So, what should we do for music?

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
ratarf
Trained
Trained

Re: So, what should we do for music?

Post by ratarf »

This was done on purpose. I was thinking of making it more loopable first, but since it is indeed very intense it wouldn't work. It's meant to be played during a relatively short time while in a battle, not as a background loop. I might create some longer loopable background tracks too, and I will listen to the orginal soundtracks for inspiration.

Thanks for the feedback  ;)
Verminus
Trained
Trained

Post by Verminus »

ratarf wrote: So here's a little preview of what I'm working on.
Please keep in mind that this is in no way a full song. In fact, it's just meant to show the style of music I would like during battle.

Have fun: http://users.skynet.be/ratarf/Battle.mp3

P.S: if you think this sounds like 'oldschool dances', check your ears  8)

hey thats not too shabby.. and i agree with Rman Virgil, has a certain NEXUS feel to it in my opinion.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

ratarf wrote:

But a small suggestion: It would be so great if the music adapted to the gameplay. I would really like some heavy guitars when I start attacking. Off course,  it's harder to implement. But I think it's doable. A 'guitars fade in' trigger when you destroy some (lets say 5) enemy structures or units, and a fade out trigger when there was nog combat for a while.
* The anitithesis of the "endless loop" modus / construct (more an economic constraint than aethetic pre-requisite, methinks.)

* This dynamic approach would be a far richer experience than the "best" endless-loop... any repetition eventually gets tuned-out. After a couple weeks in '99 I started tuning-out WZ's musical loops.

* Anyway, agree with your suggestion / approach, ratarf.

- RV :)

* EDIT: ratarf... I'm gonna do a little investigating and try to understand HOW this could work in MP / SKI Modes and it's feasibility. (It can be done in CAM mode I'm sure.... but I'm not certain about MP and SKI. Intuitively I think it would use a similar modus.... but I'll find-out.)
Last edited by Rman Virgil on 09 Apr 2008, 19:33, edited 1 time in total.

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
A4tech
Trained
Trained

Post by A4tech »

Yea, it's hard enough... Good job man. Dark, heavy and so "Warzone like".

1. No "oldschool" +
2. Hm, too short (?) -

Crap, it's soooo hard  ::) exelent!
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Rman Virgil wrote:
* EDIT: ratarf... I'm gonna do a little investigating and try to understand HOW this could work in MP / SKI Modes and it's feasibility. (It can be done in CAM mode I'm sure.... but I'm not certain about MP and SKI. Intuitively I think it would use a similar modus.... but I'll find-out.)
* I feel blessed everyday.... but some days more than others.

* @ ratarf:

* I asked my friend, teamate & WZ source guru just a matter of minutes ago and here is what he had to say:
Chojun wrote:
Rman Virgil wrote:
* @ Chojun:

* How feasible is this concept for MP & Skirmish ?

* I can sorta see approaching Campaign in this way.... but MP / SKI... don't know.

I've wanted to do this for a very long time.

Many games support this, especially the latest CryEngine.

The hardest part about it would be designing the music in a way that would support non-awkward transitions between tracks.

Then we would have to lay a framework that would allow us to set transition points (to/from/where) for a given set of tracks, via scripting.

The sound subsystem would need to be revamped to use an additional sound buffer in conjunction with the one that plays music currently.  As far as Warzone is concerned currently, I believe the Windows audio subsystem handles playing the music from the CD.  This would need to be changed to use DirectSound exclusively, since DirectSound provides much of the functionality that we would need to pull this off.

Short answer:  Yes, we can do this.
* As much as I've liked Wz over the years another big a part of the loyalty has been the privledge of sharing that affinity with other folks with the utmost in Kwel.

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
michaelb
Rookie
Rookie

Post by michaelb »

Cool -- a real-time score would definitely be a really great capability!

The question then is this: should we wait for this capability to include music in with releases, or should we maybe throw in a default play list such as the one I had quoted in my first post with the 2.1 release (or the next one) until the developers rewrite the sound engine?
I say we should first just include a simple, shuffling soundtrack, since we already have the music and capabilities for it (it would just be a matter of including it in the distribution). Then, when the code is updated, we can make the new music. This is because the changes necessary look rather involved, at least by the description in the post above this one. That way, Warzone won't be quite so dull and silent for the time before the developers make the proper code changes.

If somebody does write a sound framework like this, the composers in the group (it would seem to be ratarf, Chojun, and myself from what I can tell), should definitely put our heads together (maybe in an IRC session) and design several tracks. We should decide on some ambient tracks, and several action tracks that would flow well into each other.

@ratarf: Are those guitar riffs synthesized, or are you playing them on a real guitar? Just curious...
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

michaelb wrote: Cool -- a real-time score would definitely be a really great capability!

The question then is this: should we wait for this capability to include music in with releases, or should we maybe throw in a default play list such as the one I had quoted in my first post with the 2.1 release (or the next one) until the developers rewrite the sound engine?
I say we should first just include a simple, shuffling soundtrack, since we already have the music and capabilities for it (it would just be a matter of including it in the distribution). Then, when the code is updated, we can make the new music. This is because the changes necessary look rather involved, at least by the description in the post above this one. That way, Warzone won't be quite so dull and silent for the time before the developers make the proper code changes.

If somebody does write a sound framework like this, the composers in the group (it would seem to be ratarf, Chojun, and myself from what I can tell), should definitely put our heads together (maybe in an IRC session) and design several tracks. We should decide on some ambient tracks, and several action tracks that would flow well into each other.

@ratarf: Are those guitar riffs synthesized, or are you playing them on a real guitar? Just curious...
* For what it's worth michaelb, that approach makes sense to me. :)

* BUT.... you must not be aware that we are speaking to 2 different WZ binaries .... and even sources at this point.

* Chojun is speaking to the 2100/2200 binary & source. The "framework" he's talking about in our source is C++. The WRP's is a diff approach..

* There are others actually working on new WZ music in addition to those you mentioned (including myself for the new 2200 Campaign.... my guitar tracks are me playing my Parker NiteFly Delux Ax.... Grim also plays - a wicked "Warlock" ax... plus htere are several other musicians in our group)

* Anyway... what the plans are for the WRP binary / source in this area I don't know.. maybe one of its devs will talk about it.

* Hope that wasn't confusing. :) And I appologize if we went a little astray there for a spell from your original intent with this topic.

- Regards, RV :D

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
ratarf
Trained
Trained

Post by ratarf »

Sure, I agree it would be best to put our heads together for the music, otherwise we would end up having some great tracks but they would not fit together. I think, before the 'release' of the music, all original scores should be mixed off by 1 person, otherwise you're dealing with a lot of different sounds and volumes. Anyway, I'm saving all my original scores and I would be glad to share them.
I don't think I fully understand the different versions thing. We're talking about music for the Warzone GPL 2.x right? For now, I'll just keep working on some more music.

About the guitars: the track is pretty much pasted together in about an hour using a music application. All tracks are just software. I do have some guitars (standard lefty stratocaster, old lefty vantage guitar with custom pickups) and a lefty vantage bass guitar, but I can't really connect/record it to my pc with decent quality.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

ratarf wrote:
I don't think I fully understand the different versions thing. We're talking about music for the Warzone GPL 2.x right?
* You, Per & michaelb are talking to the WRP GPL 2.x.

* I think it will be you 3 who will have to get together on the music development for the WRP GPL 2.x.

* I'm streamlining the reality here. For the rest... the "Rock On !" link in my siggy covers it comprehensively.

- Cheers, RV :)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
A4tech
Trained
Trained

Post by A4tech »

Original game sound track ->
a) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBzEImYnpxM
b) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KINcNMD ... re=related

1. Simple
2. Nice sounds (Specialy second link!)

P.S Rman did you uploud this? ;D
doom3r
Regular
Regular

Post by doom3r »

There's another song in the original soundtrack (which was uploaded by Rman too) and one for the PC version menu. My favorites are those you posted. Wonderful songs, does anyone know any artist who makes similar genre music? I'd like to have some in my playlist
Hectichermit
Greenhorn

Post by Hectichermit »

Hmm well I dunno who makes the sounds and stuff but I know what we really need is the voice actors for each campagin even if the animations are no integrated we could use some sound on the campaign transitions...hmm well I dont have any music skills but I got a link to some freeware...http://psycle.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page...it maybe useful to create some of those oldskool analog sounds...lol
doom3r
Regular
Regular

Post by doom3r »

oh, if you're talking about who made music in wz is martin severn, but he isn't a musician, he only made this soundtrack
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

doom3r wrote: oh, if you're talking about who made music in wz is martin severn, but he isn't a musician, he only made this soundtrack
* Well... I don't know 'bout that. Martin has a pretty long and impressive track-record.

* Here are his game credits:

Conflict: Denied Ops (2008), Eidos Interactive Ltd.

Conflict: Global Terror (2005), SCi Games Ltd.

Conflict: Vietnam (2004), SCi Games Ltd.

The Great Escape (2003), SCi Games Ltd.

Conflict: Desert Storm (2002), SCi Games Ltd.

WarJetz (2001), 3DO Company, The

Warzone 2100 (1999), Eidos Interactive, Inc.

X-COM: Apocalypse (1997), MicroProse Software, Inc.

Grand Prix Manager 2 (1996), MicroProse Software, Inc.

Grand Prix 2 (1995), MicroProse Software, Inc.

X-COM: Terror from the Deep (1995), MicroProse Software, Inc.

X-COM: UFO Defense (1995), MicroProse Software, Inc.

Gunship 2000 (1993), MicroProse Ltd.

Cool World (1992), Ocean Software Ltd.

WWF Wrestlemania (1991), Ocean Software Ltd.

Prison Riot (1990), Players Software

Spooked (1989), Players Software

Street Cred Football (1989), Players Software

Powerplay: The Game of the Gods (1988), Players Software

Anfractuos (1987), Players Software

- rv :)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
doom3r
Regular
Regular

Post by doom3r »

wow where did you get those infos? i've searched for Martin Severn but I only found he was part of the wz team xD