DyDo skirmish AI: ver 2.1.1 (21 Apr 2010)

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
DylanDog
Code contributor
Code contributor

Re: DyDo skirmish AI: New release 0.93

Post by DylanDog »

Berg wrote: It does funny things in the beginning of the game
Scenor towers flash all over the screen area I can see
This is a hack to reveal the oil Resources.
Berg wrote:I have a question about building limits, If I limit the AI to one factory etc. does it affect how the AI plays?
I think only if the limits are lower then the default ones in dydo, but I am not 100% sure, when I have some time I will give it a try.
Berg wrote:I like the idea of multi personalities but so far I cant tell the difference.
Because the AI is still young. The differences are in the research paths and in few settings and decision but I am going to work on the AI to enhance the differences between the personalities after I have fixed the bugs.
My Warzone 2100 mods:
Download DyDo-AI for Warzone skirmish/multiplayer games.
Download A2C-HM (Alpha 2 Campaign - Hard Mode).
Download A3C-HM (Alpha 3 Campaign - Hard Mode).
guciomir
Trained
Trained

Post by guciomir »

DylanDog wrote:
Berg wrote: It does funny things in the beginning of the game
Scenor towers flash all over the screen area I can see
is a hack to reveal the oil Resources.
If you play with advanced bases than your defences start attacking those sensor towers and there is a lot of confusion.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

I would rather add a script function that adds info about all oil resources to a given player. Seems a cleaner way to do it.
DylanDog
Code contributor
Code contributor

DyDo skirmish AI

Post by DylanDog »

Per wrote:I would rather add a script function that adds info about all oil resources to a given player. Seems a cleaner way to do it.
Yes, you are right. Added in the To Do List.

In DyDo 1.0 (download) I have fixed all known bugs. I have played 3 games until the end and the stderr.txt files remains empty :)

Now I have the problem of offering for download the new version in a way I do not bombard with new posts the SHOWCASE. Obviously the AI can be downloaded from its website too but people do check here and not there.

Is it possible to change the post Subject from "DyDo skirmish AI: New release 0.93" to "DyDo skirmish AI" and to replace on the very first post the dydo wz file with the last one?
Attachments
dydo-ai_1.0.wz
(597.62 KiB) Downloaded 235 times
My Warzone 2100 mods:
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Re: DyDo skirmish AI

Post by Per »

DylanDog wrote:Yes, you are right. Added in the To Do List.
Apparently I don't have permission to see that.
DylanDog wrote:Is it possible to change the post Subject from "DyDo skirmish AI: New release 0.93" to "DyDo skirmish AI" and to replace on the very first post the dydo wz file with the last one?
I have tried to give you some moderator powers in that forum. See if you can't do it yourself. Please use it responsibly ;)
DylanDog
Code contributor
Code contributor

Re: DyDo skirmish AI

Post by DylanDog »

Per wrote:Please use it responsibly
sure! thanks!
My Warzone 2100 mods:
guciomir
Trained
Trained

Re: DyDo skirmish AI: ver 1.0

Post by guciomir »

great! I played a long game vs DyDo 2nd General. There were no crashes and error messages (linux). AI is very nice, but obviously some enchancements would be good.

problems:

1. i played full turtle, defending only my own base (4 oil derrics). AI had all resources from the map (12?). I don't know why, but i was faster in researching. AI was not able to crash my defences, I was attacked frequently, but there was no danger at all. Moreover, i think that AI stopped researching because the last tank type i saw was Lancer Python Hover. (for the rest of the game)

I feel that some improvements are needed:
a) AI should be able to break base defences. In this case it should not attack in small groups but create a giant wave to crash player, maybe new templates like heavy/medium cannon - tracks - python ?
b) AI had a lot of VTOLs (they attacked my ground forces when i tried to get closer to enemy base), but they did not attack my base. (they would destroy my defences easily)
c) it would be nice if AI used artillery and mortars as well
d) if the player defends only his base and the AI controls all the map, i think it should concentrate on researches and not on the attacks. AI should recognize what is happening and adjust its strategy.
DylanDog
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by DylanDog »

thanks guciomir!
guciomir wrote: I think that AI stopped researching because the last tank type i saw was Lancer Python Hover. (for the rest of the game)
Strange because at that level MC Python Hover and HC Python Hover should be available too.
DyDo should build at 70% probability the best 2 templates and 30% the best third,fourth and fifth template.
I have now rebalanced it a bit on DyDo 1.0.1, to 60% to 40%.
Do you have any savegame file to send to me? I would like to have a look at it.
guciomir wrote:a) AI should be able to break base defences.?
Easier to say then to do ! :)
guciomir wrote:b) AI had a lot of VTOLs but they did not attack my base.
correct, this feature is not implemented yet, VTOLs defend the base withing a defend range and attacks derricks only for now. It is already in the ToDo list.
guciomir wrote:c) it would be nice if AI used artillery and mortars as well
This feature is not implemented yet. Added in the ToDo list. I am not sure mortars are good as they require mobile sensors and mobile sensors are difficult to manage.
guciomir wrote:d) if the player defends only his base and the AI controls all the map, i think it should concentrate on researches and not on the attacks. AI should recognize what is happening and adjust its strategy.
I agree in the sense that AI should recognize it is in a much better position and should act accordingly by leaving the standard strategy (waves attack). Actually DyDo already changes the strategy after some minutes (I think 30 or 40 minutes) and instead of sending separate waves for cyborgs and tanks it sends combined attacks and it also attacks derricks instead of bases if it has a lack of derricks...but I agree this is not enough. Also added in the ToDo list.
My Warzone 2100 mods:
stiv
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by stiv »

Just played a little bit with 1.0. No sign of error msgs (linux). Seems quite functional. Time to include it in the standard distribution, IMHO.

Nice work, DylanDog!
guciomir
Trained
Trained

Post by guciomir »

Lets wait until DDog changes how OilHack works and until he instroduces VTOL attacks. I think it is better if there are more testings because there are always more bugs to find.

Yeah, there were also some cannon-python-hovers. But at that point AI was building almost all the time cannon/lancer - python-hovers. No more techs showed up.

About mortars, AI could build a small "camp" near player base, with a lot of mortars, sensor towers and basic defences. Mortars would start firing at the player base, thus destroying its defences. What do you think about it?
Last edited by guciomir on 11 Nov 2009, 21:58, edited 2 times in total.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

If it doesn't tech up beyond a certain point, that may be an issue...
guciomir
Trained
Trained

Post by guciomir »

ok, another game, another points:
I am a poor player, but i was able to win this one easily. (startup, standard bases, 2nd general)

1. AI should pick up oil barrels, I don't know if is is easy implement, but it would be nice (once per 2-3 minutes a check if there is an oil derrick within close range)
2. It was quite easy to rush and "close" AI in its own base. (startup mission)
3. AI likes to send single cyborgs/tanks to die.
4. If I leave oil untouched near my forces, AI will be sending trucks to build derrick all the time (and lose a lot of money in the process)
5. there were 2 exits from the enemy base. One of them was heavily guarded by me, but this was a shorter path. The second one was guarded by 3 cyborgs, but the AI did not even try to get out that way.
6. once you release the final version of the your AI (probably many weeks or months later) please make sure to remove the hint about which general is playing the game. Why the player should know his enemy? At the moment, it is very useful for testing.

What will happen if I have a saved game, installs new DyDo, for example 1.1 (when you release it) and then load the game from the previous version ?
DylanDog
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by DylanDog »

stiv wrote: Time to include it in the standard distribution, IMHO.
It is definitely too early I think, more tests are required, bugs are always hidden somewhere. Also I need to introduce some more features and make some amendments.
My Warzone 2100 mods:
DylanDog
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by DylanDog »

guciomir wrote:About mortars, AI could build a small "camp" near player base, with a lot of mortars, sensor towers and basic defences. Mortars would start firing at the player base, thus destroying its defences. What do you think about it?
Yes, this is exactly also what I was thinking about!
Zarel wrote:If it doesn't tech up beyond a certain point, that may be an issue...
yes, I need to test and balance DyDo in T2 and T3 levels.
guciomir wrote: I am a poor player, but i was able to win this one easily. (startup, standard bases, 2nd general)...
1. To be honest I am not sure this is feasible, I`ll have a look.
2. no comments
3. I have fixed this in 1.0.1 (AI is using defences teams even outside the defend range, in 1.0.1 this feature is only for General 1, defend teams in Generals 2-3-4 never leave the defend range)
4. I can try to work on this but it is not an easy thing to implement, AI already checks for threats in range of oilRes but it is not enough I understand...
5. Again, I can try to work on this but it is not an easy thing to implement, possibly using gateways...
6. OK, I can add a variable on the VLO file which will allow to turn this on/off
7. If any variable is added or removed in the new version then you cannot load the game with it, therefore the answer is=generally not.

I will provide you via IM a link to 1.0.1 this afternoon (CET time), such that you can test it...if you want.
My Warzone 2100 mods:
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

stiv wrote:Time to include it in the standard distribution, IMHO.
We cannot do that as long as the license is non-commercial only, because then linux distros etc cannot touch it.