Enable vehicle transport on multiplay/skirmish

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Re: Enable vehicle transport on multiplay/skirmish

Post by Rman Virgil »

Looking down the road, if ever 512 by 512 or 1024 by 1024 maps are made possible, enabling a Tank Transport - LZ scheme will be central to the mix for success, I believe. But getting back to the present reality of 256 x 256 .... balancing them is really not that big a deal & breaking the save game format is a worthwhile sacrifice I also hold, to be able to create fresh game play maps. If you don't like em there's over a 1000 old school maps you can stick to already - & no doubt more cookie-cutter variants forthcoming. Let us that wanna explore, create and play new ways get on with it. :D

- RV :ninja:
WarTux
Trained
Trained

Post by WarTux »

Rman Virgil wrote:Looking down the road, if ever 512 by 512 or 1024 by 1024 maps are made possible, enabling a Tank Transport - LZ scheme will be central to the mix for success, I believe.
+1. Tank transports will add a whole new dimension to gameplay (possible "mini-campaign," anyone?) and they would not be hard to balance, especially if we go with the "buildable LZ" scheme.
Warzone nicknames: WarTux[BDC], ChuckNorris-BDC, DeathStar, etc.
Part of the Black Dragon Clan; apply today, we welcome most! :3
On the Warzone IRC channel you can find me hanging out with the BDC dudes or messing with the bot.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Rman Virgil wrote:Looking down the road, if ever 512 by 512 or 1024 by 1024 maps are made possible, enabling a Tank Transport - LZ scheme will be central to the mix for success, I believe.
WarTux wrote:+1. Tank transports will add a whole new dimension to gameplay (possible "mini-campaign," anyone?) and they would not be hard to balance, especially if we go with the "buildable LZ" scheme.
Agreed. :D

With this Tank Transport-LZ Scheme and 512 x 512 maps you could readily build at least 10 spine-tingling missions on one map. Whoever said such big maps would be boring has failed in the imagination department, IMO. Plus Naval could really shine on such map sizes.

JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

Rman Virgil wrote:Plus Naval could really shine on such map sizes.
Epic battles.
Rman Virgil wrote:BTW... the Tank Transport is hard-coded out of MP..... by this dev project.... In Pumpkin's Retail release it was not hard-coded out so you could make Mods with it.
Just curious, what was the reason to hard-code it out?

Regards,
JDW
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
Roux Le Corps
Regular
Regular

Post by Roux Le Corps »

Lemmie answer "balance" and prob to have more room to code.
Crymson
Trained
Trained

Post by Crymson »

Rman Virgil wrote:.
j0shdrunk0nwar wrote:... :o
Yea.... that's what I was referring to looking at in your filed ticket.

Some of those are hard-coded limits. Hardware does not matter. But they should not crash the game. They are simply removed upon load. That's how v.2.3.x handles it.

I'll have to look at the suggested double-placements. That's an easy mistake to do in flaME. But still.... that should not crash the game.... and does not in v.2.3.x. It is simply not placed on load.

BTW... the Tank Transport is hard-coded out of MP..... by this dev project.... In Pumpkin's Retail release it was not hard-coded out so you could make Mods with it.

- RV
Rman, are you sure about this?
There must have been a reason for this. :hmm:
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

Crymson wrote:
Rman Virgil wrote:.
Yea.... that's what I was referring to looking at in your filed ticket.

Some of those are hard-coded limits. Hardware does not matter. But they should not crash the game. They are simply removed upon load. That's how v.2.3.x handles it.

I'll have to look at the suggested double-placements. That's an easy mistake to do in flaME. But still.... that should not crash the game.... and does not in v.2.3.x. It is simply not placed on load.

BTW... the Tank Transport is hard-coded out of MP..... by this dev project.... In Pumpkin's Retail release it was not hard-coded out so you could make Mods with it.

- RV
Rman, are you sure about this?
There must have been a reason for this. :hmm:
If you're asking about the crash in my trunk version. Well, this is most likely a bug in my graphics driver, a bug report has been filed, and it's being looked into. RV's map is working great in 2.3.x version

And if you're asking about the transports being hard-coded out, well, I'm waiting for an answer from him on that too.
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Well guys, I don't know the reasons why they are locked out in the current binary - that's for one of the devs to speak to.

I have a v.1.10 binary where they are not. That's all I can speak to other than my suggestions here for unlocking them to be used in mods and as part of an LZ balancing GPM scheme described.

Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

j0shdrunk0nwar wrote:Just curious, what was the reason to hard-code it out?
It happened before I became a developer, but if I had to guess I'd say it was because it simplified some areas of the code.
Roux Le Corps wrote:Lemmie answer "balance" and prob to have more room to code.
It definitely wasn't for balance reasons.

Heck, I can say that officially.

It wasn't for balance reasons.
Roux Le Corps
Regular
Regular

Post by Roux Le Corps »

~sits quietly in my place~ ^_^
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

then why?? :) and can it be put back in?? :)
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

lav_coyote25 wrote:then why?? :) and can it be put back in?? :)
Yeah! Make it moddable!
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Yes, I am planning on putting it back in the next time I have time.
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

Zarel wrote:Yes, I am planning on putting it back in the next time I have time.
Right...
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

Zarel wrote:
Yes, I am planning on putting it back in the next time I have time.
Request to project staff: Please update the FPI to avoid duplicate requests. :wink:
-- Ambrose Bierce