How does one use new maps on a Mac?

Do you need help? Ask here!

Bug reporting belongs here: http://developer.wz2100.net/newticket

How does one use new maps on a Mac?

Post by Guest »

Hello...I'm in a very rural area with a slow modem. Due to that reason I do not play Warzone online. I have seen and downloaded several of your new maps. I do not know how to use them. I see no way to open them within the application nor a folder to place them in. In an eMail from one of your programmers I was instructed that in order to use custom maps I need to put the wdg files into: mycomputer/C/program files/Pumpkin Studios/Warzone 2100. I use a Mac. So, I have no such folders, just the application.

However I did make a folder and named it /Warzone 2100. In that folder I made an additional folder and named it maps. In there I placed the wdg maps. However, they do not show up when the app is open. I did take a good amount of time on all of the map pages on the web. I found nothing there explaining all of this. Perhaps that could be included on-site. Again, in advance, thank you for ALL your efforts....R
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Re: How does one use new maps on a Mac?

Post by Zarel »

Guest wrote:Hello...I'm in a very rural area with a slow modem. Due to that reason I do not play Warzone online. I have seen and downloaded several of your new maps. I do not know how to use them. I see no way to open them within the application nor a folder to place them in. In an eMail from one of your programmers I was instructed that in order to use custom maps I need to put the wdg files into: mycomputer/C/program files/Pumpkin Studios/Warzone 2100. I use a Mac. So, I have no such folders, just the application.

However I did make a folder and named it /Warzone 2100. In that folder I made an additional folder and named it maps. In there I placed the wdg maps. However, they do not show up when the app is open. I did take a good amount of time on all of the map pages on the web. I found nothing there explaining all of this. Perhaps that could be included on-site. Again, in advance, thank you for ALL your efforts....R
You apparently didn't look very hard. It's the first question in the FAQ:

http://wz2100.net/faq#HowdoIinstallamap

The instructions for Mac OS X: Move the map into ~/Library/Application Support/Warzone 2100/maps/

Are you sure you e-mailed one of our programmers? Who did you e-mail? No one would ever tell you to put it into Program Files/Pumpkin Studios/Warzone 2100 - that's a completely outdated folder that only exists the original Windows version from 1999.

In addition, it doesn't matter how slow your modem is - I've played Warzone with people on 14.4k modems. You do not need a very fast Internet connection to play Warzone.

Post by Guest »

Perhaps I have not looked hard enough indeed! Yet that is not the case. The URL: http://wz2100.net/faq#HowdoIinstallamap will take you to the correct FAX page. It shows the correct directory. It also says: 'NOTE: Maps must be in .wz files. If they are .wdg files, they must be converted. They can be converted automatically using Buginator's converter.' The link takes you to a page that explains the how to! It tells me this:

'Create a new directory (any name), and stick all the map .wdg files
in that directory along with wdg2wz.exe.

Now just run the program.
It will auto convert the maps to the correct format.'

Again I'm on a MAC and exe files will not run on my MAC. And I have no wdg2zx.exe included in my original install.

So here I am again with a number of .wdg files on a MAC.

Again please, How does one use new maps on a Mac?

As to the question of who I questioned via email. I'd not post his full email addy here. Yet if the info is incorrect and he is informing of the incorrect info he/she should be informed. This persons user name at their addy is gjlwood. Perhaps you know and can inform. Again Thanks for your information and time.

Oh yes. Try a modem at the end of a farm line. I'm talking slow here!
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

Guest wrote: So here I am again with a number of .wdg files on a MAC.

As to the question of who I questioned via email. I'd not post his full email addy here. Yet if the info is incorrect and he is informing of the incorrect info he/she should be informed. This persons user name at their addy is gjlwood. Perhaps you know and can inform. Again Thanks for your information and time.
First off, I have never seen / heard that user before. Highly doubt it was a dev.
C/program files/Pumpkin Studios/Warzone 2100. is from version 1.10, so again, they have nothing to do with this project, and they gave you wrong info.

2nd, Yes, the .wdg map files need converting.
No, there isn't a utility available besides the one on windows.
Stick with the maps in the showcase section for now.
and it ends here.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Guest wrote:So here I am again with a number of .wdg files on a MAC.

Sorry, I didn't see you say "wdg". You can't use wdg files on a Mac. If you point us a link to them, or upload them here, (or upload them somewhere else; I'm not sure if guests can upload attachments), we'd be happy to convert them for you.

(By the way, a Macintosh computer should be capitalized "Mac" - since "MAC" refers to Media Access Control.)
Guest wrote:As to the question of who I questioned via email. I'd not post his full email addy here. Yet if the info is incorrect and he is informing of the incorrect info he/she should be informed. This persons user name at their addy is gjlwood. Perhaps you know and can inform. Again Thanks for your information and time.
I've never heard of "gjlwood". Perhaps you could tell us his e-mail address or some method of contacting him, so we can tell him to stop pretending to be one of our devs. I'm not entirely sure why you feel the need to hide his e-mail address. If it's just because you don't want to show it on a public forum, free to e-mail it to me at zarel@aesoft.org
Guest wrote:Oh yes. Try a modem at the end of a farm line. I'm talking slow here!
You try it. Unless you have severe packet loss, you should be fine.

Post by Guest »

Indeed I did not give his name in a public forum and did eMail you with the information.

I also suggested somehow either informing Mac users that the files they are about to download are .wdg file they will not be able to use as there is no Mac user converter available. As you offered to convert the .wdg files for me, I also suggested in the eMail you might better satisfy us pubic people by uploading them here on the map pages. Perhaps something can be done for us Mac players.

You mention packet loss. I'm not sure I know what that is. I'm 61. I'm told I have bone density loss. But, now I may also have packet loss? Damn! I tell 'ya though, On a good day I'm happy to get 1k at the end of my 1.5 mile long farm line lying on this rural ground. Now 1k I can convert. On even a good day, this old man can walk the 1.5 miles faster then 1/sec travels. By the time I make my move and you find out what it is, you would fall asleep.

But I love the game. I'd just like some new 'adventures'.

Thanks for the time and effort.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Guest wrote:Indeed I did not give his name in a public forum and did eMail you with the information.

I also suggested somehow either informing Mac users that the files they are about to download are .wdg file they will not be able to use as there is no Mac user converter available. As you offered to convert the .wdg files for me, I also suggested in the eMail you might better satisfy us pubic people by uploading them here on the map pages. Perhaps something can be done for us Mac players.
We mention that we only support .wz maps, and that .wdg maps need to be converted, right in the FAQ. I don't know where you found .wdg maps, but it isn't affiliated with us. Most likely, the websites you found those files in are unmaintained, so there's nothing we can do about it. As far as we know, all our affiliated websites (wz2100.net, warzone2100.de) only have .wz maps and mods.
Guest wrote:You mention packet loss. I'm not sure I know what that is. I'm 61. I'm told I have bone density loss. But, now I may also have packet loss? Damn! I tell 'ya though, On a good day I'm happy to get 1k at the end of my 1.5 mile long farm line lying on this rural ground. Now 1k I can convert. On even a good day, this old man can walk the 1.5 miles faster then 1/sec travels. By the time I make my move and you find out what it is, you would fall asleep.
Heh. All I'm saying is, Warzone works on nearly every Internet connection I know of.
Guest wrote:But I love the game. I'd just like some new 'adventures'.

Thanks for the time and effort.
:)
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

it took me a while to figure this one out - i know where he is going for the maps. :) our old friend VTOL. :D i just did a looksee and he is still up with all the old original maps and utilities and his own stuff... mods maps and utilitys. :D

all the maps you want are available here for use with the new releases.... maps are maps - they should work with all OSes. if i am wrong - someone please correct me. :3 xD

Post by Guest »

The original maps I found were available at this URL:

http://warzone2100.strategyplanet.gamespy.com/maps

They are not in the .wz format making them useless to a Mac user. As far as I can see, this site, in the FAX area, explains where to put map files, and explains the need to have them in the correct Mac use format. Yet, there is no way I can discover how to reformat them.

The maps I have found look well done. I'd like to find a way to convert them. Also, is there somewhere a depository of .wz maps available for download? If so please post the correct URL.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

Guest wrote:The original maps I found were available at this URL:

http://warzone2100.strategyplanet.gamespy.com/maps

They are not in the .wz format making them useless to a Mac user. As far as I can see, this site, in the FAX area, explains where to put map files, and explains the need to have them in the correct Mac use format. Yet, there is no way I can discover how to reformat them.

The maps I have found look well done. I'd like to find a way to convert them. Also, is there somewhere a depository of .wz maps available for download? If so please post the correct URL.
To make a long story short, the reason why we don't have a bunch of converted files on this site is purely for legal reasons.
We need to get permission from the original author, and without that, the overlord doesn't want any 'questionable' content on his site. He pays for it, and it would be his hide if someone throws a hissy-fit. This site goes by German law.

As soon as I find a 3rd party lib that will work on all platforms (for the memory -> zip writes), I will re-release the converter.
and it ends here.
heatwave
Trained
Trained

Post by heatwave »

Huh. Well, I'm still having trouble. I downloaded a few maps (in .wz format via "the legit map thread") moved them to the appropriate location (~/Library/Application Support/Warzone 2100 2.2/maps/), then booted up Warzone, then went Single Player > Start New Skirmish > Select Map, and lo and behold, no new maps.

Curiously, my Warzone 2100 2.2/maps file was empty prior to me placing the downloaded maps. Is the file only used for custom maps that the user downloads? Where are the default maps located?

Either way, you've got a new dedicated Mac user who will forever worship the game that is Warzone. Thanks.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

heatwave wrote:Huh. Well, I'm still having trouble. I downloaded a few maps (in .wz format via "the legit map thread") moved them to the appropriate location (~/Library/Application Support/Warzone 2100 2.2/maps/), then booted up Warzone, then went Single Player > Start New Skirmish > Select Map, and lo and behold, no new maps.

Curiously, my Warzone 2100 2.2/maps file was empty prior to me placing the downloaded maps. Is the file only used for custom maps that the user downloads? Where are the default maps located?

Either way, you've got a new dedicated Mac user who will forever worship the game that is Warzone. Thanks.
Run the game from command line, and add --debug all --debugfile whatever.txt
Then attach whatever.txt to your post.
Also, dunno if you know this, but if the map is made for 4p, then it will only show if you click on the 4 button, or the * button... same for 2 & 8p
and it ends here.
heatwave
Trained
Trained

Post by heatwave »

Run the game from command line...
As in,
open -a Warzone (?)
I have very little experience with Terminal. Playing Tetris in emacs is about the coolest thing I've ever done with it. :rolleyes:

At any rate, The command I used above simply runs Warzone in the same way that clicking on it would. I'm sure that wasn't your intention. I think you wanted something like this:

["Run game from Terminal" command] --debugall --debugfile whatever.txt

Which I would run all at once, in one line, correct? Warzone would launch from the terminal, debug, and dump into "whatever.txt."
I just don't know what takes the place of ["Run game from Terminal" command].

Oh yeah, I wouldn't mind doing a fresh install.
As for now, I'm assuming that you'd still like to take a look at the prospective debug file I'm having trouble to create, so I'll hold off for now. But if you'd rather not bother with my problem, let me know. :P
I'd post back here if a fresh install fixed the problem, of course.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

heatwave wrote: As in,
open -a Warzone (?)
I have very little experience with Terminal. Playing Tetris in emacs is about the coolest thing I've ever done with it. :rolleyes:

At any rate, The command I used above simply runs Warzone in the same way that clicking on it would. I'm sure that wasn't your intention. I think you wanted something like this:

["Run game from Terminal" command] --debugall --debugfile whatever.txt

Which I would run all at once, in one line, correct? Warzone would launch from the terminal, debug, and dump into "whatever.txt."
I just don't know what takes the place of ["Run game from Terminal" command].

Oh yeah, I wouldn't mind doing a fresh install.
As for now, I'm assuming that you'd still like to take a look at the prospective debug file I'm having trouble to create, so I'll hold off for now. But if you'd rather not bother with my problem, let me know. :P
I'd post back here if a fresh install fixed the problem, of course.
You open a terminal window.
then in that, you run the warzone application with --debugall --debugfile whatever.txt after it, so something like:
warzone2100 --debugall --debugfile whatever.txt

I don't got a mac, so not 100% sure of that, but it should be pretty close.
and it ends here.
heatwave
Trained
Trained

Post by heatwave »

I got pretty close. This command opens Warzone from the actual executable (which might not make any difference at all):
open "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/Users/Dustin/Games/GameFiles/Warzone.app/Contents/MacOS/Warzone"

It's the other stuff that doesn't work. A Google search for --debugall yields no results pertaining to a Terminal command; quotes and no quotes.
I'll just do a fresh install.

Hold on a sec!
I think I found where the maps are; they're packaged within the Warzone app itself.

On a Mac:
Right click on Warzone. Click "Show Packaged Contents." Then Follow this file-path:
/Contents/Resources/data/base/multiplay/maps
Within this folder, there is a folder for each skirmish map, along with a .gam file for each map. I can't upload the files; when I try it says the extensions of the files are not allowed. Here's a picture:

If I remove those files from /multiplay/maps and try to start a skirmish game on Highground, Warzone crashes. After replacing them, it works just fine.

So apparently, .wz files are Windows only?