New feature: Gates

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Re: New feature: Gates

Post by Per »

Delphinio wrote:do you know the old gates mod for 1.10? it had better gates ; ).
What was better?
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

-----

* Apparently the fact-filled answer to the question of the 2004 Gates Mod was of no value so I have deleted as best I can.

- RV :)
Last edited by Rman Virgil on 24 Sep 2008, 13:39, edited 1 time in total.

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
zydonk
Trained
Trained

Post by zydonk »

NIce one, tiuz. Really nifty.

Is the gate structure upgraded along with other structural material? Seems easily clobbered in early mid game (after T1 concrete upgrades). I don't usually use walls (then in the form of towers) until T3. Use bunkers to close off chokes before that.

Could the mod be recompiled for v1.10? Perhaps make it compatible with aivolution? I tried, but only squat so far.

ciao
Tiuz
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Tiuz »

@ zydonk:
Thank you for testing! I'm not quite sure if gate components benefit by structure upgrades, because their structure type is DEFENSE, like bunkers etc. But i will change it to for example to type WALL and test it.
An 1.10 version is possible but time consuming, because the mod must compiled as *.wdg file ? I'm just working on a 2.0.10 version.
Generally if you want to use an other mod and the gate mod at the same time, you only have to replace the files of warzone.wz and mp.wz with the fitting gate mod files. Unfortunately the aivolution mod is something special, because it uses the playerx.slo and playerx.vlo script files, too. In this case you have to add the event 'gate functionality' and all associated variable definition. O_o

By the way: Isn't aivolution already integrated as standard in 2.1 beta 4?

Tiuz.

Version 2.0.10 is updated:

- 'Only AI player number zero is working' bug fixed.
- 'Reaserch twice' bug fixed
- English notations
Attachments
torheiten_06_2010.wz
New 2.0.10 gate mod version
(740.08 KiB) Downloaded 430 times
Last edited by Tiuz on 25 Sep 2008, 21:11, edited 2 times in total.
zydonk
Trained
Trained

Post by zydonk »

Yes, that could be the reason. Be a good idea to make it a wall asset. (esp because destruction of the gate leaves two spaces exposed)

re v1.10: I did manage to compile a wdg, making sure to change the png file to pcx. But I get two errors in attempting to load a game (1) cannot open an image: intfac0.pcx and (2) cannot load res_load(0) file. Perhaps some devs can help out here. btw, aivolution under v1.10 is not a simple wdg and is best loaded thru WZStarter (v useful little app - any chance of an update - esp to screens?). I tried the mod both with and without aivolution, and got the same error messages (which mightn't indicate anything about aivolution and gate).

The gate makes a pretty subtle difference to gameplay, in my exp anyway. Being able to nip in and out of base tempts me to be more adventurous early in the game (got away with it once; got kicked the other time!) But, the gate appears to the AI as a simple opening, which prompts it to attack more often. I tend to lock down my defence, and I find now that the AI players do not build up such big forces as hitherto. So more frequent attacks but with weaker forces. Given the choice, I prefer it hot and heavy from time to time rather than being buzzed all the time.

That's an initial impression. I'll know better when I can play a full game with the amended mod.

Attaching the wdg version of your mod for your information.
Attachments
gate.zip
doesn't work. perhaps someone can work out why.
(312.29 KiB) Downloaded 351 times
Tiuz
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Tiuz »

I will look into your 1.10 version.
Probably there are additonal features of later versions, 1.10 doesnt expect. Did you only add gate mod related things to the original 1.10 files or replace the complete files?

Tiuz.
zydonk
Trained
Trained

Post by zydonk »

No, I simply de-compiled the wz and recompiled it with MakeWDG. Xcept for converting the image file. I wasn't too surprised that a mod designed for v2.1 didn't work with v1.10, given how much has been changed. I daresay a proper wdg mod can be constructed using your pies etc, but it's your mod and you should (if you wish to) be the one to do it.

ps just realised that converting the texpage to pcx is not sufficient in itself. The colour mode needs to be changed to the Warzone custom 256/8 bit palette. None of my graphics progs seems to be able to do this.

adios
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Post by Terminator »

Delphinio wrote:do you know the old gates mod for 1.10? it had better gates ; ).
Agree =) mod for 1.10 - was pretty =) here it is > http://www.crosswar.ru/index.php?do=fil ... type=files
Death is the only way out... sh*t Happens !

Russian-speaking Social network Group http://vk.com/warzone2100
Zi-Chan
Trained
Trained

Post by Zi-Chan »

Tiuz wrote:Added: Version for 2.0.10
Thanks - works great on my 2.0.10. :)

I've got a Question:
I can research the Gate twice with the same Name - why - what does that improve?
And a Suggestion:
Make those Gates Wall-Type - then they get stronger with Wall-Researches - as they should, because they are - and then built Walls connect to the Gate (looks weird sometimes - like Tanks could drive through Wall and Gate, because their is no visible Connection between them)

Oh and yes - you should create english and german Versions - it's german only.
Ich verstehs, aber andere nicht :)
:ninja:
Tiuz
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Tiuz »

The 'research twice' problem is solved, and english notatations are insert. (Download above)
The gate components are of type DOOR (like cannon fortress eg.), however they should be updated with structure improvements. Unfortunately problem of wall connections can not be solved easily by declaring them to type WALL. I have to think about it ;)
Usually i build hart points or a line of wall segments next to the gates, so it does not look so weird.

Tiuz.
Delphinio
Art contributor

Post by Delphinio »

gates mod source for 1.10
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

---------------------->

* Inspite of the ostrich herd approach, let's try this factual explication one last time.

* The 2004 Gates Mod by Troman (coder) and Elric (artist) is dependent on
string support for scripts which DOESNOT exist is in the v.1.10 Pumpkin source.
It was created-added by Troman subsequent to liberation and utilized it's own executable.
(You can read what this means here: http://realtimestrategies.net/forums/vi ... .php?t=464 )

* The data (art) was NOT GPLed which makes utilization and
distribution problematic if not straight-up illegal.. (I actually asked about that status
specifically applying presently about a month ago and was confirmed it still in effect
and that permission wouldNOT be granted at this time...)

- RV :cool:

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Phoenix666
Trained
Trained

Post by Phoenix666 »

if you want to run WZ with two and more mods(but be carefull some mods are incompatable)

go into mods/global (or /multiplay if you want to apply mods only for MP) and move mods, witch you want to use in mods/global (or /multiplay) /autoload
and WZ will always run these mods, without editing links!
Zi-Chan
Trained
Trained

Post by Zi-Chan »

Phoenix666 wrote:if you want to run WZ with two and more mods(but be carefull some mods are incompatable)

go into mods/global (or /multiplay if you want to apply mods only for MP) and move mods, witch you want to use in mods/global (or /multiplay) /autoload
and WZ will always run these mods, without editing links!
I find editing Shortcuts easier :-S
:ninja:
zydonk
Trained
Trained

Post by zydonk »

I see that the v1.10 gate mod (hats off to troman, again (not forgetting Elric)) runs in aivolution (tho' an earlier version, I suspect).

Notice, tiuz, that troman modified the tower structure for his mod. This may allow it to be upgraded as WALL. Would that be a work-round for your mod?

Hey, all these really useful goodies!