What defines Warzone?

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

What defines Warzone?

Post by Per »

When the people behind Starcraft made their sequel, they reportedly sat down to jot down the things that defined "Starcraft", and that they should not change. I think it would be instructive for us to do the same thing. We are making quite a few changes in master to the core game, and it might be good to decide where to draw the line. So please contribute the most important things that for you makes Warzone what it is - and please keep the list very short. And relevant for both campaign and multiplayer.

For me, these things are:
  • The Mad Max-type post-apocalyptic theme.
  • The ability to design your own units.
  • The viper mg model.
You?
Berg
Regular
Regular

Re: What defines Warzone?

Post by Berg »

Per wrote:The Mad Max-type post-apocalyptic theme.
This Theme encompasses Many things for me..

The battle for OIL/resources .
In earlier warzone you did not know where enemy or oil were.

Short list

Regards Berg
Reg312
Regular
Regular

Post by Reg312 »

- fight for technologies
- The ability to design your own units
- the to ability design your own base. make various towers and walls in different variations.

also i want say fight for oil and viper mg is obsolete.. most multiplayer games are high oil and campaign is fight for technologies not for oil..
Chojun
Regular
Regular

Post by Chojun »

What kinds of major changes are you proposing? Is there a list of them somewhere?
stiv
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by stiv »

For me, it is:

Unit design and the strategic choice involved. Quantity vs Quality? Cyborgs vs Droids? A focus on tanks, cyborgs, or savage air war?

The automated droids - like a wind-up chess set. Give them orders and let them have at it. Death to Micromanagement!

Rock-Paper-Scissors. For every type of weapon or body/armor, there is a counter to it. In the real world, we call it combined arms. The trend to 'balance' everything into a homogenized mess is wrong, IMHO.

The post-apocalyptic setting. I do love me a good Apocalypse, or the aftermath thereof
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

- Truck's build animation
- The ability to design your own units.
- The woman's voice of the computer (I love it so much)
- Expanding campaign maps
- Arizona's landscape
- The Mad Max-type post-apocalyptic theme.
- Original music tracks
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

stiv wrote: The trend to 'balance' everything into a homogenized mess is wrong, IMHO.
If you are talking about me, know that I'm not turning everything as a "homogenized mess". My balance keep the weapon modifier and therefore that rock/paper/scissor mechanism.

*You forgot about the research mechanism. Which is afaik the more complex ever in RTS world. (And here I dont talk about the exact shape of the tree, but only that capacity to be so deep and take such importance in the game)
Heretic 2.3 improver and proud of it.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Chojun wrote:What kinds of major changes are you proposing? Is there a list of them somewhere?
No. I am still thinking about that. Hence the original post.
zydonk
Trained
Trained

Post by zydonk »

Make a distinction between what I like and take for granted, and what I like and like every time I like it again.

Take for granted: research and build variety; the fit of terrain, vehicles and their behaviour, and what I can best call pace - games can be quick or slow, easyish or tough; music and the female announcer; unfussy GUI.

What I like to like: what I call the "slap" - the terrific sense of impact when armies collide, the definition of the weapons: the power of the big guns, the zap of the Lancer early in the game, the zip-zip of pulses in defense, the sneaky air attacks and the frenzied aa response, watching a ripple salvo rip enemy units/defenses apart, and most of all the edginess at every attack, knowing that if the enemy breaks through I will be gutted in minutes (a computer is so much faster than me).

I play v110 mostly (Delphinio's new stand alone - try it out) - (auto)balance has weakened the impact of slap in recent versions. (Iluvalar, with all respects for your talents, you are just an accountant at heart.)

What I dislike: the stupid trucks running out under enemy fire. Really hate that.
Asgorath
Trained
Trained

Post by Asgorath »

What defines Warzone to me?
- Many many technologies to research
- Design your own units
- Gathering power by oil derricks and power generators
- Being a RTS-Game (obviously)
- Building tanks and sending them into the battle

Do the new master-snapshots still catch my definition of "Warzone"?
Absolutely! In fact, I even prefer the new master-snapshots compared to 2.3.x series or any other Warzone-Version out there. The new master-snapshots feature some very conclusive new features such as
- Improved graphics
- Gates for walls
- Show ETA on production and research progress bars
- Various bug fixes
- New MP-Lobby
Chojun
Regular
Regular

Post by Chojun »

Per wrote:
Chojun wrote:What kinds of major changes are you proposing? Is there a list of them somewhere?
No. I am still thinking about that. Hence the original post.
Ah, I see. :)

Warzone for me (not in any particular order of importance):

Music
FMVs (big one for me)
Post-apocalyptic story and setting
Full 3D environment
Ability to design units
Extensive research
More complete representation of combat (e.g. artillery, sensors, combined arms, etc)
Departs from the tired resource-gathering model (bottomless oil wells allow the player to focus on the greater tactical strategy rather than constantly worrying about resource starvation)
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

zydonk wrote: I play v110 mostly (Delphinio's new stand alone - try it out) - (auto)balance has weakened the impact of slap in recent versions. (Iluvalar, with all respects for your talents, you are just an accountant at heart.)
I'm not sure which version you are talking about suddenly. The versions on my mods or 2.3.8 ? Can you define more what you are seeking in the game it still unclear for me.
Heretic 2.3 improver and proud of it.
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

:annoyed: Stay on topic, if you want to discuss that mod, take it elsewhere.

p.s, what, nobody has listed it is as fun today, as it was back then... :hmm:
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
Asgorath
Trained
Trained

Post by Asgorath »

vexed wrote:p.s, what, nobody has listed it is as fun today, as it was back then... :hmm:
->
Asgorath wrote:Do the new master-snapshots still catch my definition of "Warzone"?
Absolutely! In fact, I even prefer the new master-snapshots compared to 2.3.x series or any other Warzone-Version out there.
:read:
Searge-Major
Trained
Trained

Post by Searge-Major »

Weeell...

Unit design, (apart from the fact that there are only 4 pages of weapons available in 2.3.9);
The wealth of research to do and the different paths you can take through it;
The broad range of weapons available, eg. artillery, MBTs, fast assault units, and of course vtols :D ;
Graphics are pretty good, but the computer I use can't handle them :evil: ;
Simple resource gathering and utilising (just build oil derricks and power generators :wink: )
The view mode IMO needs improving, factories etc don't look right except from dead ahead, otherwise quite cool.
vexed wrote: p.s, what, nobody has listed it is as fun today, as it was back then... :hmm:
No idea what the original was like, only played the 2.3 series, but it's seriously fun. :D

Searge-Major
I fully realise my input is just another drop in the proverbial bucket. It is my goal to make each drop count.