pipe dream

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
medusa
Trained
Trained

pipe dream

Post by medusa »

looking over all these things and it seems that this forum's purpose is to hype things that will never be in the game.
the ones in the sticky post don't have a time line or anything, so should we take this forum section seriously?
even that idea torrent that is mentioned in the sticky, https://sourceforge.net/apps/ideatorrent/warzone2100/ is dead.
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Re: pipe dream

Post by Goth Zagog-Thou »

*waits for the hammer to drop*..

Seriously, you should be more understanding. This project is open-source. AKA A labour of love. People work on it in their spare time. None of the programmers, website owners / maintainers, developers, nobody gets paid for this work.

You appear to have confused this project with something commercial. It's not. We all try to do a good job on it, but nobody can devote their entire life to this. We have other (read paying ) jobs that take precedence.

Again -- this is a labour of love, first and foremost.
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

if you have any coding skills, are an artist, have mac coding skills, the dev's are always looking for help.... dont complain, pitch in. this way we all benefit. :)
medusa
Trained
Trained

Post by medusa »

Goth Zagog-Thou wrote:*waits for the hammer to drop*..

Seriously, you should be more understanding. This project is open-source. AKA A labour of love. People work on it in their spare time. None of the programmers, website owners / maintainers, developers, nobody gets paid for this work.

You appear to have confused this project with something commercial. It's not. We all try to do a good job on it, but nobody can devote their entire life to this. We have other (read paying ) jobs that take precedence.

Again -- this is a labour of love, first and foremost.
shouldn't they mention this in a prominent area? You have to dig really deep to find out that nobody is getting paid.
I still don't see the reason for this section or that idea tracker, this is just like a brag and moan section that other forums have.
isn't it random luck for them to see all this talk and then decide to make it?
driver4
Trained
Trained

Post by driver4 »

I did not have to dig deep at all to find out that nobody was getting paid anymore for a game that was made in 1999 and released for free after the community requested the developers to do such... just to keep the game alive. So clearly, nobody here developing is a professional game designer getting paid, because they put the community first and foremost, which is why Warzone 2100 is free today.

I found out that the current devs weren't getting paid when I clicked on the Warzone 2100 wikipedia (Happy to learn more about this awesome game) and started reading about the original developers getting fired from Eidos soon after WZ's release... It's not like somebody would start developing again on a game and get paid when it is in cult status XD
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

the source code was released in 2004... and since then there has been many minor and major releases. thing is - and i asked this at the begining... keep everything documented... as you can see , some was, some isnt, and your left to dig. read what you can find. most ( if not all ) is in the development tab... some of that was done previously by my self - and updated by others as they did it... really is a shame that no one reads the fracking docs ... i spent an inordinate amount of time , as well as others... makes me :x . anyways... unless your a complete illiterate ( not anyone in particular - just saying ) . all the information one could use is there. ok?? thanks for reading thus far.

as an aside: i used the word fracking ... not the other... see how much nicer on the eyes that is. :hmm:
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Post by Goth Zagog-Thou »

So, medusa, you're saying that expressing ideas to make Warzone better is a waste of time or bragging .. or a pipe dream?

I strongly disagree. In fact, I'll challenge that statement outright. The ideas that are currently being incorporated into Warzone are ones that have arisen from this very sub-forum. The new terrain renderer? Came from an idea someone had.

Balance changes? Again, came from here.

New Campaign? That's been an idea since 2000, in one form or another.

New models? Also in the works since 2001.

I urge you to remember that in an open-source project like this one, things can move slowly. It's simply a fact of business. If, per se, there were a paying benefactor who could take care of the monetary needs of the development team and website maintainers, things would move faster.

But your position that the ideas expressed to improve Warzone are a "pipe dream" or "bragging" -- that's rather offensive, considering that this game is free; and an insult to the people who develop and maintain the site.
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

medusa wrote:shouldn't they mention this in a prominent area? You have to dig really deep to find out that nobody is getting paid.
On the front page, under the download buttons, is an "about us" link.

(As an aside, there was a thread about redesigning the website some time ago, where I mentioned that it might be a good idea to rearrange information so it is easy for people to find. The thread continued for pages on how icons should look, so now we have a slick and (too?) professional-looking website (which, as another aside, is also harder to change than before), where a lot of information is well-hidden.)
We want information... information... information.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

medusa wrote:shouldn't they mention this in a prominent area?
Guess what? http://guide.wz2100.net/faq :roll:
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

it is what annoys the heck out of me... NO ONE READS ANYMORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :annoyed:
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

:D Well, probably the thing you want to say boils down to "no one who ask questions reads anymore", and this doesn't allow us to estimate the amount of people who read (?) (:
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

NoQ wrote::D Well, probably the thing you want to say boils down to "no one who ask questions reads anymore", and this doesn't allow us to estimate the amount of people who read (?) (:

no... i know that no one reads anymore due to the amount of people still asking the FAQ type questions... geez... i dunno how many times i or some one else has answered these same questions..over and over and over and over ( to the power of 20)... at least.
not complaining...just saying. :3
medusa
Trained
Trained

Post by medusa »

lav_coyote25 wrote:it is what annoys the heck out of me... NO ONE READS ANYMORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :annoyed:
it is more annoying that this simple information isn't visible at a glance.
it should be mentioned on the front page or that banner, we shouldn't have to click on links to find out all the information about this project.
something simple like This is a open source GPL game that is done by volunteers ever since the release of the game to the public.
it ain't that hard to inform everyone. :roll:
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

medusa wrote:
lav_coyote25 wrote:it is what annoys the heck out of me... NO ONE READS ANYMORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :annoyed:
it is more annoying that this simple information isn't visible at a glance.
it should be mentioned on the front page or that banner, we shouldn't have to click on links to find out all the information about this project.
something simple like This is a open source GPL game that is done by volunteers ever since the release of the game to the public.
it ain't that hard to inform everyone. :roll:
your volunteering... just asking... :hmm:
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

it ain't that hard to inform everyone.
It's still hard to put *everything* on the front page. That's what FAQ is for, by definition.