Warzone 2100: Contingency (Beta now released)

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
Shadow Wolf TJC
Regular
Regular

Re: Warzone 2100: Contingency (Beta now released)

Post by Shadow Wolf TJC »

aubergine wrote:IIRC I found a way to resolve that issue but I can't remember off the top of my head what it was - if you look in most recent ver of Enhanced SitRep mod, it's in there triggered by eventDestroyed().
I know, but the thing about that code is that I'm afraid that, if a droid or structure is "destroyed by enemy fire" while it's being recycled or demolished, the script will "think" that it has been recycled or demolished, when in fact, it wasn't. Unfortunately, I'm afraid that we'll need a eventUnitRecycled() and eventStructureDemolished() function (with eventDestroyed() modified to exclude cases where objects are removed from the map via recycling/demolition) in order for this problem to be resolved.
Also, for 3.2 compatibility remember that eventDestroyed() will be getting called for everything that gets destroyed including enemy units.
Already dealt with, :wink: though I do wonder if eventAttacked() could be called whenever another player's units come under attack. I'd then have a use for the new "allyattacked.ogg" file that I made. :3
Creator of Warzone 2100: Contingency!
Founder of Wikizone 2100: http://wikizone2100.wikia.com/wiki/Wikizone_2100
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Shadow Wolf TJC wrote:Unfortunately, I'm afraid that we'll need a eventUnitRecycled() and eventStructureDemolished() function (with eventDestroyed() modified to exclude cases where objects are removed from the map via recycling/demolition) in order for this problem to be resolved.
I've added eventObjectRecycled(object) now for reporting recycling and demolishing. However, changing eventDestroyed to fire only at specificed points would break backwards compatibility and probably open up all kinds of weird holes because objects disappear for reasons not considered. I'm a bit unsure, but I rather think we should add enough supplemental events to make it unnecessary, and then deprecate it one day.
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

<edited>

Having eventDestroyed() exclusive to objects removed due to attack (or fire damage post-attack) would be ideal.

There are already events for everything else now. We don't need an event for removeObject() as we know what the outcome of that function will be.

If there are other weird reasons for object removal (that don't yet have events) is there a way to get a list of what those reasons could be?
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Trying to come up with a list of scenarios in which objects might be destroyed, other than damage and recycling/demolish: Hardpoint built on top of a wall, automatic deconstruction of a free building that is left unfinished, electronic warfare (has its own event), campaign mission code (lots), baba burning to death, baba run over (those poor babas!), transport leaving map, player leaves the game, transporter dies and we are cargo, and giving away a droid in MP (has its own event). Though I probably haven't found them all.

At least some of the above should probably be treated as if died by means of weapon damage.
Shadow Wolf TJC
Regular
Regular

Per wrote:I've added eventObjectRecycled(object) now for reporting recycling and demolishing.
Thanks Per. That should allow me to put "pcv340.ogg" to good use whenever a structure is recycled, as well as whatever I can find/create for whenever a unit is recycled. :D
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
Shadow Wolf TJC
Regular
Regular

While the next version of Contingency is not out yet, here's a sneak peek at how rules.js will probably be structured from here-on out:
New Rules Format.wz
(17.15 KiB) Downloaded 336 times
Basically, this is Contingency 0.7.8's rules.js file converted into an include-driven format to allow other mods to more easily modify rules.js, or any of the many .inc files that it'll use, with a much reduced chance that these mods will become incompatable with future versions of Contingency.
Originway
Trained
Trained

Post by Originway »

are you doing any performance testing on the new version?
Shadow Wolf TJC
Regular
Regular

I've been checking through my logs each time I playtest a new build of Contingency or NullBotSW to find scripting errors that may not be obvious. This has allowed me to identify and quickly locate things that need fixing.
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Post by Goth Zagog-Thou »

ShadowWolf, if you've been doing work on porting, go ahead and keep doing it. Likely yours will be finished before mine will be.
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

I've been spending many hours skirmishing with Contingency mod over the last few weeks. (Note: My comments here relating to Skirmish mode, not MP).

Generally I love it. The new rocket/missile arrays are just a sight to behold. In some games the skies are literally filled with projectiles going in all directions with mass carnage everywhere on the map. Being able to see where oil resources are is also a great improvement, that works much better than I imagined it would without detracting from gameplay. The creativity in the vast range of weapons and techs is nothing short of spectacular.

But...

I'm finding it difficult to work out which weapons to use. Would it be possible to create a list of the different weapon lines, what turrets they contain and what they are generally best suited to? In particular, I struggle to work out how to get better AA weapons - I noticed that some rockets (or missiles?) were able to hit VTOLs but can never quite work out which ones, only getting them by fluke. Also, I'm not sure which of the structure foundations are best - there seems to be different types of bunker for example, and I can't determine which to use.

There's also a strange sense of separation from the battlefield. I can quite easily get to a point where with relatively few defences the game starts to feel like it's on autopilot. While I love watching my defences fill the skies with projectiles, after a while it feels like the only thing I'm doing is keeping labs busy researching stuff. I'm not sure how to tackle this issue, mainly because....

Currently the AI is fairly basic and I'm not having too much trouble defeating it. Once my defences are up, it just can't get past. In skirmish mode, defences seem OP, but I rather suspect that the real issue is that the AI isn't making use of mortars and sensors enough to counter my defences. Where the AI does excel is in its macro - it can easily manage 10 labs and 30 factories of various kinds, keeping them busy at all times if it has the power income to do so. If the AI suddenly got better at countering my defences, there's no way I could keep up with stuff on the battle field and at the same time manage all those labs and factories. Again, not sure how to solve that.

In the late game, it feels like the vast choice of weapons suddenly shrinks to just lasers and gauss stuff. Much-loved weapons such as Vindicator AA suddenly disappear and I'm left with, from my perspective, less effective AA based on lasers and gauss. I find even in the very late game that my remaining vindicators are still vastly more effective (and pleasing to the eye) than their laser/gauss replacements.

I'm also struggling with the vast lists of techs and structures. Scrolling through the vast lists of things becomes very time consuming. In particular, if I have an AI ally, it will research most structure foundations (bunker, tower, etc...) so I end up with the same weapon listed multiple times but on different foundations. Also, eventually the AI will research all of them when it runs out of other stuff to research, making my structure list nightmarishly long when I go to build something. I realise this can't really be solved until we get the ability to customise the in-game UI, and possibly the ability to save structure templates, etc., but was wondering how others cope with the long lists of things?

I'll just reiterate: I love this mod. Please don't take anything I've said above as opposition to it.
Shadow Wolf TJC
Regular
Regular

aubergine wrote:I've been spending many hours skirmishing with Contingency mod over the last few weeks. (Note: My comments here relating to Skirmish mode, not MP).

Generally I love it. The new rocket/missile arrays are just a sight to behold. In some games the skies are literally filled with projectiles going in all directions with mass carnage everywhere on the map. Being able to see where oil resources are is also a great improvement, that works much better than I imagined it would without detracting from gameplay. The creativity in the vast range of weapons and techs is nothing short of spectacular.
Thanks. I was aiming for a diverse range of playstyles when developing Contingency's weapon lines.
But...

I'm finding it difficult to work out which weapons to use. Would it be possible to create a list of the different weapon lines, what turrets they contain and what they are generally best suited to?
I'll probably want to modify the title post to give my personal opinions on each of the weapon lines, as well as what kinds of playstyles I believe would work best for them.

Edit: Done. Check out the Tips and Tricks section on the title post, or rather, below that. :wink:
In particular, I struggle to work out how to get better AA weapons - I noticed that some rockets (or missiles?) were able to hit VTOLs but can never quite work out which ones, only getting them by fluke. Also, I'm not sure which of the structure foundations are best - there seems to be different types of bunker for example, and I can't determine which to use.
Well, as I mentiuoned before, Machinegun Cyborgs are one of the earliest available anti-air capable units in Contingency, though actually, quite alot of Cyborgs, including every Cyborg from the Machinegun and Laser lines, as well as Blunderbuss/Scattershot and Minipod/Assault Pod/Erinyes Cyborgs, are all capable of shooting down VTOLs as well as taking on ground forces. Likewise, Machinegun and Laser VTOLs, and Blunderbuss/Scattershot and Minipod/Assault Pod/Erinyes VTOLs can take on both ground and air forces.

However, when it comes to vehicle and structure-mounted weapons that can shoot down VTOLs, only the Minipod (and its more advanced versions) is capable of taking out both ground and air units. Keep in mind though that there are many dedicated AA weapons, such as the Tornado, Stormbringer, and Sunburst, that tend to perform better in the AA role than the more versatile Cyborgs, especially when it comes to range (although the Rockets line also has dedicated AA Cyborgs and VTOLs).
There's also a strange sense of separation from the battlefield. I can quite easily get to a point where with relatively few defences the game starts to feel like it's on autopilot. While I love watching my defences fill the skies with projectiles, after a while it feels like the only thing I'm doing is keeping labs busy researching stuff. I'm not sure how to tackle this issue, mainly because....
I believe that I said it before, but I drew quite a bit of inspiration from Supreme Commander, which I believe is one of those RTS games that tend to emphasize macromanagement over micromanagement.
Currently the AI is fairly basic and I'm not having too much trouble defeating it. Once my defences are up, it just can't get past. In skirmish mode, defences seem OP, but I rather suspect that the real issue is that the AI isn't making use of mortars and sensors enough to counter my defences. Where the AI does excel is in its macro - it can easily manage 10 labs and 30 factories of various kinds, keeping them busy at all times if it has the power income to do so. If the AI suddenly got better at countering my defences, there's no way I could keep up with stuff on the battle field and at the same time manage all those labs and factories. Again, not sure how to solve that.
You're talking about the version of NullBot that's currently being bundled with Contingency, right? From my observations, it doesn't seem to use long-range artillery as effectively as it should. Sure, it builds them, but it doesn't seem to bother with using counter-battery radar to take out enemy artillery.

What about NullBotSW version 0.4? It already counters enemy artillery well thanks to smart use of CB radar (although I could improve upon it a bit further by having it start building artillery tanks and assigning them to a new artillery group). It also uses EMP Mortars to support its forces.
In the late game, it feels like the vast choice of weapons suddenly shrinks to just lasers and gauss stuff. Much-loved weapons such as Vindicator AA suddenly disappear and I'm left with, from my perspective, less effective AA based on lasers and gauss. I find even in the very late game that my remaining vindicators are still vastly more effective (and pleasing to the eye) than their laser/gauss replacements.
This is not a new issue:
Shadow Wolf TJC wrote:- Whenever players research everything, several structures (prior to version 0.5.1, these were mostly fortresses and firebases) become unavailable due to limits on how many structures appear on the construction menu.
Sadly, I don't think that I'm able to fix this without modifying the base game itself.
I'm also struggling with the vast lists of techs and structures. Scrolling through the vast lists of things becomes very time consuming. In particular, if I have an AI ally, it will research most structure foundations (bunker, tower, etc...) so I end up with the same weapon listed multiple times but on different foundations. Also, eventually the AI will research all of them when it runs out of other stuff to research, making my structure list nightmarishly long when I go to build something. I realise this can't really be solved until we get the ability to customise the in-game UI, and possibly the ability to save structure templates, etc., but was wondering how others cope with the long lists of things?
I've recently started looking into finding a way to list defensive structure researches after all other researches, but I don't know how Warzone 2100 orders its research lists.
I'll just reiterate: I love this mod. Please don't take anything I've said above as opposition to it.
And thanks for the comments and constructive criticism. Glad that you're enjoying this mod. :D
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

Super transport only allows cyborgs onboard.

In later stages of game, nullbots seem to stop building trucks.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Hmm. Probably truck turret gets obsolete?
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

Yup, I assume it's one of the final truck turrets and the script doesn't have it in the array listing those components.