[DEPRECIATED] Campaign 4 (Old thread)

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
milo christiansen
Regular
Regular

Re: [ALPHA][Curr.Ver: Release-7]Campaign 4 Preview & Bug Rep

Post by milo christiansen »

I meant as a preprosseser that is run on the scripts before mod packaging. I probably wouldn't help much but you never know :wink: Besides I need a few new Go projects :P

I think if you ask per nicely he could probably add any functions needed so porting could comence, of cource a working master data set would be needed.

I'll have a look at the scripts when I get home and do some planing for later porting, maybe ever start on framework :)
In general, if you see glowing, pulsating things in the game, you should click on them.
- Demigod Game Ganual
milo christiansen
Regular
Regular

I took a stab at porting and its going to be a big job. The APIs are different enough that the script structure will need a lot of changing. The good news is that some things will be a lot easier :)

In any case here's a simple utility that will strip all calls to ToWorld that use a single numeric constant :) Not sure if it provides any benefit but it doesn't hurt anything ether.

I ran it on all the scripts in my copy and nothing broke :P

To Use:
Just pass the name of the slo to operate on as a command line arg, drag and drop works fine.
Go source is included and it should work fine for Linux or osX
Attachments
ToWorldGoodby.7z
exe and Go source
(264.62 KiB) Downloaded 175 times
In general, if you see glowing, pulsating things in the game, you should click on them.
- Demigod Game Ganual
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Post by Goth Zagog-Thou »

Nice.

Release-8 is in the works. Features include:

- A 25% rewrite (so far) of M1 and M2 to make them more dynamic (the player has a choice to make on which way to go -- works pretty good and it's pretty neat to boot) with additional changes on the way to make it even MORE dynamic, while being a little more forgiving at the beginning (aka some "breathing room" ). This affects the flow of M1 and M2 pretty significantly for the better.

- M9 is making its' first appearance here. This is the M12 map, the one with the 5 stages. I figured the old versions of 9~11 simply didn't cut the mustard, and deserved to be scrapped. This change is likewise for the better. So far M8 is the only one that has a single mission in it. My logic on this change is I'd rather have 3 *good* maps with good missions, rather than a bunch of mediochre maps with blah missions.

I've run into some problems getting a conversion to the Master branch to work. Perhaps after Release-8 is out, Milo, would you mind porting it to Master?
milo christiansen
Regular
Regular

I'll give it a stab at least, after all I did setup the original data sets for both versions :P
- Demigod Game Ganual
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Good stuff Milo, thanks. We'll use Release-8 as the base, since really the only things that will change after this release will be scripts for the missions and the maps themselves. I'll have that ready soon.

So we have a total of three maps and 14 missions thus far. I'd really like the Community jump in and make some *more* maps / mission ideas. 14 for an Expansion isn't enough.
hjhjhj
Trained
Trained

Post by hjhjhj »

How do i get to play this ? I am a total noob when having to use flame and all that O_o
So far, all i get is, that this is no normal mod. The game have to be launched by FlaME? :hmm:
AKA. Balano
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

The mod includes the reference .fmap files. The folder is right there. .wz files are just renamed .zip files.

You load the .fmap with FlaME, make changes, then compile your map in the /wrf/cam4 folder. Using a text editor, edit the gamedesc.lev file to add the new map to the campaign. You'll see how it works easily enough. If you're modifying an existing map, you can skip that step since all the maps are properly named.
M10c
New user

Post by M10c »

I am very eager to use this mod, but every time I attempt to run the campaign, tutorial, or even fast play, I get 2 successive error messages: First is [resload] Failed to parse wrf/vidmemc.wrf and the second is [startgameloop] Shutting down after failure.
I have Flame installed, and put the mod in Autoload folder in the mods directory. So I am wondering if I did something wrong? Using the 3.1 beta version on a windows 7 32 bit machine.

Edit: After installing the 2.3 version, I get it to go into campaign on both the aforementioned windows machine, and my Ubuntu 11.10 laptop, but not long after I get the northern area during the first mission opened up, it crashes regularly on both machines. Also during the mission there are persistent script errors, not sure if they may have anything to do with it. Since the log file is too big, I'll post the last few lines of it.

Double Edit: I managed to get it working, I absolutely LOVE it! It is a different style and feel from what I am used to in a campaign, but it is perfect I think! Working on building up delta base now :) Thank you for working on this, keep up the good work!
Last edited by M10c on 02 Feb 2012, 20:08, edited 1 time in total.
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Make sure you're using the 2.3.9 version on Ubuntu. If memory serves, the one in the Ubuntu repos are a version or two behind. The compile guide will tell you everything you need to know. I always build my own Warzone -- it tends to run better and is FAR more cooperative. Yes there are assert errors galore -- and I'm investigating ways to fix them. The error log entries (some of them) are also the same issue. It concerns trying to build units when the factories aren't there any more. The hangs on Win32 are due to missing research messages, but 'nix and mac systems are unaffected by this.

The mod dosen't support 3.0+ branches of Warzone for now, due to the ever-changing nature of the scripting language conversion.

Also, my apologies to all for the lateness of this next release. It's been a BRUTAL two months, and real-life is taking its' toll once again. When things *least* need to go wrong, they always *do*. I don't have an eta for the next release, either. I could probably just package it up and release the current state as-is and it would be okay for the most part. M9 loads but really dosen't do much of anything yet.
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Oh my, it seems I have some catching up to do. :lol2:

On to 3.1 !
Spik3d
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Spik3d »

The campaign doesn't seem to have the ability to progress if you managed to save the transport from the enemies in M1. I looked through the scripts for M1 and I couldn't find anything that would act as a safety for this. I also didn't notice the console messages during my first go at this campaign, which is why I saved the transport. It was also a little misleading since the transport could still hover and was at 100% health when it was supposed to be incapacitated.

I'm not sure if there's any way to do this with Warzone's engine as it is, but if you started the transport at a very low health and dealt damage to it through the script to kill it once the Nexus units start attacking it (not immediately), you could prevent the player from breaking this part. Or you could give Nexus air units to destroy it, but this could instill fear in the player that they will have to deal with Nexus air units and build AA defenses when they aren't needed.

Less important, but still something to consider. The dialogue is a little vague. IIRC, during the game's campaign, the player was usually warned of an attack or nearby base, but was also given a definitive order of what to do. For example, instead of saying:
Commander, we're detecting an enemy Recon Force heading our way to finish us off. I suggest we head north to evade them. ETA: 1 minute 50 seconds.
You could say:
Commander, we're detecting a Nexus Recon Force heading our way to finish us off. Proceed to the north to survive the attack. ETA: 1 minute 50 seconds.
Changing enemy to Nexus and evade to survive would also help push the player in the direction they're supposed to go. The player might think it's just a scavenger recon force attacking since that's who they'll see surrounding them. And if someone sees a suggestion to evade a recon force, they might decide to stay and fight, especially if they think it will be a bunch of scavengers.
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

The code to make it behave that way certainly could be added, in the event that the player can somehow defend Transport One.

That would open up a whole new direction for the Campaign to go...

I like it. Consider your requests added. I'll add the code and make the changes you've requested tomorrow. :)
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Hi Goth.

Where you at with your work?

I'll be back home next week and I'd like to pick-up on your most current iteration. At least to give some constructive feedback if not more in the way of lending a hand.

My main interests in WZ are focused now on changes to Commanders in MP & the progress of your campaign.

Quick question - how is the emergence of the JS API effecting your efforts?

- Regards, Rman. :hmm:

Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

Post by Lord Apocalypse »

Mangodia?
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Lord Apocalypse wrote:Mangodia?
No. This one's all Goth's creation through & through. :)