Warzone 2100 ipod/iphone/ipad app

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
zaeciccone
New user

Warzone 2100 ipod/iphone/ipad app

Post by zaeciccone »

Hey Guys,
Could someone work on developing a Warzone 2100 ipod/iphone/ipad app. It would be really cool. :)
Thanks
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Re: Warzone 2100 ipod/iphone/ipad app

Post by lav_coyote25 »

zaeciccone wrote:Hey Guys,
Could someone work on developing a Warzone 2100 ipod/iphone/ipad app. It would be really cool. :)
Thanks
yeah... it would be really cool. thing is though Apple wont allow it. period. end of statement. again. sorry. please to be doing a search for similar topics prior to posting. thanks. :)
dak180
Trained
Trained

Post by dak180 »

To be clear, what we could not do would be to put Warzone in the App Store because it requires the use of an Apple licence and the GPL is not compatible with such; additionally for a number of reason we cannot simply relicence Warzone to get around this as some other GPL programs have done.
User:dak180
Keeper of the Mac Builds
JakeGrey
Trained
Trained

Post by JakeGrey »

Hmmm... I might have an idea for that. What would Apple make of a tailor-made app to allow people to play WZ2100 remotely from their home computer on an iPad?
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

JakeGrey wrote:Hmmm... I might have an idea for that. What would Apple make of a tailor-made app to allow people to play WZ2100 remotely from their home computer on an iPad?
waste of time and money on your part due to the aforesaid reasons. Apple doesnt give a philadelphia (you know what), about any apps , that it can not make a profit from. end of story. unless you have very deep pockets and want to go head to head with Apple s litigation teams. as i said prior, they only speak in $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.$$ and you can thank that ( expletive deleted) Steve jobs and his vision of software/hardware facism.... but as i said - is a loosing battle. :annoyed:
dak180
Trained
Trained

Post by dak180 »

JakeGrey wrote:Hmmm... I might have an idea for that. What would Apple make of a tailor-made app to allow people to play WZ2100 remotely from their home computer on an iPad?
It could be done but it sounds like it would take more effort than it would be worth (it is highly unlikely that the Project would do such a thing).

That said, if someone wants to do it I do not see any reason why they cannot do so.
Keeper of the Mac Builds
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

dak180 wrote:
It could be done but it sounds like it would take more effort than it would be worth (it is highly unlikely that the Project would do such a thing).

That said, if someone wants to do it I do not see any reason why they cannot do so.
waste of time and money on your part due to the aforesaid reasons. Apple doesnt give a philadelphia (you know what), about any apps , that it can not make a profit from. end of story. unless you have very deep pockets and want to go head to head with Apple s litigation teams. as i said prior, they only speak in $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.$$ and you can thank that ( expletive deleted) Steve jobs and his vision of software/hardware facism.... but as i said - is a loosing battle. :annoyed:
is that not enough of a reason(s). :hmm:
JakeGrey
Trained
Trained

Post by JakeGrey »

What, are free-to-download apps banned or something?
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

JakeGrey wrote:What, are free-to-download apps banned or something?
nope. if you can get apple to agree to this and provide a free app. go ahead. others have tried. perhaps you will succeed where they failed. pardon me if i don't hold my breath. :)
dak180
Trained
Trained

Post by dak180 »

No, lav_coyote25 just seems to be feeling especially negative.
Keeper of the Mac Builds
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

dak180 wrote:
No, lav_coyote25 just seems to be feeling especially negative.
nope - is what Apple does to people that submit apps. i have no hatred except that which goes against my values. ie: proprietary crap no matter which way you slice it, is still crap. opensource software and hardware is the way it should be. :lecture:
JakeGrey
Trained
Trained

Post by JakeGrey »

Fair enough, then. There's a method of bypassing the App Store without jailbreaking the phone or tablet, I think, but it might've been patched since the Techdirt article where I read about it was posted some time back in '09; I can look it up if a volunteer with an iOS SDK and a lot of free time comes forward.
In the meantime, if you really want to play WZ2100 on the bus or in Starbucks, I suggest looking for a good remote-desktop app.
Chojun
Regular
Regular

Post by Chojun »

Probably the best way to get around a lot of the limitations would be to develop an app (non-GPL but that's irrelevant) that meets the terms of Apple's licenses that functions as a downloader that contacts project servers and downloads and installs the game.

But I understand that there's some kind of review process in order for an app to be approved for the app store, and I don't know if that kind of shell/downloader program would beat their smell test.

Anyway, no matter. I predict the demise of the Apple Computer within 3-5 years and the demise of their tablet sometime after that. Make it for the Android. It's a stack built atop Linux that is open and encourages people to play with it.
andydomination
Greenhorn

Post by andydomination »

:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:
I think you should add a skirmish mode but there is a server that acts as the AI ,so when you do something (eg. move a unit to attack) that is transmitted to the server and then the server responds (eg. move a unit to counterattack)
:lecture:

So basicly it's multiplayer except there is a remote server playing against you.

I'm sure this could work because it's only the code for the AI that's illegal so a multi-player only app would meet the requirements.

H|C
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

Never under-estimate the desire of people to want something that "just works".

While developers might grumble about Apple's review process, end users choose Apple stuff because they want something that is super-easy to use and consistent in approach.

If you look at, for example, Android apps and compare to the iPhone equivalents, the average end-user (ie. not fussed about any techie stuff or anything like that) just wants something simple that gets the job done - so they choose Apple over Android (the only thing that might push them over to Android is the lower price). They don't care what the developer has to go through to get it on to their phone. As far as they are concerned they just download it via app store and it works, that's all that matters to them.

I watched a salesman where I work try and find some information on his Android device. It had so many cool features that he struggled to find what he was looking for. On an Apple device, everything is super-simple, it just does what you want as an average end-user.

So I doubt Apple or their iDevices will expire any time soon. There will always be a market full of people who want hassle-free technology.
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO