[OT SPLIT] random noise

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Re: [Campaign 4] Development topic

Post by Goth Zagog-Thou »

Github repo for Cam 4 is now live. Check it out!

Thanks Duha and everyone else. :)
stiv
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Re: [Campaign 4] Development topic

Post by stiv »

No, the DOD just carry out experiments on civilians, bomb foreign countries to grab their resources, overthrow governments and murder millions of civilians.
Is there an unwritten rule somewhere that every WZ thread has to turn stupid?
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Re: [OT SPLIT] random noise

Post by vexed »

Beside what stiv said, DOD in this context refers to the published specifications that they put out on how to handle data.

As for the other comments... :annoyed:
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

"Stupid" ?... Really ?

Might I suggest checking out these world class standards for online community management and building, then come again:

This one is free.

This one will cost a couple bucks but its gonna give you the basics.

This one also covers the basics but then moves on to master level practices. A little pricey but you can probably get your local library to procure a copy if it's not in the collection already.

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Originway
Trained
Trained

Post by Originway »

rman you are missing the point :hmm:
there was no reason for aubergine to go off the deep end with that remark
it looks like they banned him anyway since I haven't seen a post from him since that post
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Banned? Not really. That's not how the forum rules work.
Off topic? Not anymore since it was split.
Radical opinion? Slightly.
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Originway wrote:rman you are missing the point :hmm:
there was no reason for aubergine to go off the deep end with that remark
it looks like they banned him anyway since I haven't seen a post from him since that post
Don't think so.

I have no beef with the actions taken. The very same ran through my head when I first read the comment and before anything was done. Worst case, it was inappropriate to Goth's thread. My contention is that the use of the word "stupid" to characeterize was straight up inflamatory, uncalled for and a serious faux pas by any world class standard for running a thriving forum. That's it. We all make mistakes but what matters in the end is the learning and adjustments there from. There can be no Kaizen if belittling language is the order of the day.

As to the comment itself, it is definitely on the side of radical but not without merit as the evidence to substantiate it does exist. Still controvertial, which for some online communities they would avoid by explicitly discouraging discussions involving politics and religion. That is certainly their perogative though I'm sure good moderation can deal with controvertial subjects constructively.

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
milo christiansen
Regular
Regular

Post by milo christiansen »

Since my comment got moved here I'll just drop this link before I go to the "real" thread.
csvtoini
In general, if you see glowing, pulsating things in the game, you should click on them.
- Demigod Game Ganual
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

I wasn't banned (or didn't notice if I had been) - just been v. busy in RL. A lot of my RL time is taken up with activism against war crime atrocities, eg. relaying news about Bradley manning back and fourth (I urge you to read his testimony from the recent court hearing, and visit the collateral murder website -- these are tame compared to things I have been seeing lately), helping out with non-violence advocacy groups, sustainability groups, Occupy and Repeace, ITCCS, etc.

So yes, I was a bit excessive in blowing up at the DOD comment, but if you've seen even a fraction of the stuff I've seen over the past couple of years as an activist, you'd perhaps appreciate why a bit more. In particular, all wars waged by the west in the last few decades have been about nothing more than oil and racial hatred (usually both).

Unimaginably, most people support such wars, claiming that bombing foreign countries, subverting democratically elected governments, etc., is somehow bringing peace and democracy to those countries. It's this particular delusion that literally drives me nuts. Anyway, sorry for exploding, I just find war in general to be a deeply abhorrent crime. If war is the answer, the wrong questions are being asked.

Over the past two years I've been "derezzing" from capitalist society - basically stepping further back and away from the system which I was born in to. It's amazing how much ones perspective changes - literally 180º - when you see the system from the outside. If you ever take the red pill, let me know and I'll help you navigate the cognitive dissonance - waking up is tough, and can be very depressing and stressful at times, but ultimately it is worth it.

EDIT: Bradley Manning nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO