Another of those "how easy would it be" ideas...

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Another of those "how easy would it be" ideas...

Post by themousemaster »

I just (for the first... and LAST(stupid 1337 d00dz)... time in a while) played a game of starcraft multiplayer, and it had a feature that I remember from when I used to play (read:  enjoyed) it.

More than one player can control the same units.

My brother / friends and I would use this, basically setting up 2v2 matches, although each side only had 1 "team" as it were.  I would always focus on base defense and recon, my partner would handle attacking (not that we wouldn't double-team in case of emergency).

How difficult would it be to allow multiple people to control the same units in WZ?

I imagine this would be an awesome addition combined with, say, the "drive mode" being discussed elsewhere (hopping in the driver's seat of a vehicle), essentially having teams where (by agreement of the players, not game mechanics, of course) one guy commands the army, and another, say, hops into the seat of a Command Tank to control a battlegroup from the field?  Or, just having 2 "CO's" would be useful on very large maps in the first place...
kage
Regular
Regular

Re: Another of those "how easy would it be" ideas...

Post by kage »

well, to support this, any ideas we'd have had (whatever they were) for the netcode rewrite would probably have to be rewritten... i really don't know: one of the devs should be able to answer this.
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

Don't know. Haven't dealt with that part of the code I think.

My initial idea for a clean implementation is that for this the entities "player" (sitting behind his PC) and "faction" (units and buildings on the map) would need to be seperated.
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

DevUrandom wrote: Don't know. Haven't dealt with that part of the code I think.

My initial idea for a clean implementation is that for this the entities "player" (sitting behind his PC) and "faction" (units and buildings on the map) would need to be seperated.
that's a good idea. if you're going to make that seperation, you might as well abstract the interface to allow for more than one hook, and then, on normal games, boot anyone who sends or asks for information for a player not initially registered with their ip