New feature: Gates

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
kipman725
Trained
Trained

Re: New feature: Gates

Post by kipman725 »

this looks very interesting and should stop my usual tactic for defences which is to just carry on driving through untill I get to the players base.
DarkCheetah
Trained
Trained

Post by DarkCheetah »

how do you use th egates in Beta 4? to i have to import them into the warzone.wz file.?
Tiuz
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Tiuz »

DarkCheetah wrote:how do you use th egates in Beta 4? to i have to import them into the warzone.wz file.?
Just copy the torheiten_05.wz file into mods/global directory of your WZ installation. Then execute Warzone with the command line option:

--mod torheiten_05.wz

Tiuz.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Great work indeed.
But that would use some new texturizing, definetely.
(I'm willing to help out, if you send me the trexture files by e-mail)
[email protected]
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Post some images with the texture I've sent you!!! :D
Phoenix666
Trained
Trained

Post by Phoenix666 »

I find editing Shortcuts easier
But with Shortcuts you can't run 2 and more mode at the same time!
Tiuz
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Tiuz »

This is a new version for 2.1 beta5 including improved textures created by Olrox!

Tiuz.
Attachments
torheiten_06_21b5.wz
Version for 2.1 beta5
(1.23 MiB) Downloaded 394 times
New_textures2.jpg
New_textures.jpg
elio
Regular
Regular

Post by elio »

looks very nice!
wari
Trained
Trained

Post by wari »

wow, kick ass.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

That's awesome.
Is it possible for you to create a 2-square gate? Because I always get my units to stuck and therefore, slow down, when I do 1-square "spaces" in my walls between hardpoints. You coud also just create a inverted model, so we could put one beside the other and then abra kadabra only should work. xD
MetalBeast
Trained
Trained

Post by MetalBeast »

Great work! :D
fisk0
Trained
Trained

Post by fisk0 »

I love the idea, and the gate itself looks great, but I don't really think that booth thing fits very well, wouldn't it be better to make the entire gate opening two tiles wide, kind of like the gates in C&C Tiberian Sun? But maybe that isn't possible to do in WZ.
Desktop: AMD Athlon X3 440 3.0ghz, 4GB RAM, Radeon HD4200, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Laptop: AMD Athlon X2 QL-64 2.1Ghz, 3GB RAM, Radeon HD3200, Windows Vista Home Basic 32-bit & Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit
Tiuz
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Tiuz »

Namely this mod adds a gate functionality to wz, but it is at all no solid solution. The gate barrier is set and removed by script functions and many resultings problems are fixed by work arrounds. Using this approach i think, there always will be some unsolved problems. The gate functionality should be a constituent part of the warzone code, but i can not do this.

However it is possible to make the pass of the gate two tile wide, but i think there are a couple of disadvantages:
- Beside the removable part(s) of the gate must be a fix component, so alltogether it has to be at least three tiles wide, better four, because of symmetry. Many bottle necks of wz maps are not wide enough for this. If it gets destroyed, there is a wide breach in your wall.
- The structure can not easily be updated with up to date weapons, so it had always to be replaced if its potentially integrated weapons get obsolet.

Tiuz.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

I can see if I can add some code support. Ideally gates would be built just like wall pieces - they are rotated automatically depending on neighbouring wall pieces. However, this means that we need a corner gate model, as well, for when it is built without any neighbours or when neighbours form a 90 degree angle on it. Not sure how that should be done.

Maybe one solution is to require that a gate has at least one wall piece as neighbour before you can build it. Then the code will know which way it should be rotated. And then not use any corner piece, if a gate or wall piece is added at a 90 degree angle, it stays the way it is.

Opinions?
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Per wrote:I can see if I can add some code support. Ideally gates would be built just like wall pieces - they are rotated automatically depending on neighbouring wall pieces. However, this means that we need a corner gate model, as well, for when it is built without any neighbours or when neighbours form a 90 degree angle on it. Not sure how that should be done.

Maybe one solution is to require that a gate has at least one wall piece as neighbour before you can build it. Then the code will know which way it should be rotated. And then not use any corner piece, if a gate or wall piece is added at a 90 degree angle, it stays the way it is.

Opinions?
I think that's fine.
Isn't there a way not to allow players to put gates atop corners only? Like, you can put hardpoints over walls, but is there any way to forbid emplacement of gates over already formed corners? In this case, it should be intereseting that gates depended on walls but other structures won't consider it a wall piece itself, if you get what I mean.