maps by NoQ

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
Fastdeath
Trained
Trained

Re: maps by NoQ

Post by Fastdeath »

Just played Abandoned with tmp, Perseus and ibo. Its a very nice one, Good to defend but no chance to turtle, not to much water and need hovers to get every oil. Good for tactics.

I give it a 4 of 5
Nightly builds available here see buildbot for more infos about them
Lobby Server: here and here
SharpFlame the new WZ Map Editor
kracker
Trained
Trained

Post by kracker »

Nice map... however, one of the oil's in the water isn't visible in the water :) (in master)
Attachments
wz2100-20110721_082228-Abandoned-T1.jpg
Error: Keyboard not found. Press any key to continue.
~Co-Founder of the clan BDC.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

kracker, could you report this one as a master bug? 'cause i'm currently having troubles with master due to #2828
Fastdeath wrote:I give it a 4 of 5
No not again :lol2:
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

8c-RushHour

2x2x2x2 here.

The middle is pretty special. There are 5 oils here, 4 of which can be targeted from the middle, but cannot be easily accessed from there. So controlling the middle gives you just a few extra oil, but completely turtling in your bases will actually give your enemy much more extra oils. There are also 8 oil drums in the middle, accessible only by tanks; 4 of the middle oils are also blocked.

Apart from this, you're having 7 oils per player on the initial highground, and 4 hover-only oils on an island.
Attachments
RushHour.png
RushHour.png (21.56 KiB) Viewed 9852 times
8c-RushHour.wz
v1.0
(51.53 KiB) Downloaded 664 times
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Yet another 1vs1 map experiment.

2c-Serenity

Apart from 8 oils you can easily protect, there are two packs of two oils located in the two far angles of the map; and these packs are almost symmetric, so you can't predict which one will be prefered by your opponent. Even though they are in the middle, you can't truck rush them, because you will allow your opponent to strike through the middle. You can try turtling in your main base, having 8 oils against 12 (which isn't too bad), but 2 of your oils will be harassed from the central highground, and you will vulnerable to hoverstrikes through the sea. This map is pretty small (rush distance 1:10), but rushing is hard, because your opponent can counterattack you via a different route, and also because paths are pretty narrow (thus, the defender has formation advantage).

Anyway, i have no idea how this map will be played (:
Attachments
Serenity.png
Serenity.png (16.08 KiB) Viewed 9809 times
2c-Serenity.wz
v1.0
(23.34 KiB) Downloaded 526 times
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

Hello NoQ (:

Very very nice (: it is amazing how many new patterns we can create and still there will be something new (:

I dont have time to check in flame as I already sleeping (; but I have a question :)

Did you rotate top versus bottom ?? or you did four separate squares two of which are the same ?? and angled them opposite ?? (:

I hope you know what I mean :) ok a diagram (:

Was it

and rotated into

or did you make

1 and 2 separately and then rotate ?? into opposite corners (: damn I am too slepy but I think the first is the answer (:
I see great advancement into rotating here and I will observe your last few maps to advance myself too (:

(: <-------- have you noticed anti smyleys ?? It was so hart to make them (;

Bye (:
“Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.” - V

"Mark my words boy, Mark them well, I have survived your predecessors and I will survive you." - Merovingian

Regards - Mero
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Did you rotate top versus bottom ??
Now that's a good question. FlaME still doesn't have any button to make this sort of symmetry. Of course, you can combine rotating and flipping to achieve it, but you still can't make a diagonal selection. I already ran into this when i was making 8c-Source, which is actually 8-fold-symmetric. But this time i decided to keep the symmetry only in heightmap and cliff map and make the textures arbitrary asymmetric (i guess it's some sort of Mysteryem's dream).
it is amazing how many new patterns we can create and still there will be something new (:
mmm yeah ... i was mostly thinking about different starcraft maps this time; many of them have this sort of layout, with two equally tasty expansions at the angles.
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Post by Goth Zagog-Thou »

Nice job, NoQ. I'm enjoying your maps very much. RushHour is an interesting play if you go free-for-all and don't do teams. Serenity is also a good play -- especially if the Scavengers rush you.

Thanks for your efforts.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Ohmy ... you are playing them in skirmish and you like them? :o
That certainly wasn't intended :D Anyway, thank you (:
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Post by Goth Zagog-Thou »

Give serenity a try on Hard mode in skirmish mode with the scavengers turned on. You're in for a challenge. :D
b1m2n3
Greenhorn

Post by b1m2n3 »

I liked 8c-RushHour like most your maps. I only play with AI, since my hardware is so bad I'd have a disadvantage in any real contest anyway (in fact, it often doesn't even get around to do all the pathfinding; and from what I read I probably cannot use Master)

Anyway, some feedback: The buildings in the center are a bit irritating; I expected units to be able to go over them once crashed. It makes up for a large "dead space" there. In particular since buildings sometimes also block VTOL. Plus it would make attacking the 4 center oils slightly easier, in particular for AI.

The AIs didn't really seem to "get" the map. They gave me a hard time at the beginning to capture the center, but after that they pretty much were cannon fodder. My team AI was able to defeat on of the other AI teams after I had captured and fortified the center, and pretty much weakened one of the other teams so I could overrun it. I wonder if there is a way to help the AIs a bit with this map (such as giving them artillery placement hints? is there any such thing?) None of the AIs seemed to go for VTOLs much, too. There were some, but I was able to setup air defense and then they stopped coming in.

The hover-only oils are probably too attackable by the players 0/2/4/6. It is in range of the base defenses, and there is little space for the other player to setup support for it. Making the highgrounds more accessible could help.

Also the map is a lot about the center. It just gives you one oil directly (plus the one closest to your base, essentially), but once a player has fortified the center he's in a superior position for turtling. I was wondering if the map could benefit from an additional high ground path on the outside that you need to take care of. The current non-center paths can be walled of pretty strongly due to their flat and rectangular layout. The defending player will setup a whole line of various turrets there, with full radar and backing artillerly support. I prefer when the defenses cannot be setup that easily in a big line.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Now that was some nice feedback! :3
That's pretty useful, because i didn't have a chance to try this one yet :oops:
The buildings in the center are a bit irritating; I expected units to be able to go over them once crashed
Yeah, i see what you mean, i used the garbage tile they leave to make concrete cliffs. I wonder if this applies to the previous map, "8c-Abandoned" (?) Hell, i'd have to check them all now >.< The fact that these tiles are unpassable for VTOLs is a known game bug though.
The AIs didn't really seem to "get" the map.
In fact it's one of my weaknesses, yeah :oops:
Also the map is a lot about the center. It just gives you one oil directly (plus the one closest to your base, essentially), but once a player has fortified the center he's in a superior position for turtling. I was wondering if the map could benefit from an additional high ground path on the outside that you need to take care of. The current non-center paths can be walled of pretty strongly due to their flat and rectangular layout. The defending player will setup a whole line of various turrets there, with full radar and backing artillerly support. I prefer when the defenses cannot be setup that easily in a big line.
I wonder how much it applies to human matches, and i also wonder what game setup you're talking about (2x2x2x2 or 4x4?) Anyway, is controlling the center really that easy? In the worst case, you'd have to protect it from attacks from 3 different directions, having only 1 extra oil :hmm:
The hover-only oils are probably too attackable by the players 0/2/4/6. It is in range of the base defenses, and there is little space for the other player to setup support for it. Making the highgrounds more accessible could help.
HIghgrounds? Which highgrounds accessible from where? Well, what's wrong with oils belonging to a specific player? Can't you attack these defenses with hovertanks?
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

4c-Serenity2

A map similar to a previous one, but bigger. Also, spectator locations included.
Attachments
Serenity2.png
Serenity2.png (17.65 KiB) Viewed 9598 times
4c-Serenity2.wz
v1.0
(29.63 KiB) Downloaded 476 times
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

4c-Serenity3

A slight variation on the previous map. I opened up the backward diagonal :roll:
Attachments
Serenity3.png
Serenity3.png (17.62 KiB) Viewed 9555 times
4c-Serenity3.wz
(29.67 KiB) Downloaded 469 times
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

I've just made a new version of my old map, Vision, more specifically, its spectator edition. Most importantly, i modded up spectator locations to work in "no bases" mode; i also re-textured it a bit, because my texturing was rather naive when i made it. The new version is available both in Addons and in the original forum post.