Intel core duo. What model is better ?

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Intel core duo. What model is better ?

Post by Terminator »

this weekend I wanted to buy a new hardware so look what I wanted:

Intel Core 2 Duo LGA 775 2.2G/2Mb/800 FSB BOX Conroe (E4500)      (BX80557E4500)

Socket 775: Intel P965+ICH8 ASUS P5B; ATX//FSB1066/4DualDDR2-800-8GB/PCIeX16//8ch ADI SPDIF/4SATA2/Dual Gigabit LAN Realtek//3PCIeX1/3PCI/10USB - Conroe Support      (P5B)

PCIeX: nVidia 7600GS ASUS 256MB/128bit/DDR2/TV/DVI/RTL - Silent      (ZT-76SE250-HSL)

Well I prefer Intel but I confused about model may be something other ?
Death is the only way out... sh*t Happens !

Russian-speaking Social network Group http://vk.com/warzone2100
kage
Regular
Regular

Re: Intel core duo. What model is better ?

Post by kage »

hmmmm... i thought the core 2 duos had a different socket than 775.
EvilGuru
Regular
Regular

Post by EvilGuru »

kage wrote: hmmmm... i thought the core 2 duos had a different socket than 775.
Nope still socket-T (LGA 775), although if you have a P4 era 775 motherboard you are fresh out of luck.

Regards, Freddie.
Kayiaxo
Trained
Trained

Post by Kayiaxo »

I think the processor you choose is ok, However the fsb is a bit low on that model.
You're better off with a 1066mhz fsb cpu for 1: sync with ram (dual channel ddr 533 mhz) and 2: more bandwich from memory to cpu.
However if you're going to overclock that cpu till 1066 fsb then it's ok as well.

As for the motherboard: Asus provides solid and stable motherboards, but they are a bit more expensive then others.
You could also go with an MSI or Gigabyte board if you find a cheaper one (stay with the P965 chipset although).

For the VGA: I don't recommend that VGA since it doesn't have a fan blowing and it's only made with a big heatsink.
I know that those models can get really hot, reducing their lifespan a lot.
If you take that VGA, make sure to have a very very well ventilated case and even better, have a fan blowing on the heatsink of the VGA.
Should you choose another graphic card I recommend a 7600GT instead of GS, the GS is a castrated GT.
For the price difference a GT will offer more for your money.
Credits to Kacen for making the image.
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Post by Terminator »

Found this one - CPU Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz/1333/4M BOX LGA775 - well I guess this processor suits the best for me. But still Cant find good MD for it.

if about VGA. well GS slitly slower but I look in the tests & there said > gs cheeper & if overclocked even faster GT & faster than 8500GT - so I will take it (7600GS)
Death is the only way out... sh*t Happens !

Russian-speaking Social network Group http://vk.com/warzone2100
Kayiaxo
Trained
Trained

Post by Kayiaxo »

There is a good and cheap mobo running the p965 chipset compatible with your cpu, just need to make sure to have BIOS 1.04 or above.
Check out the MSI P965 Platinum board to see if you like it.

The CPU you choose is also a LOT more powerfull then your first CPU choose and will give more bang for the buck.
Solitaire
Trained
Trained

Post by Solitaire »

I'm pretty sure an E6750 costs a LOT more than a E4500 so I'm surprised you didn't spend that small amount extra to get a 7600GT or better. It's a MUCH better card than the GS.
Kayiaxo
Trained
Trained

Post by Kayiaxo »

Well, from his last post in this topic it seemed as if he would overclock the card.
Overclocked the card is worth it, but of course, produces more heat and draws more power so should be cooled well.
If staying on stock setting he's better of with the GT version.
Troman
Trained
Trained

Post by Troman »

Terminator wrote: this weekend I wanted to buy a new hardware so look what I wanted:

Intel Core 2 Duo LGA 775 2.2G/2Mb/800 FSB BOX Conroe (E4500)      (BX80557E4500)

Socket 775: Intel P965+ICH8 ASUS P5B; ATX//FSB1066/4DualDDR2-800-8GB/PCIeX16//8ch ADI SPDIF/4SATA2/Dual Gigabit LAN Realtek//3PCIeX1/3PCI/10USB - Conroe Support      (P5B)

PCIeX: nVidia 7600GS ASUS 256MB/128bit/DDR2/TV/DVI/RTL - Silent      (ZT-76SE250-HSL)

Well I prefer Intel but I confused about model may be something other ?
That depends heavily on how much money you are willing to spend, whether you want it mainly for games or applications, whether you need SLI capability, whether you want to upgrade your system later without replacing too many parts and whether you want to be able to play modern games like Crysis.

If you are really low on money get any of the Intel E2xxx series (Intel E2180 for example). It's a Core 2 Duo Processor with 1mb cache and lower fsb. The good thing about it is that you can overclock it to about 3.0-3.3 Ghz even with the stock cooler and its real cheap. The downside is that it is slower in games compared to Intel E4xxx or E6xxx  and AMD CPUs because of the small cache size.

For Core 2 Duo E6750 I'd go with a Mainboard based on P35 or the new X38 chip (a bit expensive now), for example Asus P5K.

NVidia 7600GS is a bit slow, I don't think you will be able to play modern games with it and overclocking a fanless card might be not a good idea. But again it all depends on your budget. If you want to have a silent card you can look at the Geforce 8600 GT/GTS. Considering the price Ati HD2600 XT or the new Ati HD3850 look good too.

PS: you might like this and this
Last edited by Troman on 16 Dec 2007, 22:03, edited 1 time in total.
?topic=1617.0
EvilGuru
Regular
Regular

Post by EvilGuru »

Currently Intel looks like a much better choice than AMD for the most part (unless you already have an AMD motherboard that is). So I would definitely recommend getting an Intel chip.

The motherboard you have chosen is a good one (I have it myself), however it will require a BIOS update to work with 1333 FSB CPUs. There is a good chance it will already have a new-ish BIOS pre-loaded, but if not you may not be able to use the CPU to its full potential until you have flashed the BIOS.

Unless you can find it a lot cheaper than P35-based boards then I would go for one of them. X38 is not really worth it unless you need dual PCI-e 16x slots.

Troman's advice is (as usual) sound; however I would advise against an 8600-based card unless you *really* need DX10. 8800GT cards or ATI HD 3xxx ones will be a much better choice. You may also want to look out for 7900GTX or 7950GX2 cards going cheap - they will perform above and beyond that of an 8600-based cards in DX9 and OpenGL titles.

Only other thing you need make sure of is that your PSU is up to the job. All too often I read of a cheap power supply blowing up or of a new build not booting being of an under rated power supply.

Regards, Freddie.