Models by Jorzi (AR)

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Re: Models by Jorzi (AR)

Post by lav_coyote25 »

MaNGusT wrote:
CyclonatorZ wrote:Okay, but how do I get mods to work with the trunk. I tried putting it into the mod file in the trunk folder, but I seem to only be able to open it with my current version of the standard Warzone exe. (Windows seems to make no distinction between that and the trunk exe).
damn... use your brain... http://guide.wz2100.net/faq#installmod
be nice... not everyone is fluent in computers as some... been in the tutorials for the last ...geez, 10 years or so... patience is required. not frustration. :)
CyclonatorZ
Trained
Trained

Post by CyclonatorZ »

lav_coyote25 wrote: be nice... not everyone is fluent in computers as some... been in the tutorials for the last ...geez, 10 years or so... patience is required. not frustration. :)
Thank you. I'd also like to add that I'm not an especially frequent player of Warzone like some people here, and I almost never use the trunk build, so this is relatively unknown ground for me. So, if you see some general cluelessness when it comes to things like mods, don't be surprised. :wink:

Edit: just got the mod working and... man oh man does this look good! Sure, the roughness of the polygons is a bit more evident with the new textures and models, and the framerate seems lower - but it is still a massive improvement over the archaic designs the original game used. My only problem is with the new medium transport: honestly, I don't understand why its such a major deviation from the original, when most of the other AR models were designed to closely resemble the original ones. I honestly quite liked the turtle-ish transport, even if it is rather out there in terms of realism, and I'd rather see Art Revolution improve the old design rather than just scrap it entirely.
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

@Cyclonatorz, you are right, it was never supposed to replace the old transport, but meant as an intermediate design, like the cyborg transport, but capable of taking a few tanks also (maybe only light tanks...)
The medium transport isn't strictly an AR model either. I made it because of a request for a new transport unit
I only put it there to test it out since it's much easier to replace existing units than to make new ones, and this is only an experimental mod.
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
CyclonatorZ
Trained
Trained

Post by CyclonatorZ »

Ah, okay. However, it still doesn't look much like either the large transport or the small cyborg transport, so I'm glad to hear its still a work in progress.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

CyclonatorZ wrote:Ah, okay. However, it still doesn't look much like either the large transport or the small cyborg transport, so I'm glad to hear its still a work in progress.
Let's see... other than the common vtol propulsion, the cyborg transport looks nothing like the large campaign transport (or visa versa) therefore the medium transport should look like one or the other stock transports - just because. Is that an accurate interpretation ?

(Btw, as a matter of fact, only the large campaign transport is retail stock, the cyborg transport was suggested to Pumpkin Studios by a fan of the game 3 months after retail release & they liked the idea so they quickly put in the game some 4 weeks after it was proposed - the fan's nick was Toricat; female, military, officer.)
CyclonatorZ
Trained
Trained

Post by CyclonatorZ »

Rman Virgil wrote: Let's see... other than the common vtol propulsion, the cyborg transport looks nothing like the large campaign transport (or visa versa) therefore the medium transport should look like one or the other stock transports - just because. Is that an accurate interpretation ?
I dunno, I always thought they looked quite a lot alike. At the very least, they share more in common design wise than the current medium transport body shares with either of them. Both of those models have large, boxy bodies with small wings, while neither have double tails or wing surfaces that meld right into the rear. As it stands, the medium transport model looks a lot more like a gunship from Halo or something to me. But that's just my take on it.
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

The medium transport is indeed a deviation from the original style. Since I didn't really have any reference at all, I took several liberties with the style, trying out some new ideas etc...

I'm uploading the latest version of the mod (been playing around with the shaders quite a bit) to my friend's server, since it is too big to put as an attachment.
Link: http://cyancore.net/goran/shadermod.wz
I'll try to keep the link up-to-date as I make changes and export new models.
ImageImage
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Rman Virgil wrote: Let's see... other than the common vtol propulsion, the cyborg transport looks nothing like the large campaign transport (or visa versa) therefore the medium transport should look like one or the other stock transports - just because. Is that an accurate interpretation ?
CyclonatorZ wrote:I dunno, I always thought they looked quite a lot alike. At the very least, they share more in common design wise than the current medium transport body shares with either of them. Both of those models have large, boxy bodies with small wings, while neither have double tails or wing surfaces that meld right into the rear. As it stands, the medium transport model looks a lot more like a gunship from Halo or something to me. But that's just my take on it.
Well, I'm going by basic geometries when I compare the Cyborg Transport & the original Campaign Transport. I agree with the "box-like" description of the Cyborg Transport but we part company with applying that term to the Campaign Transport which i perceive as clearly ellipsoid. (A rather pronounced deviation, I dare say, in basic geometry.)

As for the Halo connection with the medium transport - I don't see it. What I do see is Jorzi's inspiration from good ol' Mother Nature - the manta ray. :)

I also question the assumption that there must be an overwhelmingly obvious visual resemblance between the 3.

I am certain when the Osprey was on the drawing board that one of the design prerequisites was NOT that it look like a HERC - form serves function & evolution is breathtaking in the endless forms that can serve like functions.

That said, I also believe there are clear limits to how far you should go in the name of realism in a game like WZ when the baseline reality is fun & the coolness factor or as Bernard Suits provocatively expressed it -

"Playing a game is a voluntary effort to overcome unnecessary obstacles." :wink:

Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Jorzi wrote:Link: http://cyancore.net/goran/shadermod.wz
I'll try to keep the link up-to-date as I make changes and export new models.
Updated the link with my newest version:
-The normal map is now properly shaded, after lots and lots of frustration. Not only do warzone's coordinate systems have inconsistent axis directions, they are left-handed as well :x (no support for tangent space though, since it requires further changes to the model format)
-I have successfully exported a lot of my stuff. All tracks and hovers as well as heavy wheels, flamer, minipod, MRA, bunker buster, bombard, sensor, repair turret and mg bunker.
-Added the AR bodies by mangust&olrox as well. No normalmapping on these, though.

Known issues:
-Didn't find the right file to replace for the repair turret base, so only the crane is replaced atm.
-Medium tracks are loading the wrong normal map/using wrong coordinates. I haven't yet found out what's wrong.
If you try out this mod, please let me know if it impacts your performance and if you have any thoughts on the new shading :)
ImageImage
Safety0ff
Trained
Trained

Post by Safety0ff »

Jorzi wrote:-The normal map is now properly shaded, after lots and lots of frustration. Not only do warzone's coordinate systems have inconsistent axis directions, they are left-handed as well :x (no support for tangent space though, since it requires further changes to the model format)
Sound's like someone is getting a taste of what we deal with. :lol2:

Have you thought of simply using the normal map texture as a specular map to show the effect specular mapping adds? Or is the current lighting insufficient for this purpose?
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Forgot to mention, I use the diffuse map for controlling specularity and it works really nice :) (for metallic surfaces, that is)
I also hardcoded the specularity parameters, although that isn't too hard to change :P
Check it out, it really brings out the bumpmapping much better.
Attachments
wz2100-20110607_193952-Sk-Rush-T3.jpg
ImageImage
Safety0ff
Trained
Trained

Post by Safety0ff »

Are all those the low poly versions?

Btw, what are the usual target polygon numbers ? (per model and per component type).
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

They're all lowpoly (the .pie format doesn't support 100k triangles so it's not like i could get any hipoly models ingame if that's what you ask...)
I usually aim for around 100 tris per turret, 200-250 tris for propulsion and around 200 for bodies, although I of course use as few as I can get away with.
Towers, walls and bunkers shouldn't be much of a problem, since they are fairly polygonal anyway...
ImageImage
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Really nice :-)
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular