DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Re: Re-done PIEs

Post by DevUrandom »

Proof attached.
Attachments
wz2100_shot_150.jpg
Last edited by DevUrandom on 13 Apr 2007, 21:48, edited 1 time in total.
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

very nice. with that, the entire set of effects textures can be redone, or at least tweaked, so that the aliasing is minimized.
Giel
Regular
Regular

Post by Giel »

kage wrote: very nice. with that, the entire set of effects textures can be redone, or at least tweaked, so that the aliasing is minimized.
Hmm, sounds like a poor mans Anti-Aliasing system, but might actually work out quite well.
"First make sure it works good, only then make it look good." -- Giel
Want to tip/donate? bitcoin:1EaqP4ZPMvUffazTxm7stoduhprzeabeFh
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

Giel wrote: Hmm, sounds like a poor mans Anti-Aliasing system, but might actually work out quite well.
well, keep in mind that very few gfx cards will smooth out the aliasing transparent textures (almost all of them just anti-alias polygons), so for almost everyone, if you have textures in which a pixel is either fully opaque or fully transparent, it'll look very aliased, though if you smooth it out by hand with partial transparency, it'll tend to look a lot better than a good gfx card could have done, and in a much less resource-intensive way.
cegrocks
Greenhorn

Post by cegrocks »

Ok I have seen my name all over the place here. What am I needed for? Texturing?
ImageImage
Hatsjoe
Trained
Trained

Post by Hatsjoe »

cegrocks wrote: Ok I have seen my name all over the place here. What am I needed for? Texturing?
Yes: remake all the original textures in a 1024*1024 resolution instead of the 256*256  :D

That should help a lot.
Last edited by Hatsjoe on 18 Apr 2007, 21:29, edited 1 time in total.
Kyor
Trained
Trained

Post by Kyor »

That shall be great, only the tiles has a decent resolution.
Computerboy319
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Computerboy319 »

Problem is, texpage support only goes up to 256x256...you could have a 1024 but it won't read anything beyond 256. HOWEVER...this doesn't mean you can't have higher resolution textures. Textured surfaces are merely taken from part of a 256x256 texpage...the part you take can have as many or as few pixels as you like on the same size of surface. And, Warzone supports a limit of 62 texpages IIRC, yet only 25 are currently in use. So, in theory, resolution could be globally increased by a factor of 2.5 if we used every pixel on every texpage.

Sorry if I haven't put many updates here lately, but I've been busy with a Blender project for tech class. I promise, the new light cannon is coming.
Hatsjoe
Trained
Trained

Post by Hatsjoe »

Computerboy319 wrote: Problem is, texpage support only goes up to 256x256...you could have a 1024 but it won't read anything beyond 256. HOWEVER...this doesn't mean you can't have higher resolution textures. Textured surfaces are merely taken from part of a 256x256 texpage...the part you take can have as many or as few pixels as you like on the same size of surface. And, Warzone supports a limit of 62 texpages IIRC, yet only 25 are currently in use. So, in theory, resolution could be globally increased by a factor of 2.5 if we used every pixel on every texpage.

Sorry if I haven't put many updates here lately, but I've been busy with a Blender project for tech class. I promise, the new light cannon is coming.
Yeah i know. It wasn't really a serious request. And if the textyures would be redone by anyone, i would favour a seperate texture for each model. Right now that's impossible because of the games limits but i wonder whether or not someone one could up those limits.

1) 62 texpages max
2) 256*256 max

If just one of those could be adjusted our texturing problems would be over. (Ofcourse there still has to be someone who could create all those high res textures.)
Watermelon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Watermelon »

2.0.x can support 1024x1024 or even 2048x2048 textures,though simply scaling up the texture wont make it look any better.

the pages for droid hubs and weapons are already 512x512,and the rest are 256x256 iirc.

btw,I just found a cheap and effective way of improving warzone texture quality:
To encircle low bit colors with 'trim',a 1024x1024 version of droid hub page with manually added 'trim':

does it look better than the original one without 'trim'?
tasks postponed until the trunk is relatively stable again.
Hatsjoe
Trained
Trained

Post by Hatsjoe »

Whoohoooooo, i didn't know that it did :p
one question: Can warzone also make use of other resolution with pixel ratios other then 1/1 if only certain sizes of textures are possible, could someone plz post me a list ? Or can someone clearly explain what's possible and what not? :p

About your textures:

It looks more determined, shows more character just looks kinda cool. but that's just a first impression. When really thinking about it the used textures don't look really realistic. the trimmed parts don't really have a lot of value. I think that in the future we have to let go of the ida to try improve the old textures. We're just gonna need new ones. As you said , scaling them up won't increase quality at all so new ones should be created manually. You can scale em up  and run them through some filters to make them look a bit better but that s not gonna make them look really good. So i m hoping that in the near future, someone talented comes along who wants to start redoing them all from scratch. and that someone can edit the pie slicer source to support the same formats warzone does :)
Last edited by Hatsjoe on 19 Apr 2007, 14:25, edited 1 time in total.
Watermelon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Watermelon »

Hatsjoe wrote: Whoohoooooo, i didn't know that it did :p
one question: Can warzone also make use of other resolution with pixel ratios other then 1/1 if only certain sizes of textures are possible, could someone plz post me a list ? Or can someone clearly explain what's possible and what not? :p

About your textures:

It looks more determined, shows more character just looks kinda cool. but that's just a first impression. When really thinking about it the used textures don't look really realistic. the trimmed parts don't really have a lot of value. I think that in the future we have to let go of the ida to try improve the old textures. We're just gonna need new ones. As you said , scaling them up won't increase quality at all so new ones should be created manually. You can scale em up  and run them through some filters to make them look a bit better but that s not gonna make them look really good. So i m hoping that in the near future, someone talented comes along who wants to start redoing them all from scratch. and that someone can edit the pie slicer source to support the same formats warzone does :)
yes wz supports non 1:1 ratio textures,the terrain tilesets textures are working examples.

recreating the textures will break all pie texture mappings...and mapping textures in pieslicer is such a tough task...just hope we can find a good texture in the near future..
tasks postponed until the trunk is relatively stable again.
Hatsjoe
Trained
Trained

Post by Hatsjoe »

Watermelon wrote: yes wz supports non 1:1 ratio textures,the terrain tilesets textures are working examples.

recreating the textures will break all pie texture mappings...and mapping textures in pieslicer is such a tough task...just hope we can find a good texture in the near future..
That's right but: asuming we first upscale the textures to let's say 1024*1024 and then just add detail, improve quality,... We would just need to write a simple script which could automatically alter the texture locations of the pie models. atleast if we just redo theoriginals and don't add rhings or create completely new things. lets say a texture has x and y coordinates and x=0, y=0 is at the top left corner. A triangular polygon is textured with its points at 0,0   2,4 and 5,6 when using 256*256 texture maps. Now if we replace that by a 1024*1024 texture map and if the textures for the polygon are relatively still at the same location (but with more detail this time) we should just convert the pie file's point locations to 0,0    8,16 and 20,24 which is 4 times the original value. I'm sure someone here could simply write a simple script to do just that .This way the textures would be better quality but no work should be spend on retexturing. :)

I ve just edited this texpage :
[img]http://lab.wz2100.net/fmvs/Concept%20Ar ... s-soft.png[/img]
I've increased the resolution to 1024*1024 and have completely reworked the explosion frames.
Now can someone test this for me in warzone plz? Because i don't know what the outer semi transparant smoke will look like in wz. And i don't really know how to import it into 2.0.x. Just remember: upscale the texture location by a factor of 4 in the pie file or you'll get some really strange results. Plz post screenshots here :)
Last edited by Hatsjoe on 19 Apr 2007, 15:49, edited 1 time in total.
Giel
Regular
Regular

Post by Giel »

Hatsjoe wrote: I've increased the resolution to 1024*1024 and have completely reworked the explosion frames.
Now can someone test this for me in warzone plz?
If you rename it to page-19-fx`s-hard.png you should be able to use it without modifying any PIE files at all (Warzone automagically scales it).

I've made a whole bunch of screenshots with your new texture, uploading them to my webspace now. (I made almost 400, but removed about 300 => 70 pieces left, and as you might guess only the last number is accurate).

EDIT: Screenshots (with above effects texture) here: http://wz.mortis.eu/screenshots/
Last edited by Giel on 20 Apr 2007, 01:53, edited 1 time in total.
"First make sure it works good, only then make it look good." -- Giel
Want to tip/donate? bitcoin:1EaqP4ZPMvUffazTxm7stoduhprzeabeFh
Computerboy319
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Computerboy319 »

Well...we shouldn't have to worry about the new textures (assigning them, that is) if we just use my models. Since I have to go through and re-assign every texture anyway...
Last edited by Computerboy319 on 20 Apr 2007, 00:31, edited 1 time in total.