Unforgettable Games That You Have Ever Played

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Unforgettable Games That You Have Ever Played

Post by Merowingg »

The idea is simple, type here the name of a game that impressed you the most. It might be more than one of course :) It can be game of any kind, and on any platfor ever existed :)

Please write short or if you prefer long description why do you think this particular game or games made such a big impression on you :)

At least short :)
Last edited by Merowingg on 11 Sep 2011, 10:51, edited 1 time in total.
“Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.” - V

"Mark my words boy, Mark them well, I have survived your predecessors and I will survive you." - Merovingian

Regards - Mero
milo christiansen
Regular
Regular

Re: Unforgettable Games

Post by milo christiansen »

TES4: Oblivion. In my opinion the greatest game of all time. The only other game that comes close is Fallout 3.

There is no one (or two) best thing(s) about it but as a whole it has used up more of my time than any other game (sorry warzone :lol2: )
In general, if you see glowing, pulsating things in the game, you should click on them.
- Demigod Game Ganual
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

I think Mero meant games as in "Warzone 2100 games" (:
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

I think Mero meant games as in "Warzone 2100 games" (:
Unfortunatelly yes, i am sorry if my description of the purpose of this thread was not clear enough..

Let me fix the title of the thread, and all will be good, I will make separate one for Warzone 2100 sessions :)
“Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.” - V

"Mark my words boy, Mark them well, I have survived your predecessors and I will survive you." - Merovingian

Regards - Mero
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Re: Unforgettable Games That You Have Ever Played

Post by Merowingg »

The threads purpose is changed entirely :) accidentally thanx to milo christiansen :) we have interesting topic here :)

Now NoQ my friend please obey and give us short story of your unforgettable experience with a game :)
TES4: Oblivion. In my opinion the greatest game of all time. The only other game that comes close is Fallout 3.
I have seen TES4 Oblivion and indeed it looks amazing, I completely forgot about the game, I think it might be in gold editions now (my country) which mean cheaper so maybe I will buy it :hmm:

Speaking of Fallout 3 do you mean this almost newest one, FPS with many alternate endings ?? or do you mean Fallout Tactics, maybe it is a strange question, but some people call Tactics the third part.. And did you play the previous three ones then ?? I remember playing the first one about five years ago at a very old PC at my mothers flat, my friend gave me at the evening and I played entire night :) unfortunatelly all ended at the very beginning because not long after the PC broke..

The first part is considered by many as masterpiece of all times, I know of course every one has his point of view :)

I have the special collection of first three part in a box, waiting to be played, but yet I didnt start..

As far as I remember there was a game called Metal Warrior or something like that, with the same mechanisms like the first Fallouts, I am not sure about the title, I would have to look for it in my very big and deep closed with CDs :)

Fortunatelly we have a magazine here in Poland, which exists on market for over fifteen years, so it is very long, many meanwile appearad and failed, it is called CD - Action and this magazine places at least two games and a lot of different stuff with the paper, so we can enjoy :)

I will try to write something about my favourite game and why, although I think it might be extremely difficult for me :)

I think it might be The Witcher
There is no one (or two) best thing(s) about it but as a whole it has used up more of my time than any other game (sorry warzone :lol2: )
Traitor ! guards take him ! ;)

Regards - Mero
Shadow Wolf TJC
Regular
Regular

Post by Shadow Wolf TJC »

Well, other than Warzone 2100 for its customizable units, I gotta admit that, after playing through Doom 3 and enjoying it, I'm convinced that horror games go pretty well with first-person shooters. I also have fond memories of Metroid Fusion, which introduced me not only to the 2D Metroid games, but also to platform-adventure games (including Cave Story and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night) in general.
Creator of Warzone 2100: Contingency!
Founder of Wikizone 2100: http://wikizone2100.wikia.com/wiki/Wikizone_2100
milo christiansen
Regular
Regular

Post by milo christiansen »

Merowingg wrote:Speaking of Fallout 3 do you mean this almost newest one, FPS with many alternate endings ?? or do you mean Fallout Tactics
I have, and like, both but I meant the FPS. Tactics is one of the best squad based games I have played, superseded only by Jagged Alliance 2

I really like open world games like Oblivion, Fallout 3, Farcry 2, ... The Witcher is another of my favorites :) although some parts are a little juvenile :wink:

Never played any of the ones Shadow Wolf mentioned :(
In general, if you see glowing, pulsating things in the game, you should click on them.
- Demigod Game Ganual
zydonk
Trained
Trained

Post by zydonk »

WZ2100, because it plays and plays.
Privateer, used to play it on a 386 for 12 hours at a stretch.
Ultima IX, weird but so beautiful...
Morrowind - son of Ult 9 - still like to take a wander through its vast terrain...
Half Life 2, playing it again - seventh or eight time: Hell on earth but a rat maze that doesn't feel like a rat maze.
Settlers (the original game): one big big game lasted over three years; I had over 4000 soldiers. Hard to believe the game was released back in 1993.
Black Project
Regular
Regular

Post by Black Project »

From Playstation One (PSX):
Demolition Racer
Driver & Driver 2
Gran Turismo 1 & 2
Medal of Honor (the first one) and MoH: Underground
Quake II
Soviet/Nuclear Strike (from Strike series)
Test Drive Off-Road 3
Test Drive 6
Twisted Metal 3 & 4
Vigilante 8 and V8: 2nd Offense
WarGames: Defcon 1
Warzone 2100 (my favorite one, it's modding capability on PC version was a "fatal" addiction for me :3 )
Wipeout XL

From Playstation Two (PS2):
Black
Call of Duty II: Big Red One
Gran Turismo 4
GTA San Andreas
Medal of Honor: Frontline/Rising Sun/European Assault

...and maybe a few games that i don't remember well BTW.

Regards BP
Last edited by Black Project on 15 Sep 2011, 02:46, edited 1 time in total.
E-102 Gamma
Regular
Regular

Post by E-102 Gamma »

Jazz Jackrabbit 2 and the Command & Conquer games up until C&C3. EA absolutely destroyed C&C with C&C3 and onward.
Shadow Wolf TJC
Regular
Regular

E-102 Gamma wrote:Jazz Jackrabbit 2 and the Command & Conquer games up until C&C3. EA absolutely destroyed C&C with C&C3 and onward.
Hey, I liked C&C3, and have an interest in getting Red Alert 3 as well. However, I didn't like what they did to C&C4. They pretty much turned it into a real-time-tactics game by removing the base building and resource gathering mechanics, core mechanics for not just the Command & Conquer series, but for real-time strategy games in general. Sorry EA, but I'd rather play C&C3, Starcraft 2, or even C&C Generals (probably my least favorite rts game that I've ever played) over C&C4. Perhaps if it was a spinoff title that was called something like "Command & Conquer: Squad Commander" or "Command & Conquer: Squad Tactics" instead of "Command & Conquer: Tiberian Twilight", then I'd be less upset about it (like Command & Conquer: Renegade), though I still wouldn't buy it.
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

Anyone ever played Free Allegiance? I used to play it... it was fun, has a big learning curve, but back then my pc was sooooo slow. Now I have a mac

Its an FPS/RTS

it's very interesting.... but only runs on windows

http://www.freeallegiance.org/
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
E-102 Gamma
Regular
Regular

Post by E-102 Gamma »

Shadow Wolf TJC wrote:Hey, I liked C&C3, and have an interest in getting Red Alert 3 as well.
Please tell me you've played C&C Tiberian Sun and Red Alert 2...

C&C3 wasn't that bad, I'll give you that. But EA shouldn't have made a 3D game out of a 2D game. The quality of the C&C games took a downturn with C&C3 (or even Generals, perhaps). C&C, with the exception of Renegade and Generals, should have stayed 2D (or 2 1/2D).
Shadow Wolf TJC wrote:However, I didn't like what they did to C&C4. They pretty much turned it into a real-time-tactics game by removing the base building and resource gathering mechanics, core mechanics for not just the Command & Conquer series, but for real-time strategy games in general.
Agreed. What they did with C&C4 was absolutely stupid. "Hey guys, let's make another C&C game, replace every core game mechanic we can think of, and still call it a C&C game." :stare:
Shadow Wolf TJC wrote:Sorry EA, but I'd rather play C&C3, Starcraft 2, or even C&C Generals (probably my least favorite rts game that I've ever played) over C&C4.
Oi! I liked C&C Generals. :(

I do agree, though. I'd play just about any other RTS instead of C&C4 any day.
Shadow Wolf TJC wrote: Perhaps if it was a spinoff title that was called something like "Command & Conquer: Squad Commander" or "Command & Conquer: Squad Tactics" instead of "Command & Conquer: Tiberian Twilight", then I'd be less upset about it (like Command & Conquer: Renegade), though I still wouldn't buy it.
C&C4 would be a tad more acceptable in my book if it weren't called C&C4. It shares almost no game mechanics and very few units with its predecessors.
Shadow Wolf TJC
Regular
Regular

Please tell me you've played C&C Tiberian Sun and Red Alert 2...
Yes I have, and the original Command & Conquer (aka Tiberian Dawn) and Red Alert as well. In fact, Red Alert 2 was the 1st game in the C&C franchise that I ever got into, and my 2nd rts game as well.

Back then, I had lost my original PS1 copy of Warzone 2100, and I had such fond memories of that game. When my family was spending the night at another family's home, I caught a glimpse of someone playing Red Alert 2. That game reminded me of Warzone 2100 that I later decided to get a copy of the game for myself. From there, I checked out several other Command & Conquer games (including a N64 port of the original Command & Conquer), yet Red Alert 2 remained my favorite game in the franchise, until C&C3 came along that is.

I took a look at the C&C3 demo, and it seemed to improve upon Red Alert 2's interface (which, back then, was the most advanced interface that I knew about for a C&C game) while also borrowing some gameplay features from Tiberian Sun (which allowed you to power down structures to allowcate power to other structures) and even Generals (which allowed you to purchase upgrades for your units or structures, to use support powers, to occupy neutral structures with many different kinds of infantry, to clear said structures of enemy infantry with certain units without destroying the structure in the process, and to build more than 1 structure, infantry, vehicle, or aircraft at a time, unlike in previous games). It even introduced a couple new features to the old C&C formula, such as surveyers and cranes.

Like Red Alert 2, I liked what I saw there, so I later purchased C&C3 for myself. I'll admit that I did miss the walkers (until Kane's Wrath came along), the burrowing units (though they probably wouldn't have worked out unless they were modified so that they couldn't travel far while burrowing), or the Forgotten's involvement in the story, though as of the latest patch, I do believe that they did a nice job on balancing the different factions out, though they could've made Mutant Hovels a bit more useful by adding more infantry types in there.
C&C3 wasn't that bad, I'll give you that. But EA shouldn't have made a 3D game out of a 2D game. The quality of the C&C games took a downturn with C&C3 (or even Generals, perhaps). C&C, with the exception of Renegade and Generals, should have stayed 2D (or 2 1/2D).
What's wrong with switching from a 2D perspective to a 3D perspective? I personally don't care about graphics all that much, though I do think that a 3D perspective has the potential to introduce new gameplay mechanics, like firing from a higher altitude to hit enemies at a lower altitude from further away than normal, or using cliffs to shield your units from artillery fire. I don't know what advantages in terms of gameplay a 2D or 2.5D perspective could offer over a 3D perspective.
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

Gentlemen :)
but also to platform-adventure games (including Cave Story and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night)
Well I have heard about Castlevania I have to look for it :)
The Witcher is another of my favorites :) although some parts are a little juvenile :wink:
Can you please explain what you mean by this juvenile thing ?? :) And have you seen The Witxher 2 ?? I have bought it and it is a masterpiece for me, although I dont have time to play it.. Read about it please, it is really innovative and have already won a lot of international awards :) And I played Far Cry one, I think it is great too, did not play 2 yet..
Half Life 2, playing it again - seventh or eight time: Hell on earth but a rat maze that doesn't feel like a rat maze.
Can you imagine I did not play Hal Life 2 never yet.. I know it is horrible but it is the fact.. I am not proud of it..
Settlers (the original game): one big big game lasted over three years; I had over 4000 soldiers. Hard to believe the game was released back in 1993.
I remember the first part was given to polish gaming magazine about three years ago, just to refresh memories, I indeed had fun with it :)
Gran Turismo 4
I played the first part as I had only PSX One.. but still i have spent many hours playing it :) I remember great car, I think Toyota Supra :) which was almost flying on the trucks :)

I played Gran Turismo 2 too :) It was like wow, when I saw all this shops and settings to do with the cars :)
GTA San Andreas
I love this game :) Althoug I had bad luck with it.. I started and played three times and I have lost saves due to making system, once broken hard disc and things like that..

But the story, the cars, painting them, upgrading, heheh a lot of great stuff :) and so big city :) motorbikes :)
Medal of Honor: Frontline/Rising Sun/European Assault
Speaking of medal of honor I played the first part on PSX again.. and it was great for me at that times, well in fact i think it still is :) If the 2 nd part was on one too, I played 2 too :)
Driver & Driver 2
I agree.. I did not went to school few times becuse of Driver one :) hundreds of hours spend on wandering around the city :)

The second part was a little bit worse I suppose, but hard to estimate now, I remember this guy who culd go out and into cars but he walked as he would have granades in pockets :P
Command & Conquer
Well I played the Red Alert one :) and one more whcih title I dont remember.. damn it was a cool game too :) One of my first games on PSX one, so imagine my surprise when I sent infantry on tanks in one of the first missions :P

I spoke only about games mentioned here.. :) There is plenty of I would talk for hours, but cannot recall the titles right now..

Ah maybe Age of Empires 3 :) I do love this game !! Everything from music which I have on my I pod till graphics and sound i simply love :) And there was few cool missions there :)

And Syphon Filter 1,2, 3 :) anyone recall that game ?? :)

And of course Metal Gear solid !! damn masterpiece !!

I have second part on PC but not played it yet.. it took me a lot of time to ajust the game to new pc, and there is like 984594895849 buttons which move snake :)

Crash Bandicoot 3 great :)

V rally 2

Fear Effect 2

Chrono Cross

Need For Speed Most Wanted, another hundreds of hours :)

F.E.A.R

Assassin's Creed 1 2 Brotherhood Is being played now :)

Dragon Age 2

Resident Evil 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 being played now :)

Omg I have so much to finish :D

Tekken 3

Super Mario Bross 3 on Nintendo from 1992

Ok that is enough for now, but it is maybe 10 % :)

Regards - Mero