Deactivating the Battle View (from the psx version)

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Re: Deactivating the Battle View (from the psx version)

Post by Per »

I never tried the PSX version, but to be perfectly honest, I think this feature sounds pretty lame. I'd love to test it out and be proven wrong, though. I did enable and test the PSX radar, and disliked it immensely. I think perhaps the PSX and PC versions were two different games, with different focus and target audience, and I like the PC version better.
"Make a man a fire, you keep him warm for a day. Set a man on fire, you keep him warm for the rest of his life."
doom3r
Regular
Regular

Post by doom3r »

This thing has nothing to do with the differences between psx and pc version. It's just about removing a lame feature (the follow command) with something more useful and funny, and I think this wouldn't require any big change in the code and/or in the gameplay. The pc version will not become a psx version, which is not a completely different game but just an adapted version of the game to use with joypad or psx mouse, which is quite difficult. The two versions were not focused on different audience, they had to be slightly different because of the different type of support.
Last edited by doom3r on 26 Sep 2007, 20:45, edited 1 time in total.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

------------->

* How does that syllogism from classic logic go:

* If (x) like (a) and (all a) are (b) then (all x are b)...

* J/K ;)

* What is lame is the crippled (synonym, heh) "follow" in the PC ver as I stated in my 1st post.

* Having played both PSX1 & PC vers like everyone here who expressed a fondness for the PSX1 ver of the feature I dare say a "BattleZone" implementation into the PC ver would be lauded by most who actually play the game for fun.

* Putting aside a consensus of sheer numbers by those who have had gameing experience with all 3 referents (WZ PSX1 & PC + "BZ 1-2")... I could very well be completely off-base. ;)

- RV :)

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
doom3r
Regular
Regular

Post by doom3r »

* Putting aside a consensus of sheer numbers by those who have had gameing experience with all 3 referents (WZ PSX1 & PC + "BZ 1-2")... I could very well be completely off-base.

One More With Us!!

Ill rename the "follow" command to LAME command to fully describe what this one does: Nothing.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

I'd love to see it, but I do not know how to add it. Maybe Chojun or someone else can point to where it resides in the source.
"Make a man a fire, you keep him warm for a day. Set a man on fire, you keep him warm for the rest of his life."
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

Per wrote:Maybe Chojun or someone else can point to where it resides in the source.
I'd guess it was removed with all the other PSX code somewhere between revisions 50 and 350 (while still on Berlios).
We want information... information... information.
doom3r
Regular
Regular

Post by doom3r »

I don't think [im not a programmer/modder so im not sure about this] this would be too much difficult to do. You just have to modify the follow command, like making the view lock only on a unit without continously moving to another, enable keys for movement [which could be the 4 arrows since you dont have to scroll around the map with the battle view deactivated] and for fast selection of another unit in the group [R1 in psx I think] and make a crosshair. Oh, and make all the units selected do the same of the "commander". Again I dont have any experience in programming but i dont think this would be too hard to do since it is all about working on already existing code parts.

And from what cyberspinx said it looks like some PSX code existed until you removed it [rev.50-350]... this is where we have to look to find something more.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

-----+--->

* I still wonder WHY it was crippled in the PC version to the useless "Follow" feature ?

* Did Pumpkin just run outta time & had to back-burner it like "ECMs", "Commander Turret Brain Upgrades" & "Electronic Labs" ?

* Did some think the implementation looked "Silly" (like how they felt about "Jump Borgs") and needed more work before letting fully loose ?

* Did a majority think it was somehow not within the "spirit" of the PC ver so they deactivated it like the did with the "Transformation Code" in v. 1,05 (which I thought had "Nano-Tech" potential & was exciting) ?

* Don't recall them ever speaking to their reasons on this one.

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Kayiaxo
Trained
Trained

Post by Kayiaxo »

I played the ps1 version 8 years ago but I don't remember that feature.
I don't know if it's good or bad but it sounds good at least.
Credits to Kacen for making the image.
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

doom3r wrote:And from what cyberspinx said it looks like some PSX code existed until you removed it [rev.50-350]... this is where we have to look to find something more.
The released source was for both the PC and the PSX version. Most of the PSX code was removed quite early, since it more or less just duplicated the PC code, adapted to the limited resources of the PSX. But there were some special features hidden in all that duplicated crap that got also removed (like the drive feature mentioned here, and some special effects). Anyway, if someone wants to look into resurrecting this, the changes between r119 and r120 should be a good start.
We want information... information... information.
doom3r
Regular
Regular

Post by doom3r »

maybe someone should check these reviews to see if the code is there...
Deus Siddis
Trained
Trained

Post by Deus Siddis »

cybersphinx wrote:But there were some special features hidden in all that duplicated crap that got also removed (like the drive feature mentioned here, and some special effects).
I remember that the gauss weapons had a firework-like explosion effect when they hit something. It was a little more spectacular than what is in the game now, but perhaps it was also more pixelated.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

doom3r wrote:
maybe someone should check these reviews to see if the code is there...
* Maybe someone will but doesn't appear likely outta this camp at this juncture.

* If the WRP obviously shared the same operational philosophy with Pumpkin Studios vis-a-vis the game, its fans & its future then this would have clear traction. But from what I've been able to observe here abouts & in the logs, it appears those operational philosophies reside apart in distinct realms. Actually, siggy banners appear to have way more traction than said "drive" feature's future - no pun intended. ;)

* Admittidly I could be way off base with that assessment standing outside the coterie looking in via somewhat discontinuous snap-shots..

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Deus Siddis
Trained
Trained

Post by Deus Siddis »

Rman Virgil wrote: * If the WRP obviously shared the same operational philosophy with Pumpkin Studios vis-a-vis the game, its fans & its future then this would have clear traction. But from what I've been able to observe here abouts & in the logs, it appears those operational philosophies reside apart in distinct realms. Actually, siggy banners appear to have way more traction than said "drive" feature's future - no pun intended.
If your feeling on this is true, it is most likely just because those within the WRP dev team simply never really had much or any experience with the PSX make of warzone. Coders competent enough to port and then build on this game probably had a PC back in the day and would have bought and played wz on that. Thus going on their experience, the devs likely just concluded that the PSX was little more than a port to a less powerful system and had nothing worth looking at. Sadly such a conclusion does not do justice to this feature, which is far superior to its weak 'counterpart' from the PC.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Deus Siddis wrote: If your feeling on this is true, it is most likely just because those within the WRP dev team simply never really had much or any experience with the PSX make of warzone. Coders competent enough to port and then build on this game probably had a PC back in the day and would have bought and played wz on that. Thus going on their experience, the devs likely just concluded that the PSX was little more than a port to a less powerful system and had nothing worth looking at. Sadly such a conclusion does not do justice to this feature, which is far superior to its weak 'counterpart' from the PC.
* Delphinio pointed out another PC RTS from '99 that I wasn't familiar with called "Machines" which also had a sweet "Drive" implementation like the "PSX" WZ.

* So add "BZ 1 & 2"  and that's 3 bonafide PC platorm RTSs from back in the day that implemented said "Drive" feature.

* From everything I've heard & read those 3 PC RTSs had / have legions of fans who only rave(d) about the FUN of having this play PoV GPM ability.

* I certainly enjoyed the heck outta of it.

* And BTW, I think "Driving" the Warthog in the last Mission of "Halo 1" has got to be on my all-time favorite gameplay sequences. Useing the word "awesome" is truely apt.

* 'Course in subsequent years the immense popularity of the "BattleField" series owes much to this type feature (& I do realize I've shifted to another genre as I did with "Halo"...)

* Which takes me back to WZ in the sense that with such a "Drive" implementation plus Grim's new Art - well,... map-makers would begine to design their maps with all this in mind.... the WZ PC play experience would change dramatically & only for the better, IMO.

Last edited by Rman Virgil on 05 Oct 2007, 20:45, edited 1 time in total.

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo