FlaME -- The Warzone 2100 Map Editor

Get some help with creating maps or modding.
Need a map editor or other tools, look here!
Flail13
Code contributor
Code contributor

Re: FlaME -- The Warzone 2100 Map Editor

Post by Flail13 »

I only meant "don't need to require gateways". I have no intention of removing them as an option.

The heightmap size was never changed.
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

Gateways are bad. Well designed maps have dynamic frontiers with more than one option. I dont think it's so hard to have the AI analyse the pressure zones to find good choke point candidates and then make it own gateways with oil placement vs threat analysis.
Heretic 2.3 improver and proud of it.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Iluvalar wrote:I dont think it's so hard to have the AI analyse the pressure zones to find good choke point candidates and then make it own gateways with oil placement vs threat analysis.
Considering that the script can't figure out if a certain map tile is passable ... :hmm:
Anyway, you have any link explaining how this sort of thing is usually done :?:
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Iluvalar wrote:Gateways are bad. Well designed maps have dynamic frontiers with more than one option. I dont think it's so hard to have the AI analyse the pressure zones to find good choke point candidates and then make it own gateways with oil placement vs threat analysis.
Then please do it. The original Pumpkin team tried to do that (as witnessed by dead code to that effect in the original release), and settled for map maker defined gateways instead.
Shadow Wolf TJC
Regular
Regular

Post by Shadow Wolf TJC »

Personally, I'd not remove gateway support just yet, though I would like to be able to add support for being able to designate certain spots for AIs to use when building the following defenses:

Ideal tower/hardpoint spots: The elevated view that these defenses provide, despite making themselves more visible than bunkers or emplacements, allow them to spot some enemies that would otherwise be concealed behind bumps in terrain.

Ideal bunker spots: Bunkers are, for the most part, harder to destroy than Hardpoints due to them being more resistant to damage (especially from artillery and all-rounder weapons), though since they lie so low to the ground, they would have trouble targeting certain enemies, assuming that the surrounding terrain is hilly. Otherwise, they would make for ideal defenses, especially for coastlines and chokepoints. Best combined with hardpoints, since hardpoints are taller than bunkers, and since bunkers are highly vulnerable to flamers, whereas hardpoints aren't.

Ideal mortar spots: Mortar pits make for some good defenses, especially when they are placed behind cliffs, where they're hidden from view, and where reaching them would normally take longer than usual, thus allowing them to whittle down the enemies' health more before they can reach them.

Ideal Sensor Tower spots: Sensor Towers are invaluable when it comes to artillery-based defense, as they can allow them to target any threats that might be incoming, even if they wouldn't be able to see them otherwise.

Ideal flamer spots: Flamers are among the shortest-ranged weapons in existence, so normally, they would make for bad base defenses due to how attackers could just wear them down from afar, right? Well, if you can manage to somehow hide them from view until the enemy units can get within range of them, then they can be highly effective base defenses. Ideal spots for them would include just behind the tops of high hills. (The crater to the north of the LZ on Beta 6 is a fine example of such a map feature where Flamer defenses can really shine.)
Creator of Warzone 2100: Contingency!
Founder of Wikizone 2100: http://wikizone2100.wikia.com/wiki/Wikizone_2100
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

@Shadow Wolf - a naming convention would be required so that scripts know what labels mean: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8965

There's also some discussion about exposing map data to scripts which might facilitate a more generic approach to dealing with things like bunker placement: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8983

In terms of gateways, would it be worth moving over to using labels to define them and having the C++ code in warzone transparently translate old-style gateway data in to labels? The existing enumGateways() function could still exist (it would pull a list of gateways regardless of how they are defined) and the enumLabels() function would also include a list of gateways alongside other labels.
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
Shadow Wolf TJC
Regular
Regular

Post by Shadow Wolf TJC »

Until support for being able to label certain spots as ideal locations for AIs to build certain defenses, as well as being able to mark certain maps as being ideal for certain scenarios (such as a water map or an open-area map), exists in FlaME, then I'm afraid that AI programmers would have to manually program these in on a map-to-map basis.
Creator of Warzone 2100: Contingency!
Founder of Wikizone 2100: http://wikizone2100.wikia.com/wiki/Wikizone_2100
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

I understand I will not be answered the question I asked long posts ago ;)

Also I think instruction was renewed by BlueMaxima not so long ago.
“Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.” - V

"Mark my words boy, Mark them well, I have survived your predecessors and I will survive you." - Merovingian

Regards - Mero
Searge-Major
Trained
Trained

Post by Searge-Major »

If I may interrupt... :)

I was wondering, what is the latest FlaME, and where can I get it? I have FlaME v1.23 for Windows 7, but when I open it, I have no tilesets, and no objects to use. I have tried adding data files from wz to the list which opens at start up, but I just get a lot of error messages. If needed, I can copy them and post them here as well.
I fully realise my input is just another drop in the proverbial bucket. It is my goal to make each drop count.
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

1.25 is the current. The first post in this thread is always updated with the new version.
This is why some features aren't implemented: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7490&view=unread#p87241
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Searge-Major wrote:I have FlaME v1.23 for Windows 7, but when I open it, I have no tilesets, and no objects to use. I have tried adding data files from wz to the list which opens at start up, but I just get a lot of error messages. If needed, I can copy them and post them here as well.
Flail13 in the first message wrote: You also need the tilesets and object data.
Tilesets - MediaFire
2.3.7 MP Object Data 2 - MediaFire This file has minor changes since 1.20
Master 20110127 MP Object Data - MediaFire
Searge-Major
Trained
Trained

Post by Searge-Major »

effigy wrote:1.25 is the current. The first post in this thread is always updated with the new version.
Oh. Hidden in plain sight... :oops:

Thanks effigy :wink:
NoQ wrote:
Flail13 in the first message wrote: You also need the tilesets and object data.
Tilesets - MediaFire
2.3.7 MP Object Data 2 - MediaFire This file has minor changes since 1.20
Master 20110127 MP Object Data - MediaFire
Again... :doh:

Thanks NoQ :D

Thanks Flail13 :)

:wheee: :wheee: :wheee: :wheee:
I fully realise my input is just another drop in the proverbial bucket. It is my goal to make each drop count.
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

Hello Gentlemen :)

I am not at home now so I cannot tell great details but I would like to know them when I am back ;)

I have downloaded and started using FlaMe 1.25 and I have particular problem.

I do not know the difference between saving options. There is one fmap and another like 1.19 compatibility

I saved a map few times in the 1.19 and then in fmap, the result is 1.19 works fine but the last save in fmap does not work, I cannot open it there is a sort of error.

What I did wrong?

What are those options and how they differ, and result?

Which is the basic one like in 1.19?

And are there some autosave options so I could gain back last hour of my work?..
“Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.” - V

"Mark my words boy, Mark them well, I have survived your predecessors and I will survive you." - Merovingian

Regards - Mero
Mysteryem
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Mysteryem »

I don't think it's possible to do so at this current stage, but it would be nice to be able to place corner and t-shaped walls in maps so that they are there in advanced bases.
Edit: Looks like it would be fairly simple actually, "Wall\type=#" just needs to be set in struct.ini for each of the walls, here is what each number value corresponds to:
Untitled.png

Also, Mero: For quick access to backups, go here in the options and then open the backup of your choice. Image

.fmap is the newer (and presumably) better format, you should be using it instead of .fme which is for backwards compatability with older versions of flaME.

And it would be helpful if you said what the error was.
"...If pure awesomeness were bricks, this would be the Great Wall of China...
The glory of this has collapsed on its self so far, that even the neutrons have collapsed."
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

Mysteryem :)

Thank you very much! I am sorry I very often do things chaotically and now what is more I was not home when I was typing :)

I send two screens of errors.

The first one appears when I run FlaMe, the second when I try to load fmap I saved once..

Help :augh:
error.png
error 2.png

Regards - Mero