Diorama random map generator, Windows version

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
drgnrdr
Trained
Trained

Re: Diorama random map generator, Windows version

Post by drgnrdr »

Just now trying Diorama random map generator, Windows version. Have one question are the oil derricks supposed to be on the oil resource or beside it. So far I've generated 3 maps and the oil derrick has been beside each resource instead of on them. If this is the way it's supposed to be forget I mentioned it. Otherwise it's very good program.

drgnrdr

ps. Never mind they end up where they belong when the map is played.
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

I noticed the oil derricks appearing offset in flaMe, too. Also, I had loaded the map in flaMe to do some tweaking and noticed that walls are placed on the intersection of tiles (a problem when moving or adding to walls) and that map wouldn't compile with out placing trucks in flame. Diorama added two trucks for each base, so I'm not sure which program is at fault for that.
This is why some features aren't implemented: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7490&view=unread#p87241
drgnrdr
Trained
Trained

Post by drgnrdr »

effigy wrote:I noticed the oil derricks appearing offset in flaMe, too. Also, I had loaded the map in flaMe to do some tweaking and noticed that walls are placed on the intersection of tiles (a problem when moving or adding to walls) and that map wouldn't compile with out placing trucks in flame. Diorama added two trucks for each base, so I'm not sure which program is at fault for that.
The trucks are flaME's, it used to be you could put select any truck and it would compile. Now you have to select at least one of the first truck in it's droid list. As for the rest it's a difference in how the map is rendered that causes it. I've noticed that as long as the gray square is where it's supposed to be it doesn't matter. So either ignore the visual difference or delete the base completely and make one to your satisfaction.

drgnrdr
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

Yeah, that was how I noticed the walls being placed incorrectly; flaMe warned about an overlap (or some such) and pointed to a wall I had placed near one of Diorama's.
This is why some features aren't implemented: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7490&view=unread#p87241
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Sweet ! Thanks Freddie. :)

Even though I love using Flail 13's flaME I do very much look forward to playing and creating with Diorama.

I also think it will be a creative stimulus and boon to WZ map making that is "outta-the-box" of 10 year design conventions. But, well see how that pans out. :wink:

In any case, no matter what, this is a fine prog and bringing it over in this user friendly form to WIN users was a valuable piece of work.

I can also see another use for NET MP - trusted 3rd party folks generating on the fly maps for MP contests. :hmm:

- Cheers, RV :ninja:
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

Rman Virgil wrote:.

I can also see another use for NET MP - trusted 3rd party folks generating on the fly maps for MP contests. :hmm:

- Cheers, RV :ninja:
oooo...I like that idea :)

A players knowledge of a map he's competing on is an obvious factor in his [dis]advantage. That would certainly level the playing field a bit, and reduce talk time over what map to play.

----

I hope this is a ridiculous question: is Diorama truly "random?" If I Bake! with out changing the settings will I get a different result each time?
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

I think it's a notion with promise. Let's see if someone takes it up and makes it a reality. :)

Another thing I'll mention based on my past experience with Diorama (thanks Dylan !) - it can make way more interesting maps than 90% of the maps I've seen made by map makers over the years and it does it in a snap. Very impressive prog. :D However, I also think it a useful learning tool towards the end of helping mediocre mappers raise the level of their skills to that 10% exceptional level that Diorama cannot touch or attain.

- Regards, :hmm:

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
drgnrdr
Trained
Trained

Post by drgnrdr »

effigy wrote: I hope this is a ridiculous question: is Diorama truly "random?" If I Bake! with out changing the settings will I get a different result each time?
No it is not a ridiculous question. And the answer is yes. They are different, just got done baking two maps without changing the settings and they are different.

drgnrdr
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

drgnrdr wrote:
No it is not a ridiculous question. And the answer is yes. They are different, just got done baking two maps without changing the settings and they are different.

drgnrdr

Diorama's actually a bit painful to run on my own home computer (+/- .5 hour bake time), so I haven't yet invested the time to see for myself.
stiv
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by stiv »

Diorama's actually a bit painful to run on my own home computer (+/- .5 hour bake time)
Save that as a data point for the next time people start talking about 'real-time' map generation. And yes, Diorama is an amazing piece of work.
drgnrdr
Trained
Trained

Post by drgnrdr »

effigy wrote: Diorama's actually a bit painful to run on my own home computer (+/- .5 hour bake time), so I haven't yet invested the time to see for myself.
It does that occasionally on mine to. But it depends on the size of the map, the larger the map the longer it takes.

drgnrdr
alto1234
Trained
Trained

Post by alto1234 »

stiv wrote:
Diorama's actually a bit painful to run on my own home computer (+/- .5 hour bake time)
Save that as a data point for the next time people start talking about 'real-time' map generation. And yes, Diorama is an amazing piece of work.
2p maps take 30 seconds on a modern computer. Real-time map generation is feasible for hosts using up-to-date hardware.

8p maps do take much longer. In that case bake it overnight, but it doesn't really make any difference whether you're clicking Bake in warzone2100.exe or Diorama.exe.
zydonk
Trained
Trained

Post by zydonk »

What an extraordinarily effective map maker. We are now in the position where we can create and play one-off maps. This should be a good idea for mp, where relative familiarity with a map can give significant advantage to players. (Also reduce human player advantage in sk, of course.)

Only one caveat, though: created an eight player map on my laptop, but as the display of the map took up more than the screen size, it was impossible to access the save button. Perhaps the bake and save controls could be moved up the page?
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

zydonk wrote:Only one caveat, though: created an eight player map on my laptop, but as the display of the map took up more than the screen size, it was impossible to access the save button. Perhaps the bake and save controls could be moved up the page?
As a temporary workaround: Alt+Space, M, arrow keys
drgnrdr
Trained
Trained

Post by drgnrdr »

Zarel wrote:
zydonk wrote:Only one caveat, though: created an eight player map on my laptop, but as the display of the map took up more than the screen size, it was impossible to access the save button. Perhaps the bake and save controls could be moved up the page?
As a temporary workaround: Alt+Space, M, arrow keys
Simpler to maximize the screen(the square next to the red X) it'll bring the save up where you can see/click it.

drgnrdr