Model's constraints

Get some help with creating maps or modding.
Need a map editor or other tools, look here!
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Model's constraints

Post by MaNGusT »

Why propulsions, bodies, weapons models can have only one level(mesh)? it seems like the limit in the game engine. I mean that only the 1st level is shown in the game... :(
But structures models don't have this limit. For example, oil derrick has 3 levels(meshes) .

It kills all my dreams about the animated models. :gonk:
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Re: Model's constraints

Post by Per »

Can you post an example component model with more than one mesh that does not work, so that I can see if I can figure out the why?
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

wz2100_shot_001.jpg
wz2100_shot_005.jpg
AR.wz
the mod with the models
(1.16 MiB) Downloaded 261 times
astorian
Trained
Trained

Post by astorian »

Hello,
First question: Did you named the objects LEVEL_1 and LEVEL_2?
<IF> 'YES'
Second question are they both connected to the connector?
Best regards,
Astorian
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

astorian wrote:Hello,
First question: Did you named the objects LEVEL_1 and LEVEL_2?
<IF> 'YES'
Second question are they both connected to the connector?
Best regards,
Astorian
Yes & Yes! ;)
astorian
Trained
Trained

Post by astorian »

MaNGusT wrote: Yes & Yes! ;)
Hmm ... sems like you gave to join objects to one LEVEL_1. And for animating purposes use the framed animation. (just rotate the wheels)
I am surprised about one thing. The animated pie files have all the levels as objects right? And the .ani file simple shows each frame. So what the hell is "animations are hard coded" mean???
How hard has it to be to add the attribute to other objects in source code, when the ani file and the pie file does all the animation?

Best Regards,
Astorian
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

astorian wrote:So what the hell is "animations are hard coded" mean???
How hard has it to be to add the attribute to other objects in source code, when the ani file and the pie file does all the animation?
Only the one thing is hard coded - when the animation should be started and finished.

The Cannons animation is hard-coded...
Sensors anim too..
Cyborgs.... we can use only the current "spline" animation that is hard-coded also and can't be changed by the artists to the animation like oil derrick has.
astorian
Trained
Trained

Post by astorian »

MaNGusT wrote: Cyborgs.... we can use only the current "spline" animation that is hard-coded also and can't be changed by the artists to the animation like oil derrick has.
That is not true, i successfully tested a custom model for cyborg using my custom model, but i used ANIM3DTRANS animation - like the used for the oil derrick. Just declared the objects in the ani file and changed the values for axial movement and rotation. It works.
And you can change the cyborg animation also the standard ANIM3DFRAMES way.
Therefore i think the source could be edited so that at least the propulsion models could be animated.
Best Regards,
Astorian
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

It's got spider legs!!
wz2100_shot_015.png
wz2100_shot_015.png (60.93 KiB) Viewed 6233 times
;)
I am looking into it... O_o
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

There is no animation file for the model. That is what combines the extra animated meshes with the first, non-animated mesh. Take a look at how the super cyborg is put together (using data/mp/anims/scbd_run.ani).
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Per wrote:There is no animation file for the model. That is what combines the extra animated meshes with the first, non-animated mesh. Take a look at how the super cyborg is put together (using data/mp/anims/scbd_run.ani).
But if I don't want to animate the model and want to have more then 1 mesh?
astorian
Trained
Trained

Post by astorian »

Per wrote:There is no animation file for the model. That is what combines the extra animated meshes with the first, non-animated mesh. Take a look at how the super cyborg is put together (using data/mp/anims/scbd_run.ani).
Wait ... you tell me that if i create the animation file for propulsion model - say wheels and do the animation pie file it works????
Pls let me know,
MaNGusT wrote: But if I don't want to animate the model and want to have more then 1 mesh?
Why do you need two objects then?

Best regards
Astorian
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

astorian wrote:Wait ... you tell me that if i create the animation file for propulsion model - say wheels and do the animation pie file it works????
Well, it works for the super-cyborg...
MaNGusT wrote: But if I don't want to animate the model and want to have more then 1 mesh?
Meshes other than the first are controlled by the animation "scripts". If you want them to display but not animate, I believe you need a dummy animation file.
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Per wrote:Meshes other than the first are controlled by the animation "scripts". If you want them to display but not animate, I believe you need a dummy animation file.
Ok, another question. How can I tell to the game when I want to start the animation and when I want to stop? or do we have only the cyclic animation?
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

http://docs.wz2100.net/readme-PIE%20Sli ... licer.html
Submodels, also referred to as levels, split a polymodel into "chunks" that can be used for animation. The Oil Derrick, for example, is split into three submodels, and Warzone rotates each submodel individually to create its pumping motion during game play. All polymodels will have at least one submodel. However, submodel-animation is hard-wired into Warzone. Only a select few PIE files can actually be animated in Warzone 2100 -- refer to "anim.cfg" inside of Warzone.wdg to see which ones they are.
:gonk: