even a little bit) the red stripes on the minipod so that they can be quicky spotted again... :ninja:

EDIT: I forgot... ....oh man THE AWESOMENESS!!! :lol2:
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Thank you everyone :) Many valid points made.
@CyclonatorZ: The bunker buster was accidentally mirrored because warzone has a left-handed coordinate system :P
@Mangust: yeah, the contrast is a bit too great and needs to be fixed at some point... However, I think we should ignore it for now and leave it to the remastering ;)
Also I too have been wondering about teamcolor saturation. The thing is, the old and new models use exactly the same shader, yet the saturation on the old models is much lower.
Oh and by the way, I'm not sure if I already included it into the released mod, but I changed specularity into a separate light that is added to the final color instead of it getting multiplied with the diffuse texture.
@Macuser: Welcome back :) Lots of stuff going on right now.
@Goth: thanks :) always good to have some extra assets for future ideas...
@PZI: yeah, we'll have to revise the minipod texture a bit

Oh, and I also did a preliminary lowpoly for the hellstorm, 164 faces, a bit hard to reduce it further without sacrificing precious detail.
Attachments
hellstorm2.jpg
ImageImage
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Almost forgot to post it here:
Preliminary export results indicate that mangust's new cannon models have serious awesomeness potential :D
(yes, I screwed up the scale, who cares :twisted: )

Also, cathuria's hellstorm model is now baked. final polycount is 153 :)
Attachments
wz2100-20110609_191138-Sk-Rush-T2.jpg
hellstorm3.jpg
ImageImage
Shadow Wolf TJC
Regular
Regular

Post by Shadow Wolf TJC »

Spoiler:
Nice! It looks just like one of those hellstorms from one of the title screens. :D
Creator of Warzone 2100: Contingency!
Founder of Wikizone 2100: http://wikizone2100.wikia.com/wiki/Wikizone_2100
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Jorzi wrote:(yes, I screwed up the scale, who cares :twisted: )
I care :D

also, there are more problems with my models. I posted that bug a long time ago but it's forgotten. :| see http://developer.wz2100.net/ticket/1875
only 1st mesh in a barrel model should have recoil animation.
barrel models should be allowed to have more than 1 mesh. (currently 2nd mesh is invisible :( ) at this image 2 barrel meshes are attteched(to be visible) what is bad.
Slye_Fox
Trained
Trained

Post by Slye_Fox »

Awesome work on the models so far.

Regarding the barrel bug;
One way to fix it would be to have the engine slightly modified so the turrets are split into 3 parts;
Turret: Controls which way the turret faces in comparison to the body
Elevation: This part would control the pitch of the weapon at a set pivot point
Barrel: This final part would be used for recoil visuals

With those Cannon Turrets, you could put the non-recoiling part of the barrel as part of the Elevation mesh.

<Edit 1>
Gonna get a pic for an explanation *Heads to 3dS Max*

<Edit 2>
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Slye_Fox wrote:Gonna get a pic for an explanation *Heads to 3dS Max*
I understand. It was my plan and I had it in mind when was making cannon models - split barrel into 2 meshes. I just can't use it yet. :)