Cut Scenes

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
Revelo
Trained
Trained

Re: Cut Scenes

Post by Revelo »

whippersnapper wrote:.

The link I gave you has a clear downloads page:

http://www.theora.org/downloads/

Which has the binary players AND a link for more Theora Software Players downloads:

http://wiki.xiph.org/index.php/TheoraSoftwarePlayers

That listing of dls covers every aspect of Players and Operating system downloads needed to
run the files.

Sounds like what you could use is the DirectShow filter which adds support for Ogg Vorbis, Ogg Speex, Ogg Theora, Ogg FLAC, and native FLAC to any DirectShow-compliant player such as Windows Media Playe and BSPlayer

Btw... I run the original retail files (.rpls) with the Eidos Escape Player..

Regards, whipper.
I've gone to all those links, downloaded everything I could. I already had VLC Media Player, I downloaded those binary players and the sources on the theora downloads page. I downloaded the DirectShow filter too.

Guess what? It still does not play. It has constantly failed to work on at least 6 or 7 different types of media player.

I'm ready to give up. I don't know what I have done wrong or if my computer just likes doing this to me, but no files are worth all this trouble.
Read my review of Warzone 2100 here!
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.115500
Thyranim
Trained
Trained

Post by Thyranim »

"VLC 1.0.0-RC 1 Goldeneye" with built-in codecs and without changing any settings inside VLC
->
no problems at all !
played all ogg-media files in sequences.wz with audio and video

theora-plugin is already inside vlc-player ...

don't get it why it should not be able to play ?
Revelo
Trained
Trained

Post by Revelo »

Thyranim wrote:"VLC 1.0.0-RC 1 Goldeneye" with built-in codecs and without changing any settings inside VLC
->
no problems at all !
played all ogg-media files in sequences.wz with audio and video

theora-plugin is already inside vlc-player ...

don't get it why it should not be able to play ?
I will uninstall everything and just download VLC straight away, nothing else. Last throw of the dice.

I had no idea what I needed to do with those sources or binaries once I downloaded them too.
Thyranim
Trained
Trained

Post by Thyranim »

Revelo wrote:I had no idea what I needed to do with those sources or binaries once I downloaded them too.
source ->
compile to get a binary to start

binary ->
start ?
it's an executable program, so jus start it...
Revelo
Trained
Trained

Post by Revelo »

Thyranim wrote:
source ->
compile to get a binary to start

binary ->
start ?
it's an executable program, so jus start it...
Really? I never got that prompt. Those binaries I downloaded from theora didn't come up as executable programs, they said I needed to select a program to use as they couldn't find one :-S
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

Well that's certainly a huge puzzle then because the latest game binary release with the Theora encoded FMVs is apparently working - that is
peeps are indeed playing the Campaign with those encoded FMVs which I'm assuming the distro includes the FOSS Theora player and dependencies - the whole point of shifting to a cross-platform, FOSS, encoding and playback scheme.

THE question is WHY does it work when part of the new game distro package and not when downloaded separately (the FMVs without the game)... ?

The file encoding is Theora throughout as should be, in theory, the play-back in the distro and the stand-alone player..

Beats me. sorry. Developers Bug and Zarel do run the WIN OS... they would have to be able to duplicate what's happening before an answer could
be uncovered I would hazard to guess..

Regards, whipper.

EDIT: I see Thyranim may have isolated the issue while I was writing this post.
Last edited by whippersnapper on 03 Jun 2009, 22:12, edited 1 time in total.
"I need no warrant for being, and no word of sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and the sanction." Anthem

"Art is the selective recreation of reality according to the artist's metaphysical value judgments." A. Rand
Revelo
Trained
Trained

Post by Revelo »

whippersnapper wrote:.

Well that's certainly a huge puzzle then because the latest game binary release with the Theora encoded FMVs is apparently working - that is
peeps are indeed playing the Campaign with those encoded FMVs which I'm assuming the distro includes the FOSS Theora player and dependencies - the whole point of shifting to a cross-platform, FOSS, encoding and playback scheme.

THE question is WHY does it work when part of the new game distro package and not when downloaded separately (the FMVs without the game)... ?

The file encoding is Theora throughout as should be, in theory, the play-back in the distro and the stand-alone player..

Beats me. sorry. Developers Bug and Zarel do run the WIN OS... they would have to be able to duplicate what's happening before an answer could
be uncovered I would hazard to guess..

Regards, whipper.
I won't worry about it anymore. I will try the VLC 1.0.0 RC1 and see if that works. if not i will call it quits The Cut Scenes work fine in the game. Just outside they don't.

Part of the problem is I am unfamiliar with most of the software recommended with the exception of VLC. As I said before I don;t get much chance to delve into game files and look around and tinker about.

Perhaps for future releases there should be a option to play back any Cut Scene you want after you finish the game. Unless that's already been done. Thanks for trying to help me out anyway, all of you. I probably missed something. I do apologise for the trouble.

EDIT: It failed to work with VLC 1.0.0. I noticed it cut down the file size from 798mb to 90.7mb the moment it finished downloading too, which i assumed was part of the process.
Thyranim
Trained
Trained

Post by Thyranim »

Revelo wrote:Really? I never got that prompt. Those binaries I downloaded from theora didn't come up as executable programs, they said I needed to select a program to use as they couldn't find one :-S
if that's really the case, i'd say that you have a real big problem inside your OS ;)

going to http://www.theora.org/downloads/ and there under "binaries" directly to the first "ffmpeg2theora" gives me a new site "http://v2v.cc/~j/ffmpeg2theora/" where i can go to "download" and download the "http://v2v.cc/~j/ffmpeg2theora/ffmpeg2theora-0.24.exe" which is a normal exe-file as every other exe-file from every other program too (for windows) ...
so if the os tells you, that the downloaded program is not a program..... virus killed your capability to start new programs?
or you haven't downloaded the binaries ;)
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Um... that doesn't make sense. Windows Media Player can definitely play AVI videos, and though I haven't used K-Lite Codec Pack for a while, I'm pretty sure it can play .ogg files. And I definitely remember playing .ogg files with VLC.

So clearly it's not a problem with your media player, but rather a problem with something else. Um, are you sure you're opening them correctly? Double-click, select a program manually, select VLC? Or maybe you're opening the wrong files? Just use the sequences.wz file, rename it to sequences.zip, and extract out the .ogg files.

You might want to rename the .ogg files to .ogv - we named them badly.

What I use is CCCP with its built in Media Player Classic HC. I just tried it, and it works perfectly. You'd need to uninstall K-Lite Codec Pack first, though.

EDIT: WAIT WAIT WAIT. Are you trying to open .rpl files? Nothing can open .rpl files; they need to be converted first. Let's just work on opening the .avi files. I do not know of a single video player that can't play those.
Thyranim
Trained
Trained

Post by Thyranim »

Revelo wrote:EDIT: It failed to work with VLC 1.0.0. I noticed it cut down the file size from 798mb to 90.7mb the moment it finished downloading too, which i assumed was part of the process.
why is the file shrinking ?!?
ok, i don't have time now to download this big package, but will try it tomorrow... but i can't belive it will shrink after finishing, why should it do this? and what should do this???

did you got this phenomenon whit any other files downloading ??
i would advise to check the machine for everything ... something is extremley wrong with it

edit:
Zarel wrote:You might want to rename the .ogg files to .ogv - we named them badly.
yep :stressed:
^^
Revelo
Trained
Trained

Post by Revelo »

Thyranim wrote:why is the file shrinking ?!?
ok, i don't have time now to download this big package, but will try it tomorrow... but i can't belive it will shrink after finishing, why should it do this? and what should do this???

did you got this phenomenon whit any other files downloading ??
i would advise to check the machine for everything ... something is extremley wrong with it
^^
No, only the sequences shrank. They download normally but the moment they finish they shrink, they also keep listing them as Quicktime files mysteriously even though Quicktime doesn't play them, everything else downloaded fine.

Tried that new binary and got them as exe files. Will re download, change the files to .zip and extract.

Right, i need to work out how to change the file to a zip file.

EDIT: The files are normal, seems they are at 798mb like they should be.

EDIT: WAIT WAIT WAIT. Are you trying to open .rpl files? Nothing can open .rpl files; they need to be converted first. Let's just work on opening the .avi files. I do not know of a single video player that can't play those.
No, not opening files of those types. the sequences file is an LZMA file. I need to make it a .zip file somehow to extract the stuff inside it.
Revelo
Trained
Trained

Post by Revelo »

Sonuvabitch! Downloaded the file from the downloads on the website, and it's working instantly on VLC! >.<

Ok, considering the amount of stuff i put you all through. I give people permission to hit me. :(

Am really sorry, was so bent on using the files linked here I forgot about the original one. :(