[Old thread] Are you translating warzone to your language?

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

[Old thread] Are you translating warzone to your language?

Post by Buginator »

For those of you that are editing the .po files for your specific language, please post what language you are currently doing or have done, and the percent finished.

Trying to keep things in one place.

List / sign up sheet so far:
  • Language : percent done : Author(s)
    -------------------------------------------------------
    English : 100%
    German : 99%
    Italian : 100% : Doom3r & Alpha93
    PT_BR (portuguese brazilian translation) : 100% : Tucalipe
    PT_PT (Portugal Portuguese) : 25-35% : HolyDragoon
    Russian : ??
    Spanish : ??
    Swedish : ??
    ?? : ??
    --------------------------------------------------------
I'll try to update this list as often as I see someone post to this thread. :)

Please note, I am trying to keep the size of this thread down to a minimum, since it can grow to a huge monster thread, and I know people will not read all of it.
So just post if you are doing a language, and or want to help with doing one.
Progress reports will be left until the translation reaches 100%, then they will be deleted for the reasons stated above.
Posts stating that you started work will be left, until 100%.

* NOTE, slight change in this, since it was brought to my attention that this can get overlooked too easily.
So now, after you have finished, you do:

* Leave a note here that you finished. (I will update the list, and then you open a new ticket, at this url, don't forget to login, it is same handle/password as forums)
* http://developer.wz2100.net/newticket
attach the file, and say it is a update, post your contact info (if you want).
* It will then get applied.

Oh, and you will be credited in the appropriate file, so don't worry about that aspect.
Just specify the name/handle you want, and a e-mail address (if you want), and stick all that info in your ticket that you created.

Thanks again for all your hard work! :3
fisk0
Trained
Trained

Re: Are you translating warzone to your language?

Post by fisk0 »

I'm about to start trying this, there already is a partly translated version, I can't say how much work has been done on it so far.
I noticed that the 2.1 branch has two swedish language files, sv.po and sv_SE.po, which of them is the one that's used? Most other languages only seem to have one file. According to poedit sv.po is only 1% translated while sv_SE.po is 18% translated.
Desktop: AMD Athlon X3 440 3.0ghz, 4GB RAM, Radeon HD4200, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Laptop: AMD Athlon X2 QL-64 2.1Ghz, 3GB RAM, Radeon HD3200, Windows Vista Home Basic 32-bit & Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit
fisk0
Trained
Trained

Post by fisk0 »

Do you have any translator guide lines or something? Should translations try to be literal translations of the english versions?
The swedish language does not seem to have a common word for "skirmish" (as I said in the other thread, we have a word that does not seem to have been used in common language since about the 1920's), so I'm thinking of translating it to something closer to "Training battle against AI" or something like that. There are also some differences in the language that are a bit hard to translate since it looks like things are hardcoded - understandably I think, but still hard to translate. For example, "Sensor unit" is not written as two words in swedish, but combined to the single word sensorenhet, and that's about how all those kinds of words work in my language. How something like "Machinegun Viper Tracks" should be translated I have no idea of, so I guess that'll have to be untranslated for now (though, I think most swedes are used to the english language to the extent that a translation is not even needed, we do not have the tradition of dubbing international movies, and in the last 30 years, only a handful games have ever been translated to swedish, almost all of them educational games for kids, with the unusual exception of Diablo 1 for the PSX).
Still, since the game already has a swedish translation, it should be made as good as possible.

Perhaps someone working with the german translation could say how they handled words that are written as one word in the german language but separate words in english, since the german language is somewhat similar to swedish?
Desktop: AMD Athlon X3 440 3.0ghz, 4GB RAM, Radeon HD4200, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Laptop: AMD Athlon X2 QL-64 2.1Ghz, 3GB RAM, Radeon HD3200, Windows Vista Home Basic 32-bit & Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

No, I am not aware of any guidelines, unless they are on the wiki?

I know Kreuvf does the German po files, so he would be good to ask/pm.

Sorry, can't be more helpful.
HolyDragoon
Trained
Trained

Post by HolyDragoon »

Tucalipe is working on the PT_BR (portuguese brazilian translation) I'm not sure of the current status, due to the latest beta. I'm working in the PT_PT translation (Portugal Portuguese) and i'm... 25-35% done perhaps.
"Relativity applies to Physics, not Ethics." - Albert Einstein
doom3r
Regular
Regular

Post by doom3r »

We (Alpha93 & I*) started working togheter to complete the translation, it will be ready soon.
EDIT: we're done, finally. Here it is

*Edit:
Author list:
Cristiano Odorico, (generalchris@XXXXXX dot it)* [Alpha93]
[Removed] (XXXXXX@XXXXXX)* [doom3r]
*e-mail addresses hidden from spam bots.
Last edited by Mysteryem on 09 Sep 2015, 11:49, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Removed doom3r's details at user's request
Tucalipe
Trained
Trained

Post by Tucalipe »

Sorry for the long abscence, i'm kinda addicted to mmorpg and studying now :D
Anyways, I can assure you, this is the 100% translated version from the 2.1 branch.
Attachments

[The extension po has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Kinnison
Greenhorn

Post by Kinnison »

Hello all! I stumbled upon this some days ago, but I wasnt hoping that I could help with development due to my weak programming skills. However, I would love it if I could help create a greek translation. There are very few games translated in greek, after all its a small country with a small market so it's not too profitablefor commercial products :P However, I would still be interested in creating a greek transalation. Transalators could use a few pointers, though: Do we have to transalate every single word or can some "untransalatable" ones be left in english? If something doesnt make sense when transalated, can we change it to be more logical or should we try to stay "by the books"? I had a go of SPORE in a localised greek version, and it turns out most of the text is too hard to understand because they tried to go for a word-for-word translation, which does not weild good results with greek (that is quite different to most other languages).

So, to get going, I just have to download a sample .po file and start working on that?
In that case, consider me at 0% of GR translation at this point.
If anyone else is working on GR, please stop me!
fisk0
Trained
Trained

Post by fisk0 »

I've been trying to translate more of the sv_SE.po from time to time, but I encountered a strange error, line 12245, with the text "%u unit selected" can not be translated, whatever I enter to the line isn't saved, and when I try to save the file i get the error:
msgmt: found 1 fatal error
20:06:43: H:\warzone language files\2.1\sv_SE.po:12245: missing `msgstr[]' section
20:06:43: msgfmt: found 1 fatal error
Other than that I think I've got about 19% of the file translated now. Not much more than was already translated (though I changed the wording of several already translated lines as well), but it's pretty hard to translate a lot of the stuff. I guess I'm not skilled enough in military words, but it's really hard to find good translations of several common words in the game, for example "Campaign", which in the military meaning of the word would probably be translated to "Fälttåg", but that does not look very good in writing and feels really strange when used in lines like "Load a campaign only mod" and such. Maybe I should leave the translation to the guy who had translated part of the file earlier after all. :)
Kinnison
Greenhorn

Post by Kinnison »

I havent gotten an answer yet so I am going to just grab the italian transalation and start working with that, since I cant find an empty english file to use...
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

Kinnison wrote: Do we have to transalate every single word or can some "untransalatable" ones be left in english?
That is up to you.
If something doesnt make sense when transalated, can we change it to be more logical or should we try to stay "by the books"? I had a go of SPORE in a localised greek version, and it turns out most of the text is too hard to understand because they tried to go for a word-for-word translation, which does not weild good results with greek (that is quite different to most other languages).
That is also up to you. It isn't like we will know what your are saying, so unless someone else comes around, and says that is wrong, then you can pretty much do it however you think is best.
So, to get going, I just have to download a sample .po file and start working on that?
In that case, consider me at 0% of GR translation at this point.
If anyone else is working on GR, please stop me!
Yeah, that is pretty much it. Just get a po editor, and start converting.

έχετε τη μετάφραση διασκέδασης!
I hope that is correct... :) but knowing the translators, it most likely got it wrong. :(
Kinnison
Greenhorn

Post by Kinnison »

Buginator wrote: έχετε τη μετάφραση διασκέδασης!
I hope that is correct... :) but knowing the translators, it most likely got it wrong. :(
hehe indeed it got it wrong, if someone asked me to translate that to english it would be "Have (as in own) the fun translation" :P Of course I know you meant Have fun translating, and thanks for that :P
doom3r
Regular
Regular

Post by doom3r »

τέρπε σαυτόν εν τη μετάφρασε

...That's how they said it 2000 years ago while translating Warzone 210 b.C. I guess xD
TheDaze
Trained
Trained

Post by TheDaze »

Yes well, I would like to help with the slovenian translation. I can see the po file un the developement site, however, I can't seem to find a way to dl the file itself, let alone ul it after i'm done. The forums' account doesn't work there. What should I do to get proper access?

v2.1b5 already includes a partial translation. I would like to start from scratch anyway.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

TheDaze wrote:Yes well, I would like to help with the slovenian translation. I can see the po file un the developement site, however, I can't seem to find a way to dl the file itself, let alone ul it after i'm done. The forums' account doesn't work there. What should I do to get proper access?

v2.1b5 already includes a partial translation. I would like to start from scratch anyway.
Go to this page:
http://developer.wz2100.net/browser/trunk/po

Click on the one you want, and then, after it loads, at the bottom, it will say download in original format.
Click that, and then get poedit (or whatever), and start.

Once done, leave a note here that you finished, I will update the list, and then open a new ticket:
http://developer.wz2100.net/newticket
attach the file, and say it is a update.
It will then get applied.
and it ends here.