Counter for Multiplayer Quiters...

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Re: Counter for Multiplayer Quiters...

Post by Merowingg »

And Up :)

As I think it is great idea :)

i am reported all the time by my friends that you quiters spread with lights speed..

And a host quiter.. well should be banned automatically for 3 months !!

Who agrees with my idea of counter and support my anti quiter follow me ! type here :)

Those who quit and dare to type here, I wish you to be spoted soon and added to our long quiters list :evil:
“Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.” - V

"Mark my words boy, Mark them well, I have survived your predecessors and I will survive you." - Merovingian

Regards - Mero
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

I think that having a progress bar next to quitters like red green or orange is a good idea.
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

I think that having a progress bar next to quitters like red green or orange is a good idea.
And thank you very much :)

Any other followers ?? :)
“Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.” - V

"Mark my words boy, Mark them well, I have survived your predecessors and I will survive you." - Merovingian

Regards - Mero
Shadow Wolf TJC
Regular
Regular

Post by Shadow Wolf TJC »

I'd certainly support this feature. We'd be able to determine how often they disconnect and see if we should even bother playing against them or not.

By the way, I've heard that some other game(s) out there actually punishes disconnectors by matching them up with other disconnectors so that the rest can have the fair matches that they so desperately want. It might prove useful if we implemented something like that... if the game supported some sort of random matchmaking mode, which I don't know if it does (as I've never been online yet).
Creator of Warzone 2100: Contingency!
Founder of Wikizone 2100: http://wikizone2100.wikia.com/wiki/Wikizone_2100
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

Is that what we are talking about ?
Here is the ticket : http://developer.wz2100.net/ticket/2795 . We just need devs to accept it now.
Attachments
preview of the proposed patch
preview of the proposed patch
Heretic 2.3 improver and proud of it.
Wisler
Trained
Trained

Post by Wisler »

I think this is a great idea, but sometimes you need to quit, if someone disconnects or just quits and makes the game unbalanced.

Maybe on the player screen in-game add a feature that allows people to accept everyone is allowed to quit and can tick in, and other players can see when all players are agreed, and all can quit without consequences. Could be too complicated, but even without this I still think this feature is definitely worth putting in the game.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.

Pm me to try out for RBL.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

You guys do know that it is trivial to edit any of this stuff ?
Until we have a secured log in system, then this is more of a gimmick than anything else.
and it ends here.
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

@Wisler : I know that sometime even excellent players quit. You'll notice that I have deliberatly fixed the gold standard pretty high. So most of us fall under the silver ranking. I believe keeping that silver star will be fairly simple. You dont need to change your habit.

@Buginator : I added a 16:1 and even a 32:1 medal. I have also added a pen icon for peoples that have incoherent stats (after an edit). It will be a bit more tricky then it was to edit your stat and look 100% legit. On top of that I believe that this change will make us use a lot more the ranking as an indicator to make fair teams. This mean that peoples with unlegitimate stars will end up playing in a weaker team most of the time. Anyway I think that it's better then nothing.
bigseb
Greenhorn

Post by bigseb »

effigy wrote:AFAIK the only people on IRC who quit early on a regular basis have crappy Internet service...
+1

Here in South Africa internet is expensive and unreliable. That's the main reason why I have not tried gaming online yet... chances are I will lose my connection halfway through the game. Hopefully we'll catch up top the the rest of the world soon.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Buginator wrote:Until we have a secured log in system
... which we now do have :-)

But it is still quite hard to implement this in a reliable manner. Especially in a 1-v-1 game, who is to report the quitter, and how can we trust the reporter?
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

I am a bit unsure why quitting in Starcraft2 meets such a different attitude. There it is not just accepted to quit, but in fact, encouraged to do so when you are obviously losing. Perhaps it is because of the meta-game, where people play for rank, and the fact that each game is usually shorter and with more constant action. So maybe once we get a meta-game and iron out the rules a bit, the "problem" of quitting will also go away.
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

In 1vs1, when the issu is evident and the game is not ending in the next few minutes there is not real problems at quitting. It is specially true in arty war or when your opponent is dumb and invest massively in research instead of giving a final assault (OMG please dont quit... I'm 10 minute away from lassat >.>).

But in FFA, your opponent will not end his game straight after you defeat. He will need to fire each single survivor and resistant to claim the ground, but the time he spend on you his a risk he is taking. Quitting before the end in thoses cicumstances is giving him a real and unfair advantage.

Same for teams game, yesterday I killed 3 trucks with a small 3 mg on wheel rush (if i can call it a rush) and that guy just quitted with a fully operationnal base. Well... i fought the 3 other teamates left behind during another 30 more minutes. That's really bad quits. It break the balance and change the chances of others to win/lose and it's always at the advantage of your attacker not your allies. That's why we hate quitters :) .
Fastdeath
Trained
Trained

Post by Fastdeath »

I also think quitters are lame, especialy host quitters, i have an idea howto solve that.

1.) Implement server-side stats.
2.) Add an option "quitting allowed" to the F5 screen.
3.) Hosts Reports when not checked, host quits will also be reported.
4.) Half of games quitted = quitter show somewhere.

The "problem" currently is where to show this stuff.
Another thing we have to think off is in-game kicks (host kicks all enemys = host quit?)
Nightly builds available here see buildbot for more infos about them
Lobby Server: here and here
SharpFlame the new WZ Map Editor
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

I dont think a quittung stat needs an option, it could justbe a stat. All stats could be visible in the player list with RMB (similar to flag color).
This is why some features aren't implemented: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7490&view=unread#p87241
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

"Shaming" quitters isn't the right solution, since, as Per mentioned, many people don't think it's a bad thing.

In practically every strategy game, you'll notice that more casual gamers don't like quitting because they find the satisfaction of destroying the enemy more important, while more hardcore gamers (whether in StarCraft, chess, or similar games) don't like people who don't quit, since it's wasting time they could be spending on playing their next game.

Liquipedia provides one summary: http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/BM
Not leaving the game - When you know you have lost the game, you should leave. Dragging out a game by not leaving is both annoying and rude to players and observers.
Players will of course have preferences, but I don't think the game itself should have any bias about which is better.