new factory in developement

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
elio
Regular
Regular

new factory in developement

Post by elio »

i'm very productive today haha, so here's a factory proposal. it has 142 vertices and 234 faces

+ it has two weapon slots, i think this is quiet useful so your factory can defend itself at the beginning of a game. with the new ui in developement i would like to have a structure designer, you can select a structure and set it's weapons, after clicking ok or apply the weapon disappears and after a certain amount of time (like factoring a tank) the new weapon is ready for defending
Attachments
screen1.jpg
screen2.jpg
screen3.jpg
Deus Siddis
Trained
Trained

Re: new factory in developement

Post by Deus Siddis »

elio wrote:+ it has two weapon slots, i think this is quiet useful so your factory can defend itself at the beginning of a game. with the new ui in developement i would like to have a structure designer, you can select a structure and set it's weapons, after clicking ok or apply the weapon disappears and after a certain amount of time (like factoring a tank) the new weapon is ready for defending
Now that is an excellent idea!

Mopping up bases is usually very boring business and dedicated defensive structures often lead to gridlock inside a base, an especially big problem with AA.

But you need to be able to demolish base structure defenses and replace them with something else without having to demolish the entire base structure.
elio
Regular
Regular

Post by elio »

i would like to have a structure designer, you can select a structure and set it's weapons, after clicking ok or apply the weapon disappears and after a certain amount of time (like factoring a tank) the new weapon is ready for defending
don't you like the idea? or just read over? :)
Deus Siddis
Trained
Trained

Post by Deus Siddis »

elio wrote:
i would like to have a structure designer, you can select a structure and set it's weapons, after clicking ok or apply the weapon disappears and after a certain amount of time (like factoring a tank) the new weapon is ready for defending
don't you like the idea? or just read over? :)
I am not sure what you are saying now, but yes I do like your idea of having weapon hardpoints on base structures, in fact I love it.

It solves alot of problems like those I mentioned in my previous post and it makes warzone increasingly modular, which is building on one of its greatest strengths (especially against 'competition' like the Spring project, which while being impressive as a whole, has no modular design or customization for anything).
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Deus Siddis wrote:I am not sure what you are saying now, but yes I do like your idea of having weapon hardpoints on base structures, in fact I love it.
He's saying there should be a "structure design" system, that would work like this:

- Select a structure
-> A menu opens up, allowing you to select a weapon
- Select a weapon
-> If there is already a weapon on the structure, the current weapon disappears
-> The new weapon is created like a factory produces units, and placed on top of the factory

By the way, I also think this is a great idea. The animation should probably look something like a truck building something, and trucks should be able to assist the factory to make it build the turret faster.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

I wonder how will this affect balance?
Would the weapon/whatever eat up more power than normal (like add a modifier to how much energy the factory uses?), or would it be more or less 'free' like the little radar dish on the HQ?

Speaking of HQ, you would think that would be a well armed fortress, instead of the punny thing it is now.
elio
Regular
Regular

Post by elio »

@zarel: that is exactly what i meant
good question

i think early rush will be more difficult.
EvilGuru
Regular
Regular

Post by EvilGuru »

Structure designing will be quite a chore to do each and every time you play a game. Furthermore, how would one handle pre-constructed factories?

As opposed to designing factories, it might be better to allow one to build regular structures on a part of a factory. This would simplify the process somewhat.

Regards, Freddie.
elio
Regular
Regular

Post by elio »

well, you don't build so many factories at a game (5 max)
i would propose you have to finish the building before you can mount it with weapons. (when right click on a factory, put a new button in that menu which opens the designer)

interesting, structures upon structures, so it could be possible to have <offtopic> a platform structure on the water on which you can build defenses </offtopic>, for this topic i'm not a big fan of this idea

btw: i arranged the uv-mesh
Attachments
texture_Cube.png
screen1.jpg
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

I don't think it is a bad idea, but it would unfortunately require a bit of code change.

It could be handled by allowing a player to click on a factory with a truck, and get a menu of construction options for this structure. This way we could move all the structure add-on modules out of the construction menu, also. In addition, it would make it easier to replace one defense turret on top of a wall hardpoint with another.
Deus Siddis
Trained
Trained

Post by Deus Siddis »

Per wrote:In addition, it would make it easier to replace one defense turret on top of a wall hardpoint with another.
Another excellent idea.
elio
Regular
Regular

Post by elio »

here is the first texture preview
Attachments
screen2.jpg
texture.png
fisk0
Trained
Trained

Post by fisk0 »

The idea to be able to construct weapons on top of some buildings sound excellent, especially since factories are a common target for the AI's VTOL attacks, it would be great to construct one or two AA guns on top of them.
Desktop: AMD Athlon X3 440 3.0ghz, 4GB RAM, Radeon HD4200, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Laptop: AMD Athlon X2 QL-64 2.1Ghz, 3GB RAM, Radeon HD3200, Windows Vista Home Basic 32-bit & Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit
elio
Regular
Regular

Post by elio »

and here's it fully textured + teamcolours, without mud, i hope you like it ;)
Attachments
texture.png
screen3.jpg
Zoloom
Trained
Trained

Post by Zoloom »

What an evolution :)

Thanks, i wait this model impatiently.
French helper / Assistant Français (envoyez moi des messages privés si vous cherchez des réponses en français (dans la limite de mes capacités)).

Xfire : zoloom

"Software is like sex, it's better when it's free"