What ever happened to...

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
NullVoid
Trained
Trained
Location: California, except for my brain, which is probably making Timeline Jumps at the moment....

Re: What ever happened to...

Post by NullVoid »

sorry, new here. if im ignorant, tell me. note i have not played the newer version, ive only played the 1.1 NEWST version. gonna get help getting my 2.07 to work, but thats for the help category, so no more! N.E.wA....

1. this was already mentioned, 1.1 had the Satellite Uplink Center, which revealed the whole map.
2. simple solution, new weapon based on EMP... (1.1? remember i need to play 2.07 still) call it the EMP SAD Device...hehehe.... Surface to Air Discharge! think electrostatic, like i lightning bolt, but EMP. because ur firing at a plane that needs its electronics to keep airborne, the EMP SAD Device is maxed out power, enough to kill ANY flyer in one hit, no questions asked. it even has a reload time of near nothing!
heres the catch, SUPER LONG BUILD TIME AND POWER USAGE..... (DUH), and....a range of about 1 space away...... and OWW. its got near nothing for health, and its not available for tanks as a mobile weapon. ie, mega AA, but first hit from a machinegun and its TOAST, (too delicate i guess) and its a freaking discharge through the air, it doesnt go very far at all, (understatement of the year award is getting a little too close for comfort)

3. hehe. i LOVE archangels. uberweapon. but, it would make sense with say doubled damage, to compensate for the reload rate.

4. i dont know, so what about the Howitzers? if they are in 2.07, nvm. if not, plz tell me.
...BUT WARZONE OWNZ!!

I Hereby Render You,

Null
And
Void
Commander_Keyes
Trained
Trained

Post by Commander_Keyes »

Mortars are implented yes.

Doubling archie's dmg?

OMFGORZ!!!!111!11
Their long reload time is actually a tactical element and makes them balanced. Doubling their damage would give them the equivalent of a... tactical nuke or so.
A voley of tactical nukes. Totally I M B A
And, actually, EMP is invisible. They function on the phaenoma of indication. Electromagnetic waves produce electric power upon contact with a metal. EMP means Electromagnetic Pulse. Means it is an extremly powerful burst of electromagnetic waves. But they arent visible. I think they would only be visible on contact, when every metal on board is exposed to strong electrical power.
Thus, a Lightning would probably only occur when you generate very strong static energy. But It almost pointless - it would rather hit a building near before reaching enough power to hit a VTOL up in the sky, and I know of no means to direct statical power.

My two cents.
NullVoid
Trained
Trained
Location: California, except for my brain, which is probably making Timeline Jumps at the moment....

Post by NullVoid »

ok fine then.... use a carrier. ie, a bullet. a very large bullet, but fired at extreme speeds,so it doesnt miss, then the bullet generates an EMP pulse.

WAIT. if u cant see emp, and u cant direct it, then how do the EMP tower and EMP Mortar and EMP Missle launcher (VTOL) work???????

if u can answer, then see above. also if were making the static electricity be the EMP carrier, make a rapidfire gun, fire small superfast bullets that act like lightning rods, forcing the static to arc to it, and therefore to the target. (i once had a semi-reality idea for a gun that fired giant attractors, impact trigged the attractors spring-loaded gripping spikes to latch into the target, while the attractors rear was a giant positively charged metal ball, then the dynamo on the gun (Bigger metal ball, negatively charged) activated, arcing electricity to the attractor and then the target. I.E. a tank, where the shock will go into the fuel tank and make it go BOOM... hehe)

also the archangels are whupped by the Hellstorm Rotary Howitzers, unless their damage is raised. they are still capable of missing, and unlike the Howitzers, they have no splash.... so they are only good in huge amounts, but they can turn an enemy to shrapnel in 1 hit, IF they actually hit.
...BUT WARZONE OWNZ!!

I Hereby Render You,

Null
And
Void
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

NullVoid wrote: also the archangels are whupped by the Hellstorm Rotary Howitzers, unless their damage is raised. they are still capable of missing, and unlike the Howitzers, they have no splash.... so they are only good in huge amounts, but they can turn an enemy to shrapnel in 1 hit, IF they actually hit.

That's the point.

The idea behind the Archangels is that they WTFPWN vehicles in 1 on one combat.  1 Archangel will decimate 1 vehicle, provided they "hit" (which is best at about 1/2 - 2/3 their maximum range).  Howitzers are best used en masse because of their splash; the actual splash damage is rather small against heavier targets, but when combined with 40 other howitzers...

The Archangels were never meant to be a massed artillery.  They were meant to be used in small groups to destroy heavier vehicles, blunting a push.  That is their role in the game; not to compete with Howitzers, but to be an anti-heavy-vehicle support weapon.
Commander_Keyes
Trained
Trained

NullVoid wrote: ok fine then.... use a carrier. ie, a bullet. a very large bullet, but fired at extreme speeds,so it doesnt miss, then the bullet generates an EMP pulse.

WAIT. if u cant see emp, and u cant direct it, then how do the EMP tower and EMP Mortar and EMP Missle launcher (VTOL) work???????

if u can answer, then see above. also if were making the static electricity be the EMP carrier, make a rapidfire gun, fire small superfast bullets that act like lightning rods, forcing the static to arc to it, and therefore to the target. (i once had a semi-reality idea for a gun that fired giant attractors, impact trigged the attractors spring-loaded gripping spikes to latch into the target, while the attractors rear was a giant positively charged metal ball, then the dynamo on the gun (Bigger metal ball, negatively charged) activated, arcing electricity to the attractor and then the target. I.E. a tank, where the shock will go into the fuel tank and make it go BOOM... hehe)

also the archangels are whupped by the Hellstorm Rotary Howitzers, unless their damage is raised. they are still capable of missing, and unlike the Howitzers, they have no splash.... so they are only good in huge amounts, but they can turn an enemy to shrapnel in 1 hit, IF they actually hit.
You confused something, I said static energy can't be directed, however EM Waves can (sattelite bowels). And it's an science fiction game, in future there may be a way to produce EMP missiles and the like.
ANd about your weapon, I doubt it would work. Static electricity will always try to pick the shortest way possible, thus it whould probably hit the ground and kill yourself (lol).
kYdizzle
Greenhorn

Post by kYdizzle »

perhaps you could make an AntiAircaft turret that fires an EMP round at a VTOL like what the EMP cannon does with land troops, thereby forcing it to land (a very bad situation for anysize VTOL making a run on a base), then your cannons can just mop it up.
NullVoid
Trained
Trained

Post by NullVoid »

archangel... ok i admit i am mistaken.

as to static, the reason it heads to the ground is because underground there naturally forms a positive charge, which pulls the electrons. the attractor round activates, causing it to get a massively Positive charge. the Dynamo on the weapon is charged with large amounts of electricity, making a huge negative charge. the attractor is much closer than the actual underground charge, so it JUMPS to the attractor, looking just like a small, sideways lightning bolt. the charge carries through the attractor to the target, then to the ground. flying objects are NOT immune to this, as helicopters have been hit by lightning!

kYdizzle, thats exactly one of the things i suggested, but emp would instantly shutdown ALL electrical devices on the VTOL.... including manuevering, lift, and landing. a VTOL hit with an EMP would react just like a tank or cyborg: dead halt. of course, a dead halt while in mid-flight is more like freefall. given the tonnage of a VTOL, it would be like dropping a tank from 5 miles up!
...BUT WARZONE OWNZ!!

I Hereby Render You,

Null
And
Void
Commander_Keyes
Trained
Trained

Ah. Now you're talking, boy  ;)

But a weapon of this function would probably be impossible to construct on a hand-held scale (or even tank mounted?) before portable fusion reactors are invented (a hooray to fallout 1 & 2!).
I think 5 miles in the sky is too much, since VTOLs do rather low altitude bombing & gunning runs. They are max. 500m altitude or so.
Chojun
Regular
Regular

Post by Chojun »

I think a lot of people have forgotten that this is Warzone 2100.  As in, technology levels have advanced 70 years.  I should think that most things discussed here would be possible.
The best thing to do when your philosophies don't stand up to debate is to lock the thread and claim victory.
NullVoid
Trained
Trained

Post by NullVoid »

ok the altitude was an example. and as for power, Thats why its a defense only.
...BUT WARZONE OWNZ!!

I Hereby Render You,

Null
And
Void
Commander_Keyes
Trained
Trained

Sure, it is 2100.

ANd for your weapon, in fact, it's a...
WIRELESS TASER!
So you might consider calling it Taser Bluetooth edition?
NullVoid
Trained
Trained

Post by NullVoid »

Hehe, good one! ;D

but taser = electric
EMP partially disrupts electron flow. most flows are too weak to be affected, but any kind of electronic device will get its stored data totally scrambled, as well as kill or even overload the power. EMP is nothing like electricity.
my gun, (in what i admit is the most sensible version) fires a mid-sized projectile at very high speed, and at impact, the projectile activates the small EMP Bomb inside of it, making a spherical blast of EMP that would be large enough to engulf 2 tanks (thats small for EMP, most versions of EMP bombs are the size of an old computer monitor and can blackout an entire city). hmm, maybe its not 100% accurate, but its just as accurate as the AA guns... anyway, that blast hits the VTOL, killing all of its systems in one hit. plummet to your doom, pilots.
not a taser.
...BUT WARZONE OWNZ!!

I Hereby Render You,

Null
And
Void
Chojun
Regular
Regular

Post by Chojun »

eh,
The best thing to do when your philosophies don't stand up to debate is to lock the thread and claim victory.
kYdizzle
Greenhorn

Post by kYdizzle »

actually EMP is just a pulse of a broad spectrum radiation that causes the conductive metals in electronics to heat up, kind of what happens to a bulb in a microwave, or a cd, or that spoon i forgot to take out my oatmeal...

i was thinking that the VTOL would have shielded backup systems that would prevent a catastrophic crash landing, just like putting a phone in a microwave, then haveing an EMP go off outside it, shielding the phone from the harmful rays outside
NullVoid
Trained
Trained

Post by NullVoid »

interesting. i was under the impression that it was a form of energy. i know for a fact that u can make it by overloading a transformer and sticking some metal between the terminals (i mean a power transformer).
...BUT WARZONE OWNZ!!

I Hereby Render You,

Null
And
Void