Custom tileset causing map to not show in WZ

Get some help with creating maps or modding.
Need a map editor or other tools, look here!
silberfuchs
Greenhorn

Custom tileset causing map to not show in WZ

Post by silberfuchs »

I'm just experimenting with the map editor while trying to learn it. I'm having a bit of difficulty getting a custom tileset to work properly. Everything works fine in the editor and I am able to export the map OK. Once that's done, I add a 'texpages' directory which includes testset.pcx and testsetHW.pcx to mymap.wz.

I start up WZ and go to skirmish, of course. The map isn't listed there. If I edit the LND to use an already-existing tilset (such as texpages/tertilesC2.pcx), it works just fine (even after adding the textures as before while keeping the map as using tertilesC2.pcx instead of the custom tileset). I'm quite sure I have the directory structure right, so I'm not sure what else to try. The structure looks like this:

Code: Select all

mymap.wz
|-- multiplay
     |-- insert a lot of files here
|-- texpages
     |-- testset.pcx
     |-- testsetHW.pcx
|-- 8c-mymap.addon.lev
Any ideas?
-Kosh-
Trained
Trained

Re: Custom tileset causing map to not show in WZ

Post by -Kosh- »

O_o .pcx?
This game uses PNG.

Open up the base.wz and look at textpages that is what you must do.

For trunk, it is VERY different, look as same directory for that...
This is a waste of space. Something important should be here.
Moro_Nick
Trained
Trained

Post by Moro_Nick »

-Kosh- wrote:O_o .pcx?
This game uses PNG.

Open up the base.wz and look at textpages that is what you must do.

For trunk, it is VERY different, look as same directory for that...

besides this you have to make .png Mip-Maps of your custom tertiles.

if you are not familiar with that see whip's thread on his conversion of Grim Mod to make those custom tertiles compatible with the current binaries or terminator's thread on his recent compatibility conversion of HB's Ariza map's - custom tertiles to run with the latest series of binaries.
_ Cliques are group masturbation.

_ Art is in the eye of the beholder, even the color blind.

_ The jaded are merely feckless.

_ Audacity rewards. Contrary to scripture, the meek shall only inherit indelible memories of failed nerve.
silberfuchs
Greenhorn

Post by silberfuchs »

I guess the use of PCX format would cause it, yeah. It seems like the editor isn't too fond of PNG, though, which makes it a pain to work with. It crashes the editor when trying to load a PNG tileset. Of course, it is indexed and no fancy options. I've tried GIMP and MS Paint to export the PNG with the same results.

EDIT: Looks like the editor doesn't check if loading the PNG worked or not and then causes a crash. You should probably check the return values of all loading functions and give a helpful error message (so far, all the errors I've seen are more or less a long the lines of "something didn't work. You have to guess what."). It is now working since changing from indexed to RGB PNGs (which shouldn't mater anyways with a proper PNG handler).

EDIT2: I have created the mip-maps and included those in the both the map file and placed a copy in warzone2100/base/texpages. It still refuses to show the map as an option in-game. The mip-mapped PNGs are index (palette size of 255) just like the ones included with Warzone. What now?