What to do about cheats?

Warzone 2.1.x series. (Unsupported--read only!)
Buginator
Professional
Professional

What to do about cheats?

Post by Buginator »

The problem is that cheating can really screw up your game.

The question is what to do about this?

Mind you, not all 'cheats' are bad, but some of them can cause really serious issues, and while you may not notice them at the time you used said cheat, it may(will) come back to haunt you.

I am not in favor of dropping all the cheats either, since they are useful *IF YOU KNOW HOW TO USE THEM*.  ???

One of the bigger ones is the time cheats.  If you speed up the game too much (Original game had it set so 1.3x was max I believe) you can 'miss' things that will happen in a certain time.  If you stop the timer, then things will not happen, and you will be stuck.
For the first part, I have made a patch that limits the time compression speed to the same values the original game had.  Unless of course you are in debug mode, then you can have the full range of time compression speeds.
Is that sufficient for most people?  Or should we make it impossible to save games after some cheats are activated?

Also people, if you don't like the timer missions, then I suggest you alter your playing style.  The AI isn't that smart, and most everyone can beat it once you research the proper techs.  If you still hate timer missions, then stop playing campaign mode, and play skirmish.  Then you can turtle all you want, with nobody to pester you, except the AI of course!  :P

Another cheat is the level skip.  Usually, this works fine.  HOWEVER, if the (next) mission required you to research something, and you didn't, then game crashes, or your SOL.
Not really sure what to do about this, since again, I use it, but I know when to do this, and when not to (for the most part that is).

The research all or give all cheats.  Again, useful for testing, but can crash the game when you try to build something you shouldn't.
(this is NOT the same as the debug menu building.)
Limit this to ONLY debug mode is my best guess.

Weather cheats.  meh.  All it does it chage from rain/snow/clear.  (And it sucks *way* too much CPU time because of the crappy loop--which will be fixed one of these days  ;))

Fog cheats.  meh.  No real issues I don't think.

Health /energy cheats.  meh,  I don't recall any issues with these.

research cheat (as in speed up, not the one above) -- no issues that I recall.

And the main reason for this is, that we don't need bug reports that are generated from people doing things that screwed up the game.
It just wastes everyones time looking to replicate the matter.

What to do about this is the Question?

-------
Slightly OT, (well, very OT, but what the heck :P), I am curious how many of you guys/gals play with screen shake on?
and it ends here.
doom3r
Regular
Regular

Re: What to do about cheats?

Post by doom3r »

Another problem with "Give all" and the debug menu is the fact that the screen cant display everything. I mean, it is limited to 7-8 page of stuff, so that you cant see them all. A slider would be better then buttons, since you can scroll as much as you need.

Also, it looks like that if you activate the "give all" cheat, CPU players will gain the cheat bonus too. Once, i tried "give all" in a skirmish map just to have some fun. When i got to enemy's base, he got a satellite uplink and a nexus laser. In 5 minutes  :D. And it seems the energy cheat has the same problem...
EvilGuru
Regular
Regular

Post by EvilGuru »

doom3r wrote: Another problem with "Give all" and the debug menu is the fact that the screen cant display everything. I mean, it is limited to 7-8 page of stuff, so that you cant see them all. A slider would be better then buttons, since you can scroll as much as you need.

Also, it looks like that if you activate the "give all" cheat, CPU players will gain the cheat bonus too. Once, i tried "give all" in a skirmish map just to have some fun. When i got to enemy's base, he got a satellite uplink and a nexus laser. In 5 minutes  :D. And it seems the energy cheat has the same problem...
Seems fair to me.

Regards, Freddie.
The Commander
Trained
Trained

Post by The Commander »

With the timer cheat, it should only be inabled when you only have like 1-2 min left on the clock. This is what I allways did to be on the safe side and never had any problems.

Maybe there could be some way to stop the clock only when there is only a few min's left?
Stargate Mod
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

doom3r wrote: Another problem with "Give all" and the debug menu is the fact that the screen cant display everything. I mean, it is limited to 7-8 page of stuff, so that you cant see them all. A slider would be better then buttons, since you can scroll as much as you need.
That shouldn't be the case.  Right now, there is a limit of 200 items.  Once you get past 7 pages worth, then you got 2 new buttons that allows you to scroll more.
How do you know that isn't by design?  ???
If you cheat, might as well allow the poor AI to cheat also, if not, they will file a bug report on this.  :P
and it ends here.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

The Commander wrote: With the timer cheat, it should only be inabled when you only have like 1-2 min left on the clock. This is what I allways did to be on the safe side and never had any problems.

Maybe there could be some way to stop the clock only when there is only a few min's left?
Just which missions are giving you so much problems that you need this?  Would a additional 5-10 mins help?
I guess we could also tack on some mins based on the difficulty setting?
and it ends here.
psychopompos
Trained
Trained

Post by psychopompos »

why not split to to... advanced options & cheats?
things that give no real advantage, weather, fog, silly things, get put in options.(ctrl-shift + backspace ?)
give all, inf power & others left as cheats.
Buginator wrote: Just which missions are giving you so much problems that you need this?  Would a additional 5-10 mins help?
sounds ok.
would be good if campaign you could give option for ai had inf power, it always runs out of units, never seems to replace many of them, and never seems to have that many anyway.
MOTHERBOARD - MSI P7N PLATINUM¦-¦PROCESSOR - C2D E7300 @ 4.00GHZ
MEMORY - 4 Gig (2x2gig) ddr2 1066mhz¦-¦OPERATING SYSTEM - WINDOWS 7 (ULT)
GRAPHICS - BFG GTX 260 OCX (requires ForceWare drivers for good openGL)
doom3r
Regular
Regular

Post by doom3r »

How do you know that isn't by design?

It could be by design, if so that wouldnt be a real "cheat" anymore. It would be something like a debug option.

About the 200 items limit, it looks like the page limit is 8, as i said, but maybe i was thinking about the debug menu for placing structure. Since unplayable structures are included, you cant see the whole list. The same is for the standard Research menu if you use the Give all cheat, not build menu.
The Commander
Trained
Trained

Post by The Commander »

Buginator wrote: Just which missions are giving you so much problems that you need this?  Would a additional 5-10 mins help?
Heh, Just the loading transport mission's that give you about 30min. Im a turtle player  :D
Stargate Mod
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

doom3r wrote:

It could be by design, if so that wouldnt be a real "cheat" anymore. It would be something like a debug option.

About the 200 items limit, it looks like the page limit is 8, as i said, but maybe i was thinking about the debug menu for placing structure. Since unplayable structures are included, you cant see the whole list. The same is for the standard Research menu if you use the Give all cheat, not build menu.
Heh, I was kidding about the cheat.  :P

But on to more important things, are you saying in 2.1 when you do give all, and open build menu, you are still limited to only 7-8 pages of stuff?

You should have these tabs(see pic)... if not, then you found a bug, and I have no idea how you did it. :o
Attachments
scroll.jpg
scroll.jpg (14.46 KiB) Viewed 6448 times
and it ends here.
doom3r
Regular
Regular

Post by doom3r »

Ha, so they implemented it.

Im still using 2.0.10 - because of the text bug in the beta - so i dont have those tabs... looks useful. I remember we talked about this feature in another thread, and developers told it was a good idea. Nice to know they put it in-game
bigape
New user

Post by bigape »

I haven't been able to get ANY of the cheats to work.  Do you no longer need to add -- mod grim.wz to cheat?  I added that to my shortcut after installing the beta and Ctrl-Shift-Backspace doesn't seem to do anything other than reset game speed.

What I am doing wrong?

By the way, I am playing Single Player Campaign in a Window instead of full screen.  Does this matter?
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

bigape wrote: I haven't been able to get ANY of the cheats to work.  Do you no longer need to add -- mod grim.wz to cheat?  I added that to my shortcut after installing the beta and Ctrl-Shift-Backspace doesn't seem to do anything other than reset game speed.

What I am doing wrong?

By the way, I am playing Single Player Campaign in a Window instead of full screen.  Does this matter?
Huh?  What?
The --mod line is for mods only.
The cheat keys have not changed at all, it is the same keystrokes.
Don't forget the --cheat on the command line.
and it ends here.
Verminus
Trained
Trained

Post by Verminus »

Do you actually need --cheat to enable the command line to enable cheats? I never have and the work fine for me... I guess that could be because I compile from source myself...
bigape wrote: I haven't been able to get ANY of the cheats to work.  Do you no longer need to add -- mod grim.wz to cheat?  I added that to my shortcut after installing the beta and Ctrl-Shift-Backspace doesn't seem to do anything other than reset game speed.

What I am doing wrong?

The reason cheats don't work for you is that the enable debug (and the cheats) you press Shift+Backspace, not Ctrl+Shift+Backspace.
Surprised you missed that one buggy ;)